Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get my tach to work. Its a Motogadget Chrono classic that has a digital signal pickup. The needle reads 9k when I'm at idle and I'm confident wiring is correct. I contacted Motogadget support and they said the issue is from electrical interference (like having satelite TV near power lines) and it would be fixed if I used resistor style spark plugs or switched from 5k ohm to 10k ohm.

I'm running EI and high output Dyna coils from Charlie's Place. Charlie said the coils should have no problem with whatever caps I use, but I wanted a second opinion.

Thanks y'all

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I was running dyna resistor wire and resistor plugs awhile ago when I had issues with my dyna EI. They worked fine. I switched to solid wire in the troubleshooting process because it seemed more long term reliable to me. I degreed my plugs at the same time and THAT did seem to make a small noticeable difference mostly what seemed like crisper acceleration. Hondaman had an interesting post I linked in my mystery misfire thread about the dyna failure mode. Someday I'll make a new plate for my dyna to get a closer magnet spacing and see if it's really toast.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I put in some 5k resistor style plugs of the same heat range and made no noticeable difference. What do you mean by 'degreeing' your plugs?

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
By degreasing the plugs I mean take note of the open gap of the plug and make sure it is facing into the combustion chamber. When the spark occurs initially it won't have the plug wire blocking the flame front. I think they use washers sometimes but I was able to tighten them sufficiently to do the job. ( might be a little loose or tight-not the best idea, but close) resistor caps/ plugs/wires? Idk, how much resistance goes it take for that thing to work? Hmmm? Idk? I'd call em again and say wth!?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I would call them back and say: "what is my RMA number." I have a $6 Chinese tach running off my PAMCO with Dyna coils. I have solid copper wires, 5K plug caps and the stock resistor plugs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts