Honda Twins banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I forgot to order tubes with my tire, so I am going to the shop to pick some up and get the tires mounted. The 2 shops near me however dont have the right size tubes. One doesnt have one at all near the size, and the other has a 110/90-18 tube. I am sticking 100/90-18 tire on my front rim (3.50S18 originals), and I was wondering how poor of an idea this is? The shop thinks it should be fine, but figured I'd try getting some insight from the people im not giving money to.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Yeah it "should be fine". Personally if it's not correct then I won't do it since my life means more to me than "should be".

·
Sensei
27,171 Posts
Back in the day, the consensus was one size larger tube (+ 1/4") could be used, but not one size smaller... (the thought being it would be too thin upon inflation)..
Even at that, back then there was a 3.75" tire and TUBE that was the next size up.....
I would NOT recommend using a 110 tube in a 100 tire...There is a .89" difference in sizing, NOT the .25" we used as a limit....

Frankly, I would not run that ~4.00" tire on the front either ...(actual size of a 100/ tire is ~3.94" IF it's in a wide enough rim...)
A 90/90 is the correct replacement size for a 3.50" tire.... (actual size ~3.54", again dependent on the rim)

Reactions: MDM

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Back in the day, the consensus was one size larger tube (+ 1/4") could be used, but not one size smaller... (the thought being it would be too thin upon inflation)..
Even at that, back then there was a 3.75" tire and TUBE that was the next size up.....
I would NOT recommend using a 110 tube in a 100 tire...There is a .89" difference in sizing, NOT the .25" we used as a limit....

Frankly, I would not run that ~4.00" tire on the front either ...(actual size of a 100/ tire is ~3.94" IF it's in a wide enough rim...)
A 90/90 is the correct replacement size for a 3.50" tire.... (actual size ~3.54", again dependent on the rim)
There seems to be a bit of a debate on which tire to use. I guess some say that the 90/90 would not have the right height, so you would want a 90/100 i suppose in order to get the 90 height. So a 90/90 would have too small an O.D. but he correct width, the 100/90 would have the correct O.D., but too wide a width, is that right? There seems to be a lot of people on the road that seem to do fine with the 100/90s for 3.50. I think I will be waiting for the right size tube, but Ill probably stick with my 100/90 tire (I have it already). Im not an aggressive rider, so hopefully Ill be fine

1 - 4 of 4 Posts