CB77 Petock Problem - Can't Just Fix One Thing?!

CB77 Petock Problem - Can't Just Fix One Thing?!

Hey Folks!

The other day my fuel valve lever snapped! D'oh!!! https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JX9...ew?usp=sharing

I was able to find an exact lever replacement from an ebay seller. I opened everything up to replace the lever, and replaced the lever, but now, the cover and two screws doesn't seem to put enough pressure on the lever to keep it flush against the crush gasket and rubber gasket, meaning I get gas weeping out from the bottom.

That wavy metal washer, does it need to be positioned in exactly a certain way?

I am thinking that my old petcock on/off/res lever face, crush washer and rubber seal were worn against each other in exactly the right way to maintain a seal, but the rubber has probably compressed over time and a new lever face doesn't match it quite right. I probably need to replace all the seals. RATS.

Am I possible missing something? Any advice?

The wavy washer goes under the cover plate and against the outer face of the lever. That rubber seal,with the four holes, is a common part for many Hondas of that era and is readily available for not much money. You can sometimes turn it over so the other side is out and get it to seal again.
    '65 YG1
    '65 CB160
    '66 CL160
    '67 CL77
    '68 TR6
    '69 T100R
    '69 T120R
    '72 Commando 750
    '78 XS650E
    '79 Gl1000
    '81 440 LTD
    My company car is a Kenworth

Hey I had another look and it seems like the rubber gasket has either expanded or the wavy crush gasket has expanded. I can’t get enough pressure from the two screws on the face plate to get a seal on the top and bottom. Same if I put the old lever back on.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Where is it leaking, around the lever or out the bottom of the filter bowl?
    '65 YG1
    '65 CB160
    '66 CL160
    '67 CL77
    '68 TR6
    '69 T100R
    '69 T120R
    '72 Commando 750
    '78 XS650E
    '79 Gl1000
    '81 440 LTD
    My company car is a Kenworth

From the lever. Where I can tell it’s not fully sealing.

So I think I figured it out. I haven't 'fixed' it yet, but I just got the petcock rebuild kit in the mail and the replacement 4-hole rubber gasket is supper and flexible. I remember the one that had been sitting in my fuel lever for years was solid and firm when I removed it and tried to put it back. The old one's become sold and doesn't flex anymore, so that's surely why the 2 screws and cover plate weren't enough to push the lever against it and seal it from fuel. I'll probably have much better luck with the new rubber gasket.

Reminds me of taking apart carbs, where you avoid removing o-rings at all costs because they immediately expand and becomes impossible to put back and use again.

some things you just can't re-use.

I was wrong!

So I used the replacement 4-hole rubber gasket and it made zero difference. It still leaks from the fuel lever cover plate, because it's not pushing hard enough against the wavy washer and 4-hole rubber gasket. Because the cover plate fixes with just two screws I then wondered if my cover plate was slightly bent in the middle so I flipped it and tried again. The cover plate now seems more flush, but it still leaks!

See these photos:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kY...nQu9dUZLspo0LT
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aj...-0jjV0Qrll-dSp
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xY...oZFMcbTRr8W4C-

I am STUMPED

Sponsored Links