Scared to rev it
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Scared to rev it

Scared to rev it

Hello,

So I just got new tires put on my nighthawk and put it back together finally, took it for a short ride last night and she feels and runs great. But ever since I did the manual cam chain adjustment, I'm scared if I rev it too hard that the cam chain is either going to snap or jump teeth. I'm confident I adjusted it properly, there was no looseness on the front of the chain, and I could only lift it like 1 mm off the back side, which from what I gather is normal since the tension is on the front side.

I dunno, its a weird psych thing that I'm scared if I get on the throttle too much I'll hear the horrifying sound of the cam chain going and my pistons slamming my valves into the head. I guess I could just use some thoughts/reassurance on the matter.
    1984 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk

If you adjusted the cam-chain correctly, the engine should have no complaints with higher revs......
    80% of redline is about where the top of the power peak is......6500 to 8500 RPM is the engines "happy place".....

Now, IF you have fresh cylinder hone and new rings, most recommend a max of about 65% of redline until its broken in......
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 10-11-2019 at 07:15 PM.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

only one way to find out
    Bill H likes this.
    '76 CB500T Frankenbike
    '73 CL450 (basket case for now)

Carpe narem.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Just going to have to grit my teeth and go for it I guess.

I'm just happy its all put back together, I haven't got to ride for 3 weeks on account of my tires splitting along the sidewall and tuition draining my bank account. Hoping it doesn't snow until late December so I can ride for another month or two.

I did notice the engine makes a "tappy" sound now, but I think thats normal when the valves are properly adjusted. When I adjusted the valves the intake ones were so tight I could barely fit a .001 feeler through the gap, and they're supposed to be .004.

re post a video with audio..........engine should be "quiet" when in good order.

I would be more concerned with old, tired valve springs than the cam chain when revving a 35 year old bike up in the higher ranges.
    '65 YG1
    '65 CB160
    '66 CL160
    '67 CL77
    '68 TR6
    '69 T100R
    '69 T120R
    '72 Commando 750
    '78 XS650E
    '79 Gl1000
    '81 440 LTD
    My company car is a Kenworth

As my grandfather used to say..If it ain't broke, you just ain't trying hard enough son..

Better perhaps go and try it flat out somewhere close to home first, see what. happens. If it survives that and doesn't make funny noises afterwards, you'll be grand.
    JamesPal likes this.
    CB450 K5

Super Moderator longdistancerider's Avatar
    The cam chain would have to be extremely loose for any possibility of it jumping timing. As for breaking? given the design of the chain I'll say close to impossible.
    BlargKing likes this.
    Jim O'Brien
    1979 CM400T "road bike" modified for travelling
    1978 CB400T1 restored
    1972 CL350 nuts and bolts restore in progress

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22...d-attempt.html and https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-...r-attempt.html
    Road Trip https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/11...here-i-go.html or "where's Jim now?"
    Member Map https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/dcMembermap.php

Thats reassuring then. Really I wouldn't expect it to be close to breaking, the chains on cars usually last longer than the rest of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by -alan- View Post
    As my grandfather used to say..If it ain't broke, you just ain't trying hard enough son..

Better perhaps go and try it flat out somewhere close to home first, see what. happens. If it survives that and doesn't make funny noises afterwards, you'll be grand.
    Or Mario Andretti: "if everything is under control you are not going fast enough."
    Jim Palmer
    '85 GL1200I (Garage Find)
    '81 GL1100 STD (Project)
    CB450 K5 Done
    https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-...s-cb450k5.html
    What I learned from Restoring a CB450 K5
    Watch Mike and Jim Take on Mt Erie Washington State
    "If everything seems under control you are not going fast enough" Mario Andretti...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links