Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As if I did not know better.

Why oh why would I attempt to recreate a CB450D?

Was it because I got an old D tank at a good price and then invested in getting it repaired?

Probably...

So yes gang, I am restoring a late model CB450K0 (the right model numbers to have worn a silver D kit) and I am chasing D parts.

Not all the D parts, I have the tank and I now have repro side covers out of Thailand. I plan to keep the standard low bars, fenders, footpegs, kickstart, etc and just fit D model tank, side covers, seat and pipes.

It's as if back in '67 a CB450K0 owner went to the dealer and just bought those parts for his bike - or that's my back story.

So here is where I am at in the photo, engine rebuilt and in the rebuilt frame. Repainted tinware is due soon, along with a bunch of re chromed parts. Then I can build up a set of wheels and get it rolling.

Last item to find is a decent set of D pipes ...

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
Wow! That is a VERY nice concept idea and certainly an interesting project to watch! Yesterday I've just read on a German website that the silver D model kits were for customers only and whereas the coloured kits went to dealerships only to remove the - then not so much loved - Bomber design. So the silver kit seems right for what you're doing ;-)
I've also read that the D stands for "Dream" as used in earlier models. I've always thought the D came from the D-shaped front fender design... I hope you'll find a nice pair of D-pipes!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow! That is a VERY nice concept idea and certainly an interesting project to watch! Yesterday I've just read on a German website that the silver D model kits were for customers only and whereas the coloured kits went to dealerships only to remove the - then not so much loved - Bomber design. So the silver kit seems right for what you're doing ;-)
I've also read that the D stands for "Dream" as used in earlier models. I've always thought the D came from the D-shaped front fender design... I hope you'll find a nice pair of D-pipes!
As far as I know the D stood for dealer kit.

Meanwhile I patiently continue my pipe dream ...

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Updates.

I got my re chromed parts back and I got my re painted parts back in the same week, so suddenly lots to do.

Front end built, guards fitted, wiring completed.

48382190_2027169614026347_3138190864971464704_n.jpg 48382457_2027169560693019_2327644851618709504_n.jpg 48413526_2027169567359685_2355988861223436288_n.jpg

Next step - drop the hubs and rims off for new spokes.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
I saw a nice one of those at the Barber Vintage Festival last year.

P1020563.JPG

P1020565.JPG

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I wonder if they took points off for the improperly-routed clutch cable... can't believe a bike that nice had it run that way. Otherwise, a beautiful example

·
Registered
686 Posts
Wow, that bike looks so cool already. I just wonder if there was also a D model set with painted fenders. Thought they were always chromed..

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, that bike looks so cool already. I just wonder if there was also a D model set with painted fenders. Thought they were always chromed..
Well - the backstory for my build is "suppose this guy who owned a Black Bomber walked into a Honda dealership when he saw the D kit on display and just bought the tank, seat and side covers because he liked them?"

That's my bike.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want to put the bomber in a bike show in April and there is no way I will find D pipes by then.

So for the show it will have D tank and side covers.

I will make a D seat by extending a K0 seat pan.

And I will just run stock later model headers in black with short hot dog pipes, cheapest way to get it on the road and being used as I wait for the day D pipes become mine.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aaaand six months later...

Gave up on building a D and decided to restore the bike as a bomber.

Got 99% of the way there and then a mate wanted to buy it.

He made me a good offer so now it is with him.

Means I have time to play with Barry the CB350 race bike and also buy the Honda I have always wanted ...

64786604_2336670493076256_5850881299908132864_n.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts