'65 305 dream with strange surge.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: '65 305 dream with strange surge....

Wow, don't know how I missed your post for four whole days ! Duh ! Thanks for the input. My cousin's strobe is broke, and my mechanic friend's strobe is broke, so it looks like I'll be getting one to check that aspect.
    Have a brand new issue though. Serious gas leak developed around the petcock. Drained it out the crossover tube/ nipple. Haven't had time to see if it's the petcock or a seam. So now I'm looking at tank sealers if that turns out to be the case. Opinions vary, but RENU, and Por15 seem to get the most recs. I think I used Kream once, and it only worked for a short while.

Took the tank off today. Turns out the top seal between petcock and tank got mangled on last reassembly. I noticed it had a slightly larger overall diameter due to swelling, but I thought I had it packed in there. Not. Thinking about trying the cork seat in the bottom. Buying a O-ring at the hardware store for the top seal. I keep hoping to get a little riding in before winter sets in.
    Addendum :
    Another thing, couldn't get the tank off w/out taking the petcock off first due to the hose barb hitting the tank bracket. While that's ok for getting the tank off, I'd like to have the petcock on correctly before putting the tank on. Just easier to see what I'm doing with the tank sitting in my lap. So I have three options. Cut a quarter inch off the hose barb. Cut a notch in the tank bracket. Or put the petcock on a third of a turn (probably) clockwise. That would put the valve in a less than ideal position, tho. Gonna have to kick it around a bit.
    Last edited by OldTwinsRock; 10-19-2019 at 11:51 AM.

Well, turning the petcock isn't an option. I guess cutting a quarter inch off that hose barb is the best option IF I want to put it on before the tank is on the bike. Or maybe bend one edge of the bracket down a bit instead of notching it. I've noticed the rubber seals have shrunk back to normal size given a few days to dry out (alcohol effect ?). Could've saved myself this current headache if I'd known that. I trimmed the bowl gasket when it was swollen. Now it doesn't fit right. Going to try to get it back together without buying a whole nuther kit. Also going to start buying "off road" alcohol free gas for my bikes and saws. It's a ten mi. trip, but I think it's worth it.
    Now, with the tank off I'm wondering if I should seal it as a preventative measure ? The rust isn't bad, but there are a few spots in there. I worry about those bottom seams more than anything.
    After doing some reading, think I'll go with the Caswell epoxy. Get that rust cleaned out, and coat it.
    Rust never sleeps, but it is treatable.
    Last edited by OldTwinsRock; 10-20-2019 at 02:05 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

I'm not a fan of any kind of tank sealer.
    I took mine to a radiator shop and they completely de-rusted it for $30.
    If you keep good gas in it, it does not need to be coated to keep from re-rusting.
    They can also test for leaks and repair if necessary.
    78 CB550K, 78 CB750K, 66 CA77, 74 T500

Wonder what the shop used ? I've read about vinegar, CLR, phosphoric acid....plus screws jiggled around in the mix. I'm a fan of epoxy for all sorts of things.

It is often said we learn from our mistakes. Sometimes I wonder about me. I'll second guess myself till the cows come home. Till the chickens come to roost. Till the....well you know what I mean. So. I cleaned that tank. Screws, three and a half gallons of cider vinegar. Baking soda solution to neutralize the acid. Methanol rinses to get the water out. Acetone as a final cleaner. So far so good. Then it came time to mix up the epoxy. The website said they typically coat two tanks with one moto size kit. So I mixed up half the kit. Big mistake. Poured it in. Sealed it up. Turned it for ten minutes. Opened it up. Looked in. The hump had spotty coverage. I made up a "swab" real quick with a coat hanger, a piece of tightly taped on piece of sock, and swabbed the glue around . Ok, so I got by. Two days later I decide to mix up the rest and put a second coat on. No problem, right ? Should go further. Did the turning, opened it up, turned it upside down to let the excess drain out the filler, and had a hell of a mess. Moral of the story. Follow the directions. Don't mess around. Use the whole kit. It's a one time shot. I got by. Just. Use gloves. Have a roll of paper towels on hand. I'm glad to have it derusted, and coated. I puttied the petcock nuts, and made sure to open the crossover barbs. Should outlast me. Maybe someone contemplating this can learn from my mistake. Best,

Well I did put the petcock together with the tank in my lap. Used the cork seat. Used round o-ring on top and for the bowl. Low and behold the tank went back on without having to modify anything. I think it had to do with getting the petcock screwed on properly. The time before, when the tank was on the bike, and the o-ring was outside the groove, it was a smidge lower and the barb was hanging up on the bracket. Anyway, the bike she is running, and I rode her to town. About 6 mi. Never got out of second gear. Gonna have to rebuild those rear shocks I guess. Also could use some highway pegs. Wow. I really don't fit this bike.

Rode her across town to feed the bird this AM. Ran fine on the way over. Coming back, started dropping (the left) a cylinder. I'm going to drop the slide needle another notch. Sand blasted all those spark plugs I fouled running her much too rich. We'll see what happens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links