Honda Twins banner

Well that figures...

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  mike in idaho 
#1 ·
So I usually put the bike up on the center stand when parked and yesterday noticed that it was extremely difficult to lift the rear up.

Then I discovered this.

Pipe Bicycle part Bicycle handlebar Vehicle

Pipe Pickaxe

What do you all think? Fixable? Would a weld hold up?
I guess I could always source a used replacement but I rather not if this can be repaired.

See less See more
#9 ·
When I bought my 450 had the foot lever was off. I didn't have the original so I got a replacement from ebay.

#10 ·
Yeah I know I can get a replacement center stand on ebay easily enough. But given the failure, there's no guarantee that it won't happen again on the replacement stand as well since from what I can tell they are all welded the same.

I rather repair this one with additional reinforcement gusset to make it a lot stronger.

#12 ·
Glad you got it fixed. I've never seen a 350, 450 or 500T do that before... it may have had a history of the PO having the habit of rolling it backward and slamming the centerstand down to help them get it up onto the stand. I've seen plenty of people do that over the years, treating it like a Lambretta

#15 ·
To be honest, the ground-down part of that stand (not the crack) looks like a stand that's contacted the pavement on hard turns many times.
450's can be heeled over pretty far, and every one I've ever had showed that same center stand "damage".
Now admittedly I was an aggressive rider in my past.

#16 ·
That's entirely possible also that the stand has been weakened from repeated contact with the pavement. Although I can say I have only done that a handful of times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.