No longer a cheapskate
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By britman

Thread: No longer a cheapskate

No longer a cheapskate

Since I have got my 67 CL up and running, I have been dealing with a non firing cylinder intermittently, which by the way has moved from the left to the right. Fat conditions off and on the plugs and a sense of not trusting the bike to get me back and forth to the soft ice cream stand in town.

I am starting over, the carbs are off again and on the workbench. (The 135 mains and 42 pilots were just too rich.) I know that a decent baseline jet combination in my future, I will find it. The most important and what hurt the most, an electronic ignition system is on the way from "Charlie's Place". I even broke down and bought the overpriced regulator and have already installed hotter coils from 4 into 1.

Nothing stands in the way of a man and his soft serve ice cream..........

Try 38 slow jets and 125 mains..... (maybe 130s considering modern fuel).... slide needle/center notch....

IIRC,...Factory used 120 mains but that was for leaded fuel......Mike might be a better reference on this.....
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 09-02-2019 at 11:15 AM.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

Does any of this sound familiar? I'm still not sure why it was doing that and I'm not entirely convinced it's fixed . . . Just thought I'd ask.
    CL77 (1966)
    CA77 (1966)
    SL350 K0 (1969)

SL350 K2 (1971)
    CB450 K6 (1972)
    CB750 K2 (1972)

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Charlie's EI system installed and timing set, not a complicated job at all. The bike fires better than ever, went with 130 mains and 38 pilots. Still haven't had a chance to road test. For some reason the right carb is puking around the bowl. I have changed gaskets, and even installed an extra carb, same problem. I am heading out of town for the weekend so I will figure it out when I return. Even with that the condition the bike runs better than it ever has. I truly believe my intermittent dead cylinder was either the condenser or points. I will finish this bike one day, I really will........
    ancientdad likes this.

Got my bike back

Carb issue was solved by doubling up the bowl gaskets. Tight fit getting the bail back up, but sealed up tight. Took the bike out for a good 15 mile dial in for the carbs and EI system. Only adjustment was to the idle screws, bike ran perfect and starts on the first kick every time. Damn, I think I am really finished. Time to really get serious about finding a winter project......

Quote Originally Posted by britman View Post
    Carb issue was solved by doubling up the bowl gaskets. Tight fit getting the bail back up, but sealed up tight. Took the bike out for a good 15 mile dial in for the carbs and EI system. Only adjustment was to the idle screws, bike ran perfect and starts on the first kick every time. Damn, I think I am really finished. Time to really get serious about finding a winter project......
    I love a happy ending. Trying to run a 40 yo ignition will always be a challenge. Enjoy the ice cream.
    Jim Palmer
    '85 GL1200I (Garage Find)
    '81 GL1100 STD (Project)
    CB450 K5 Done
    https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-...s-cb450k5.html
    What I learned from Restoring a CB450 K5
    Watch Mike and Jim Take on Mt Erie Washington State
    "If everything seems under control you are not going fast enough" Mario Andretti...

Quote Originally Posted by JamesPal View Post
    I love a happy ending. Trying to run a 40 yo ignition will always be a challenge. Enjoy the ice cream.
    Thank you Sir, large mixed cone of chocolate and vanilla is the weapon of choice.........

Sponsored Links