HondaTwins Forums

Price too high?

Thread: Price too high?

Tags: None

LGR said:
    I did notice in my original post I stared 350. It’s a 305.
    Sorry

ancientdad said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    Over the years I have seen the candied orange color scheme that the owners claim is OEM. I don’t doubt that it’s true, just as the description says, “ rare” in color. Is it true as your post says, it’s a CL77 “350”, or was that a typo?
    For 6K it’s priced right under “concourse” and above “excellent” condition. Have you seen this bike in person?
    Take a look at “smartcycleguide.com” and see just how wildly the asking prices can range.
    I did a little more digging into smartcycleguide.com and found these

this one seemed to confuse it with the Fisher-Price children's Smart Cycle a bit

https://www.scamadviser.com/check-we...cycleguide.com

this one was more in-depth

https://www.easycounter.com/report/smartcycleguide.com

either way, I don't think I'll be listing my V65 there after all, probably get as many scammers or more than CL or even Cycle Trader
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

britman said:
    The scams on CL have gotten totally ridiculous. I swore up and down I was done flipping old bikes after selling my last project on Craigs. Damned if a XS650 Yamaha doesn't show up this morning, dirt cheap and around the corner from me in my subdivision, let the games begin....

In reference to the CL in this post, a bike is worth what you are willing to pay for it. I have done a partial total on the receipts on my CL restoration and amount was up there. Parts are not cheap and hard to find, and some guys even try to collect on their labor, mine has always been free. I just truly enjoy the process of bringing one back to life. Nothing like the sound, smell, and feeling of accomplishment when you kick one over and fires after being neglected for years.......

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

David Babbitt said:
    Price too high?-david-honda-heading-black-lake-fall-1973.jpg
    Everyone else is talking about their 305 scrambler so I'll insert my photo from 45 years back when I was traveling from Orangevale, CA, to Olympia, WA. Camping all the way and I believe I was carrying a 2 gallon plastic gas can behind me though I don't see it in the photo. I learned not to place my sleeping back ahead of the engine on the front fender on a later trip as it caused the engine to seize up with inadequate air flow around it. On that second or third trip it was straight up I-5, 700 miles in a day.

Tank and air cleaner covers were painted purple by previous owner.

Mr. Mike said:
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    I did a little more digging into smartcycleguide.com and found these

this one seemed to confuse it with the Fisher-Price children's Smart Cycle a bit

https://www.scamadviser.com/check-we...cycleguide.com

this one was more in-depth

https://www.easycounter.com/report/smartcycleguide.com

either way, I don't think I'll be listing my V65 there after all, probably get as many scammers or more than CL or even Cycle Trader
    Wow!
    Horrible horrible site review. Please forget I even mentioned it! Write it off as a newbie mistake, or uhhhh...another threetard who’s completely out in left field offering bad information to the public. “Oh king- banish him from the site!” Haha ha! Well, prices are still high for a decent CL and the market kind of proves it, but doesn’t mean they actually sold for the asking price.

ancientdad said:
    Wow!
    Horrible horrible site review. Please forget I even mentioned it! Write it off as a newbie mistake, or uhhhh...another threetard who’s completely out in left field offering bad information to the public. “Oh king- banish him from the site!” Haha ha! Well, prices are still high for a decent CL and the market kind of proves it, but doesn’t mean they actually sold for the asking price.
    No worries, I didn't take your pointing it out as an endorsement. We stumble on these things all the time on the internet now and I'm always skeptical - and even the "reviews" we can find on sites or products can also be sketchy. It's always good to be on watch for someplace new to find or sell a bike, just a lot more difficult to take something at face value anymore... look at how the last 10 years has changed Craigslist, and even Cycle Trader now... BS "ads" and "buyers" all looking to scam someone.
    Tom

mike in idaho said:
    Quote Originally Posted by David Babbitt View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	David on Honda heading to Black Lake Fall 1973.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	447.8 KB 
ID:	284016
    Everyone else is talking about their 305 scrambler so I'll insert my photo from 45 years back when I was traveling from Orangevale, CA, to Olympia, WA. Camping all the way and I believe I was carrying a 2 gallon plastic gas can behind me though I don't see it in the photo. I learned not to place my sleeping back ahead of the engine on the front fender on a later trip as it caused the engine to seize up with inadequate air flow around it. On that second or third trip it was straight up I-5, 700 miles in a day.

Tank and air cleaner covers were painted purple by previous owner.
    David, you were a lot tougher than I was. Best I could manage in those days was 300 miles a day, that seat got really hard by afternoon. Mine was purple too, I repainted it after a failed attempt to teach my sister to ride ended up up in a dented gas tank.
    '65 YG1
    '65 CB160
    '66 CL160
    '67 CL77
    '68 TR6
    '69 T100R
    '69 T120R
    '72 Commando 750
    '78 XS650E
    '79 Gl1000
    '81 440 LTD
    My company car is a Kenworth

ancientdad said:
    Quote Originally Posted by mike in idaho View Post
    David, you were a lot tougher than I was. Best I could manage in those days was 300 miles a day, that seat got really hard by afternoon.
    Couldn't agree more - longest road trip I ever did in one day was from Tampa to Atlanta, about 450 miles... and I was ready to stop
    Tom

Mr. Mike said:
    Tom,
    I see you’re from the gulf side of Florida. Our youngest son and his family moved (sadly) to Lutz this past February. We’ve been there twice since his move, most recently two weeks ago.
    I noticed two things about bike riding, 1), no helmet law it seems, and 2), apparently no lane splitting at all, at no time. One fella I spoke to at Fred Gannon State Park said he rides evenings and early mornings when it gets too dang hot, and I don’t doubt it. Currently here at home it’s bumping up to the mid 90’s and in a FF helmet...well, it’s a tad warm inside.
    1966 CL77
    1978 CB750K
    2002 Electraglide

ancientdad said:
    Tom,
    I see you’re from the gulf side of Florida. Our youngest son and his family moved (sadly) to Lutz this past February. We’ve been there twice since his move, most recently two weeks ago.
    I noticed two things about bike riding, 1), no helmet law it seems, and 2), apparently no lane splitting at all, at no time. One fella I spoke to at Fred Gannon State Park said he rides evenings and early mornings when it gets too dang hot, and I don’t doubt it. Currently here at home it’s bumping up to the mid 90’s and in a FF helmet...well, it’s a tad warm inside.
    Well, sorry to hear your youngest chose to live almost as far away from family as is possible in the 48 states... however, Lutz is a decent place to live (I grew up there after my parents moved us from MI in 1961 - imagine Lutz then) and it's north of the much busier Tampa so it's a little more relaxed, but not nearly as relaxed as where I am - and that's the reason I'm there, 50 miles further north. Yes, over 21 years of age with proper motorcycle endorsement is allowed the choice on helmet use (not that it changes me wearing one, always) but not so much on the no-lane-splitting... punks on disco bikes do it often, though it isn't legal, but then slicing up traffic at 30 mph over the speed limit isn't either but it happens all the time as well. You were fortunate to not see it while you were here. Pretty much not a month goes by without hearing about a deadly bike crash on the Courtney Campbell Causeway connecting Tampa to Clearwater, young and delusional sport bike riders (aka disco bikes, since they all look and sound the same) love to race for top speed across it late at night and we read about them fairly regularly. And yes, from June to late September here it's ride in sweat no matter how much or little gear you wear - that is, in between the fairly regular afternoon (and sometimes morning) rains which are now underway... oh, and the love bugs (that goo up your car and bike and are miserable to wash off, and will ruin paint if you don't) come late in the spring for 3 to 5 weeks, then go away during the heat of summer, then come back again in late summer when the heat drops a little for another 3 to 5 weeks depending... fall, our mini-winters and mini-spring seasons are the best times to ride here. If he rides, we have a fun place up my way where we gather on Sunday mornings, out where there are lots of open, far less trafficked backroads with great riding and a fair amount of twisties

apologies to the OP - highjack ended
    Tom