Honda Twins banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am confused. I just bought a 1973 CD175 and it has a 12 volt battery. I thought they all where 6 volt systems. How can I tell if this OK and if not what could happen? I am finding it hard to find any information on line about these beautiful beasts.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
One of the small bike gurus will likely be along to confirm (or not) but I suspect your bike was converted to the 12v system. Not an uncommon mod.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The CD175 is similar in most respects to the CB175, the FSM I have that covers the US CB K0, 3 & 4 lists it as a 12V system

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am pretty sure it is a Canadian T4 model. The previous owner told me that the Honda dealer told him it was 12 volt.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
If the lights work then it has likely been converted.
Pull an easy bulb like an indicator and it should say 12v on the base.
Does the battery stay charged through regular use?

As a CD owner and a converter from 6v to 12v I can tell you that IMO for consistency you need the stator as well as the battery, bulbs and regulator/rectifier to make it work... consistently.
Coil, condenser and points are ok, I’ve changed them eventually anyway.
Other people have said that they kept the original 6v stator and it would charge through a new 12v reg/rec to a 12-13v level to the battery, however I couldn’t get mine to charge unless thrashing the living daylights out of it.

Only thing I ended up keeping was the horn, which is now quite high pitched!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok pulled a different indicator light. It is a 6v bulb. I did get a spare stator with the bike. How do I know if it is a 6v or 12v stator? While the bike is idling I read 12.4v at the battery. Is there a part number or some type of indication on the rectifier to tell me if it is a 6v or 12v. Not sure if it stays charged just got it yesterday. The previous owner did say he keep blowing fuses???

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just thinking about my previous post. I am reading 12.4v while idlling because I am reading battery voltage I would think. Is there any advantage to switching system to 12 volts if it is not already?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can somebody tell me what voltage I should be getting out of the rectifier to the battery. Right now I get 12.5 volts. I am thinking this would not be enough to charge a 12 volt battery. Would it be too high for a 6 volt battery. would hate to buy a 6 volt battery just to fry it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts