Honda Twins banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
13,004 Posts
Thanks guys. Sounds like the spacers will be ok. I can do some cleanup on the rims, just would like to avoid replacing the wheels if I can.
It really depends on what they look like once the tires are off. Hopefully you can clean up the rust under the rim strip and paint the center area to slow the process for the future

·
Registered
13,004 Posts
If you plan to put the bike back together as original, they will be covered - which is why Honda didn't chrome them all the way up to begin with. You could clean and paint them so they won't rust quickly again in the future and then reassemble, but if you plan to change the headlight mounting arrangement they'll be exposed and ugly... I painted the upper tubes hammer silver on my 450 build and they are exposed. Chrome was out of the question where I live, only one game in town and he is slow, cantankerous and really expensive.

·
Registered
13,004 Posts
Any tips for how to get the fork tube and bottom separated? I got the circlip out and the bottom bolt broken free but can’t get the forks apart.
First, do you have the FSM? If not, get one here. Is the bolt in the bottom of the fork a JIS screw, or an allen bolt? If it's a screw, put it back in and tighten it before you take the fork apart. I believe your forks come apart by removing the snap ring above the fork seal and then using the lower fork leg as a slide hammer, knocking the seal out of the lower

·
Registered
13,004 Posts
Yes, working against the spring can make the slide hammer method challenging, but if you had taken out the screw you might have found something more challenging when you put things back together - the screw holds a piece in the bottom of the lower fork that works with the damper tube inside the upper fork tube when assembled and it's hard to get back in proper position once removed. You can also look up exploded views of the parts at places like cmsnl.com or Partzilla.com

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have the FSM. The bolt on the bottom has a Phillips head, but won’t come all the way out. I’ll see if I can get it back right. I tried the slide hammer technique, but maybe just need to try harder!
I just did this...

Meaning I just loosened the JIS screw on the bottom because I though you needed to - but you don't. It has nothing to do with fork disassembly on the CL (external spring) fork.

To get it tightened back down, I cut a piece of heavy duct tape and placed it over the bottom end of the fork tube and punched a hole in the center. When you slide the tube back into the lower the tape will hold the conical piece firm enough to tighten the screw back down. It needs to be snug or it will leak. I tested mine by filling with water overnight, and it was fine.

To remove the conical piece completely, and replace the crush washer, a member here used a 12pt socket on a long extension held tight down on the conical piece for removal and installation.

Once the large snap ring is removed you can remove the tube. You are unseating the seal as you remove the tube - that's where the resistance comes from. There's nothing else holding the tube in the lower.

·
Premium Member
27,046 Posts
Yes, IF they are rough enough they could damage the fork seals.........
I can't feel them, but just by eyeball, I'd replace or renew the tubes.....

21 - 40 of 69 Posts