Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any pics of a 350 or 360 with a 19" front wheel?

I would like longer forks, doing a scrambler with my CB360. What I may have access to is a CB500t frame with forks, triples and wheel, there is literally nothing else available in my area and I am on an extreme budget after purchasing all the other parts. I don't have a chart but I'm assuming the 500 has slightly longer forks (I will measure), but it has a 19" wheel I would probably have to use at least until I decide if I like the bike enough to order alloy rims. I prefer the look of the 18" wheels (even though 19 is better off road). Would like to know what this combo would look like before purchasing.

Generally speaking, I feel the entire bike is a little small/low, am trying to beef it up some before I just upgrade to a larger bike in general. The goal is a cool vintage bike I can ride around town as well as gravel backroads. I think raising it up an inch and adding enduro tires will fix some of the issues I personally have with it. If anyone has done this and has pictures or a link I would love to see it!

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
The problem - depending on your view, of course - with a 500T front end or wheel is the disc brake. CL450s have a 19" front wheel and a drum brake, and the CL350 does as well. After looking at the fiche at cmsnl.com, it appears the CL360 has an 18" front wheel

·
Registered
589 Posts
The SL350 K0 has a 19in front; the frame is also similar to the 360. Obviously the front brake on the SL's is a drum and the mudguard set-up would look different, but if you want to get an idea of stance/geometry, have a look for images of one of those. You'll probably find the front end rake is at a different angle, but there wouldn't be much in it. If you needed to go bigger, the K2 has a 21in front wheel.

If you've got access to the whole front end (and can get a master cylinder set-up for the disk brake) from the 500, the swap shouldn't be that hard. You'll need to press the stems out of the lower yokes and transplant one to the other. And if you're right about the forks, you may need to push them up through the top yokes to balance everything out. But again, not too tricky. Just be aware that if you decide to go for a scrambler-type mudguard, the forks might feel a little wobbly 'cos the original one acts as something of a brace.

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
Something to consider is where the oil pump pickup is located. When I got my 450, it had extended forks - maybe an extra 7". The cams were pitted and burnt looking, likely from oil starvation. Just putting it out there ...

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I've got a front end from a SOHC CB450 1978 that has a 19" wheel with drum brake, perhaps one like it will do?

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Just look at a CL 350....It had a 19" front wheel......

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Trying to figure out how this forum works on my phone, don't quite have the hang of it yet. Anyway, thanks for the replies, the cl350 is not bad. It appears the cb500t fork is as pitted as mine, I may hold out for another. If this bike works out I will get wider alloy rims and lace them. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
My CB360 has a 19" front wheel...and a different front end!

Reactions: DieselKrampus

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I can hardly notice that being a 19" kukster86, thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for! Nice bike, I ran across your bike on youtube or google pics? when researching what to do with mine.

plus your headlight mount lowers the light to about where I want it.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I can hardly notice that being a 19" kukster86, thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for! Nice bike, I ran across your bike on youtube or google pics? when researching what to do with mine.

plus your headlight mount lowers the light to about where I want it.
Cool, glad to help! It wasn't a design decision made by me, as the bike came from the previous owner that way. It wasn't till a year into ownership (and joining this forum) that it was pointed out as my knowledge of CB's was negligible. The bike handles well with the larger front wheel and I have no complaints, so I never bothered to look for a CB360 replacement front end. Plus ribbed gaiters look great on any bike!

Reactions: chaindrivecharlie
1 - 10 of 10 Posts