Airbag Jackets
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Airbag Jackets

Airbag Jackets

Alpinestars has jacket with a built in airbag system called Tech-Air, which has now been licensed by BMW as well.
    Tech-Air? Street Airbag System | Alpinestars
    Der StreetAir Anzug von BMW Motorrad. Mehr Schutz in Millisekunden.

This tech has already been use in MotoGP for a few years and will now be available for regular folks like us. I really like that this does not require any installation on the bike itself. I think this is a huge leap in rider safety. It will probably be a little expensive in the beginning - would like to see these go on sale in the US soon.

Very cool, but need to be bigger. Sort of like the ones in the movie Tomorrowland. You end up encased in a big giant ball. Maybe some day.

On a serious note, anything that can help keep us safe I'm all for. I'm one of those people who would never even think of riding my motorcycle without a full face helmet, leather jacket, gloves and boots.
    Last edited by JAYinNY; 09-30-2016 at 08:43 AM.
    bilbikek411 likes this.
    1968 Honda CB450 K1
    1971 Honda CB350 K3
    1969 Honda CB450 K2
    1966 Honda CB450 K0
    1966 Honda CL77

shelf life is my main concern.

I tend to get gear and keep it for a long time and have some gear I only use every couple of years.

this seems like it would become unreliable over time
    CB350 K5 - Uber Café- Engine build 3
    CL350 K4 - Cafe build done waiting on final assembly
    CB350 K0 - Full restoration w/Hondaline bags & fairing
    SL350 K2 - Bubba Shobert flat track build on deck
    CB-1 400F - unrestored mint rider
    2012 Guzzi V7 Racer - Daily Ride

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Jay,
    That one you uploaded made me envision something similar to 'The Michelin Man' only in orange and gives new meaning to the phrase 'I'm on a roll now'.
    Last edited by bilbikek411; 10-04-2016 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by outobie View Post
    shelf life is my main concern.

I tend to get gear and keep it for a long time and have some gear I only use every couple of years.

this seems like it would become unreliable over time
    I agree. I think it will take time for them to work out the kinks and make this a solid reliable offering. Currently they claim the battery lasts a day, and takes about 6 hours to fully charge. You also need to "service" your jacket every two years - they probably update the software and do an inspection of all the components.

There are some at our local Ducati dealership. They sure look nice, but not $2500 + nice.

Amazon has several air bag jackets for about $500.
    1996 Honda VT1100C2 ACE Shadow 1982 Honda GL500 SilverWing Interstate

Drive a car
    HamHock likes this.

My life jacket that inflates when I fall out of the boat was less than $100.00. A jacket for a bike crash would have to be a lot stronger but $2500?? Why not a lanyard to inflate the jacket when you come off the bike. Look at all the fun we could have when people get off the bike and forget to unhook the lanyard.

Bill
    ancientdad and oupa like this.

These things have had a presence in racing for several years now. Even becoming, well... not "common" but less than rare in flat track racing. To that end, I just listened to an interview with rider Shayna Texter last week where she mentioned her air suit deploying accidentally costing her a race. Granted, an accidental discharge of your air suit is considerably preferable to hitting just about anything without one, but we have to pay for our own to. Since they obviously DO go off unexpectedly occasionally, I'm now curious as to what's involved in re-use. CAN it even be reused? I dunno.

Regarding cost. Unless you're comfortable with a level of inflation that would look like the Michelin Man, these things need to fit fairly close. That means tailored to YOU. That means a lot of us would be looking something like Elvis in his last jumpsuit.
    Airbag Jackets-fat-boy-sitting-down.jpg

There are trade offs in everything I guess. I have a full set of (non-inflating!) racing leathers. They have a purpose. They are hot and confining. There is a reason why you see guys unzip their leathers as soon as they get back in the pits! I would hate to wear them for every motorcycle ride. We are seeing technological advances everyday that a year ago would have been sci-fi though. These things will evolve to. While we wait I think I'll practice my singing.
    Um ah hunk-a-hunk-a burn'n love....
    "They're not like cars with a body that rusts out in a few years. Keep them tuned and overhauled and they'll last as long as you do. Probably longer." - Robert Pirsig

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links