Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I new here so this might have been asked befor, I looked but couldn't find.

is there a comstar '16 that will fit the comstar '18 rear on type 2 cm400a? I'd like to lower the bike a bit, and gain some low end with the smaller tire. I seen some on ebay for a 500 honda that looked simular but who knows
thanks

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
First, let me say I BELIEVE that several CM models came with 16" comstars.....(CM 450 and Nighthawk maybe?)
HOWEVER, a 500X 16 tire/wheel has the same height and circumference as a 400X18 tire/wheel combo (no lowering involved)......You will LOSE HP turning over the heavier tire though.....

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks sprint,
I have been running mt90x16 on all my bikes, was hoping to keep the trend. I really want to drop the rear an inch or two.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
A MT90 might lower it a smidge (1/4" to 1/2"or so)...But shorter shocks will lower it about 1' to 1&1/2".....
Is this a seat height (leg length) issue, or are we going for styling?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all style I'm afraid. the little bike was just to 'stock' for my taste. I ran great handled well, a real suprise, but I"m a chopper guy at heart. I already cut off the rear sub-frame in prep for struts to drop it down as far as physically possible. I'd like to get it to about the same height as a stock Rebel. My wife rides one, and is intersted in the automatic feature of the cm400a.
by the way, it did have clubman bars on it with I got it. I was really suprised how that stance helped in the wind and road handling, not so much in town. That 'cafe' style stance made my hands hurt?

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Check out member "amehl" and his 1980 CM....Looks like a 16" rear Comstar to me....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Did you find your 16 inch comstars?
I live in NE Wisconsin a bit of a drive but have a cm400 with 16 inch comstars that I would be willing to trade for the 18s as long as they fit both bikes. Mine is not an auto so I do not know if that will make a diference.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Straight up trade as far as fitment........AFAIK...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts