1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
These were interesting bikes. Heavy British iron, two crankshafts that were geared together. They were made for touring and there were some great old fairings and touring kits made for them. I often wondered how practical they were.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Well it's priced like a restoration but doesn't quite fit the definition of a restoration...... paint by the Slap Happy Group where prep is a dirty word and being color blind means never having to match original paint.
Rusty fasteners are cool patina on a non restored bike.....
Too bad ....

·
Registered
315 Posts
I saw one of these that was "chopped" around 1967 or so. It may be hard to picture or imagine, but it actually looked good.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I rarely see one for sale and thought the group would like it for its history. The last complete one I saw was brand new , lightly oil misted, and wrapped in plastic.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
That's the first one I've seen other than in magazine or internet pictures, and certainly the first one I've ever seen for sale. I think someone figured "resale red" would get it done... but that's a big price for, as boomer said, what looks to be an 80% restoration claimed as fully restored. Note the car in the garage is red as well

·
Registered
632 Posts
It's a lot of money for a Squariel. The Sunbeam S7 was a nicer bike. It had ballon tyres too like the current trend! And Shaft drive!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Awesome bikes, I always felt like those exhausts were going to be trouble though. Beautiful, interesting British design.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
342 Posts
I actually saw one in a dealer show room, more beautiful in person.
They started the motor, sounded great. Ran about 30 seconds and ran out of gas.
I gave up on having one many years ago.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
It's a lot of money for a Squariel. The Sunbeam S7 was a nicer bike. It had ballon tyres too like the current trend! And Shaft drive!
I was riding with a S7 this summer. The Seattle Vintage Motorcycle Association did a pre-75 ride. There was a Harley KH, a bunch of Triumphs, Ariel Red Hunter, Royal Enfield 650, Norton Atlas and BAS A10. The S7 was slow and held the entire group of 30 bikes back. 76Twin and I were the only Hondas.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I was riding with a S7 this summer. The Seattle Vintage Motorcycle Association did a pre-75 ride. There was a Harley KH, a bunch of Triumphs, Ariel Red Hunter, Royal Enfield 650, Norton Atlas and BAS A10. The S7 was slow and held the entire group of 30 bikes back. 76Twin and I were the only Hondas.
The red hunter is the best Ariel.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The red hunter is the best Ariel.
The guy I mentioned with a Squariel wrapped in plastic's dad had a Red Hunter. That was years ago, and his dad was old back then. Lost touch with them.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
The guy I mentioned with a Squariel wrapped in plastic's dad had a Red Hunter. That was years ago, and his dad was old back then. Lost touch with them.
The 4 is just such an amazing design to look at. But I remember reading red hunter road tests and ledgends saying how fast theyd go. They just look the best of all the old singles.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
IIRC, in 1952, BSA and others came out with the 'plunger' rear suspension. Triumph used a 'sprung hub'. I had a Triumph sprung hub on my 350 BSA.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts