Honda Twins banner

CA77 seized steering stem nut

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  the-chauffeur 
#1 ·
How do

I've got the front end off the CA, only to find that the 29mm steering stem nut is frozen solid. I've covered it in penetrating fluid, but it's not doing a great deal. If it's any help, I'm talking about this one:
Auto part Nut Pipe Household hardware Metal
Before I go do something stupid - getting all caveman-with-a-pipe-wrench-and-white-knuckles - on its ass, is there a trick to/correct tool for removing this thing? I've tried a couple of adjustable wrenches and neither they, nor I, are strong enough. Normally I'd use sockets for this sort of thing, but I've not come across a square nut like this before - and I get the feeling I'm gonna need something I can put an extension pipe or similar onto for leverage.

I'd thought about heat, but given the pressed steel nature of the frame, I don't really want to put flame anywhere near it if I can avoid it. So again, is there anything particular I need to know before . . . well, you know?

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Heat gun and ice.....Several heating/shock cooling sessions may break any corrosion grip.......

You can scissor against the next nut down if you have the correct hook spanner......

#3 ·
I have an old school monkey wrench from the 1800s that I keep around for square nuts like this. I had to use it on my CA77 for the same thing, but it doesn't sound like mine was as stuck as yours. Heat, ice, more penetrant and patience should get it done.

#4 ·
Thanks fellas

Gave it another try earlier with someone holding the frame, but it's not having any of it. I'm still pouring PB Blaster into it and I've got a couple of sets of monkey wrenches on the way, so we'll see how that goes . . .

#5 ·
. . . and we're done.

As is so often the case, close application of heat from a blowtorch broke the hold. Now I gotta find where I can get steering bearings from. The cups are shot.

#8 ·
Probably can't do that Tom, as the pressed-metal fork "sheaths" bolt on at a specific length of stem used......
Taper bearings tend to alter the overall "stack" heights slightly, and while he could maybe shim to height if under, ANY overage would likely be unacceptable.....

#10 ·
One of the things I've never worked out is how to size/locate new bearing cups and caps - I've always ended up buying kits or NOS/OEM bits, but I can't help thinking there's a better way . . . frankly, I'd like to try the tapered option, but don't know where to start when it comes to sizing. And I can't quite believe the steering stem/headstock sizings were unique to the C/CA range; given the way Honda employ(ed) economies of scale, I'd've thought they'd've used the same geometry/sizing on other models.

Anyways, I ended up ordering the bits from Silvers - they won't tell you this, but they source stuff from CMS (they can't get everything CMS stock, but they've got access to 90-95% of stuff that's more than 10 years old). Since I'm in the UK, I go through Silvers because it keeps the cost of shipping down. Not sure whether the same would apply to the US, although since Silvers now have a warehouse 'stateside, I'd've thought there would be some way they could make it work.

Regardless, it wasn't cheap. I got a kit for the CL for something like £60, whereas the four bits for the CA came to £70+. Fortunately, I've got a stash of 1/4in ball-bearings and I can recycle the other CA bits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.