Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Insurance company is having a hard time trying to insure me. Says they can’t get the VIN into the system cause there are not enough numbers. I keep telling them it’s a ‘68 and predates current VIN numbering.

anyone have any insight? What are you doing for insurance?

·
Premium Member
3,025 Posts
the older CB/CL/SL 350's don't have VIN they have a Serial Number.
They are not the same thing.
You should talk to a company that specializes in Vintage Cars/Bike etc.

GOOGLE: American Collectors Ins.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Also, are you getting the serial number off of the engine block, or off of the frame? The serial numbers aren't always the same number between the engine and frame. You should be using the frame which will be located on the steering head.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Insurance company is having a hard time trying to insure me. Says they can’t get the VIN into the system cause there are not enough numbers. I keep telling them it’s a ‘68 and predates current VIN numbering.

take a picture of the frame number and engine number and show it to them

·
Registered
cd175, cm185, c200
6 Posts
I've purchased a 1960s C200 that had a short VIN before and ran into the same issue, but after calling the same place 3 times talking to different people, one of them just filled the extra space with X's or 0's, so say XXXXXXC200-120448

They've done the same thing when I had to create an ownership on another C200 that was never registered, but the system wouldn't let them proceed without filling in the standard number of digits. It took visiting a few times, again talking to different people, before finding a more experienced employee that had dealt with this before and knew to fill in the blanks with X/0

xoxo

·
Registered
CB77, 1966
78 Posts

A broker once explained to me that most insurance companies don't want to insure motorcycles, especially vintage ones. Generally they do it to get your house and car business. This may be what they are trying to tell you without admitting that they really aren't that much into you. ;)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have State Farm. They had no issue whatsoever about insuring my CL125. Of course, I already have several different policies with that agent, so that may have had something to do with it.

·
Registered
1968 CB350
2 Posts
I went to my insurance company Farmers for my 68 CB350. I gave them the numbers off the steering head and they sent it to Foremost. That’s who I had my boat insured with as well. No issues at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts