CB72 v CB350K0 Rear Rims compatability

CB72 v CB350K0 Rear Rims compatability

I recently acquired a stash of CB72 parts (i.e. Parts from 1964->65 model with steel fork bottoms). So many parts in fact that I almost have enough to build myself a complete bike, long term. I got a decent front wheel but no rear wheel only the brake plate and brake arms but a local guy is selling me a correct CB72 rear hub. I have a few rear DID rims spare from my other CB250K0/350K1 projects, which are also drum brake & the rims are 18" 36 hole x 1.85, the same size as the CB72/77 Superhawk.

My question is, if I get one of my decent CB350K rear rims rechromed (cost around £100 in the UK to get rechromed) then will this fit the CB72 hub OK in terms of the hole drilling, spoke angles etc. I want the bike to have original, diamond logo DID rims not the modern type Dave Silver sells with the horrid side scripting, which, IMHO look ghastly. He is quoting the same part number for modern rear DID rims for both the CB72/77 and CB350K models. However, checking both Honda parts books the CB72 had a ---268--- part No and the CB250/350K0 had a ---286--- part number. I don't want to have to file out or redrill holes after chrome plating. Another option is to use a perfect NOS but old-style Takasago 1.85 36 hole rim that I have spare.

Quote Originally Posted by ashimotok0 View Post
    I recently acquired a stash of CB72 parts (i.e. Parts from 1964->65 model with steel fork bottoms). So many parts in fact that I almost have enough to build myself a complete bike, long term. I got a decent front wheel but no rear wheel only the brake plate and brake arms but a local guy is selling me a correct CB72 rear hub. I have a few rear DID rims spare from my other CB250K0/350K1 projects, which are also drum brake & the rims are 18" 36 hole x 1.85, the same size as the CB72/77 Superhawk.

My question is, if I get one of my decent CB350K rear rims rechromed (cost around £100 in the UK to get rechromed) then will this fit the CB72 hub OK in terms of the hole drilling, spoke angles etc. I want the bike to have original, diamond logo DID rims not the modern type Dave Silver sells with the horrid side scripting, which, IMHO look ghastly. He is quoting the same part number for modern rear DID rims for both the CB72/77 and CB350K models. However, checking both Honda parts books the CB72 had a ---268--- part No and the CB250/350K0 had a ---286--- part number. I don't want to have to file out or redrill holes after chrome plating. Another option is to use a perfect NOS but old-style Takasago 1.85 36 hole rim that I have spare.
    I can't answer your question, but I can tell you that if you have a CL77 front fender (in pretty much any condition) you could sell it in a heartbeat - there's at least one person here looking, and he even asked me about finding one at my local scrapyard after I posted pictures of it - his name is barnbiketom.
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

I believe you would be perfectly fine fitting the 350 rim...if membory serves, the CL72 rear brake is just a tad larger but not enough to cause spoke angle issues.

if you want to sure, test lace it before you have it rechromed.
    CB350 K5 - Uber Café- Engine build 3
    CL350 K4 - Cafe build done waiting on final assembly
    CB350 K0 - Full restoration w/Hondaline bags & fairing
    SL350 K2 - Bubba Shobert flat track build on deck
    CB-1 400F - unrestored mint rider
    2012 Guzzi V7 Racer - Daily Ride

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

I thought the cb77/72 rims were shouldered steel. It wouldn't be correct for the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I thought the cb77/72 rims were shouldered steel. It wouldn't be correct for the bike.
    I will compare a front rim from CB72 with that on a CB350 tomorrow.

Thanks for relies ... Ash

Shouldered rims are CL72/77 parts(19 inch).
    '65 YG1
    '65 CB160
    '66 CL160
    '67 CL77
    '68 TR6
    '69 T100R
    '69 T120R
    '72 Commando 750
    '78 XS650E
    '79 Gl1000
    '81 440 LTD
    My company car is a Kenworth