All Over but the Crying! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: All Over but the Crying!

Shane, that's awesome - I've been wondering how the project was coming! Hope you have good luck on the track, we know you're gonna have a whole lotta fun!
    Butch
    72 SL350 Basket Case

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

My first WERRA race I never lost a place....
    Started and finished dead last...(I think the actual winner lapped me three times)....
    BUT, I beat all the guys that broke.......LMAO!

Great fun!!!

Come to think of it, the "deadman" was on the drag bikes......
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 06-27-2019 at 08:21 PM.
    krukster86 likes this.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

Thanks everybody! I passed tech inspection on Friday morning, took the AHRMA licensing course all day Friday. The bike wasn't running right and I kept limping around the track and wrenching in between practice sessions chasing down an issue that was causing the bike to stop accelerating around 40mph (no speedometer, this is a guess). We chased it through the carburetors, fuel filters, pods, blah, blah, blah. Re-jetted the carbs on Saturday morning and it felt good...until the warm up lap for my first race. It pulled the same nonsense and I left the track really discouraged. We finally found the issue in a faulty petcock not flowing enough fuel. That was replaced with hardware store valves and brass fittings. Sunday I was in fine form for my race! The bike was running flawlessly, felt fast and I was having a blast. I was in 3rd place (out of 4 ha!) when I low sided it in a sharp turn! I'm ok, the bike is ok. My Vanson leathers look way more "authentic" now. I can't wait to try again!!
    ancientdad likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Glad you are ok. Takes guts to take it out on the race course !
    Best,
    ShaneP likes this.

^^^agree completely - I've never been as comfortable with hard cornering enough to want to get out on a race track - I'm better at chasing my riding buddies when we go out on some of the rural twisties in my area, it gives me a better feel for whether or not I can go as fast in a given corner as they do - so I admire anyone with enough fortitude to put on the gear and get out on a track in competition. I'd love to take a few hot laps at a track like Barber, for example, but it would be at my own pace and certainly would result in me getting lapped by most everyone, I'm sure... straight line go-fast is more my style, I'll take the drag strip any day. You should get someone to take some pictures or video of you out on the track next time and post it here, we'd all love to see
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    You should get someone to take some pictures or video of you out on the track next time and post it here, we'd all love to see
    What do you know? I found some!

All Over but the Crying!-dsc_0223.jpg

All Over but the Crying!-img_1231.jpg
    83XLX and Pops like this.

Nice! Bet you can't wait to get out there again.
    ShaneP likes this.
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

great thread! Of course Steve knows his stuff, reason why we call him sensei!

Can you offer more anecdotes on your track experience? Keep up the good work.
    ShaneP likes this.

I'll offer all the anecdotes you want to hear lol. I really don't have enough track time under my belt to be of any use to anyone...I've done a handful of laps at speed and fallen off the bike! It's definitely addictive though. If you're curious about it, look for a track day at a track near you. We have them here every couple months. It costs $150 for the day, you'll need leathers, boots, gloves, and a quality helmet. You can probably prepare a stock CB350 for a track day in a weekend. Safety wiring is really annoying, but that's the most time consuming part.

If you decide you like it, check into the AHRMA Fast and Safe School. They offer it at most of their races, you take the class Friday and race the weekend. It was a really great jump start to get me comfortable with the concept of being on the track. You get like a 30 minute pep talk in the morning and then you're on the track. You come back, the instructor tells you that you suck at being on the track, why you suck at being on the track, and how you can suck less, then you go back out again. Repeat until you only suck a little bit, pass a one on one exam about flags, and go race!
    Pops likes this.

Before wife and kids I volunteered at Summit Point (WV) as an SCCA Flag and Communication worker. Worked both car and bike races. Great fun, I got to see a lot of great racing for free and met a lot of cool folks. Oh, and the beer party in the pits Saturday night...
    I got a few offers to take a Showroom Stocker or E Production Sprite out on the track, but flagging was as close as I ever got.
    Sounds like you and the Sea Beast are having a lot of fun!
    ShaneP likes this.
    Butch
    72 SL350 Basket Case

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links