Mufflers - 1982 CM450

Mufflers - 1982 CM450

Anyone find aftermarket mufflers for their CM450 that look like OEM/stock, and aren't much louder?

I know this is the opposite of what most people are doing to their CM450s... switching up muffler styles and going with something louder.

I laid the bike down in an accident and scraped up/bent the tail pipe of the right muffler. I can live with it, or I can replace 'em.
    Problem is - finding an original muffler in good shape is going to be tough.
    If I buy a new set of mufflers (tail pipe pieces) - I don't want my bike to get any louder, and I prefer the look of the original pipes. Also prefer not to have to re-jet... but will climb that mountain when I get there I suppose. None of the aftermarket options I looked at have a side stand bumper on the left pipe - so that's also an issue.
    1980 Honda CM400A Hondamatic
    1982 Honda CM450A Hondamatic

Since no-one has replied to this thread - I might as well have a conversation with myself
    I researched OEM-style slip-on mufflers compatible with the CM400/CM450 motorcycles.

The results:

MAC slip-on Megaphone Mufflers 001-0313
    Listed as made for the CM400/CM450s. Comes with a "bracket to stop the center stand". Not sure if that could be adapted as a side-stand stop - like what exists on the OEM left pipe.

EMGO slip-on Megaphone Wide Mouth for Honda 24" - 80-84075 (removable baffles)
    OR
    EMGO Roadhawk Megaphone Muffler Wide-Mouth 24" - 80-84013

5 or 6" longer than the OEM silencers. No side stand or centre stand stop of any kind. The product appearance and descriptions of these two are almost identical, except for the reference to Honda and removable baffles for # 80-84075. Incidentally, #80-84075 is also more expensive.
    EMGO silencers came with my CM400, and aside from the side stand making a dent in the chrome on the Left pipe - they seem to work OK.

Marving Approved Exhaust Silencers Honda CM 400 Custom H/2056/BC
    Made specifically for the CM400. Comes with an OEM style side-stand bumper on the left pipe.
    Probably the most expensive of the bunch, especially because they're made in Italy.

And if I had won the lottery... there's a set of similar brand new original Honda silencers for sale on ebay... in Bahrain.
    https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NOS-HONDA-CB...0/192631866961

The Canadian dollar value sucks right now...
    Last edited by Peggy99; 03-25-2019 at 02:23 PM.

Don't know how they do it in your part of the world but my side stand is on the left side

The side stand stop does seem to be an issue with aftermarket mufflers. Seems to me a stop mounted to the frame would be a better idea.
    JT
    81 CM400T Under re-construction
    82 GL500

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

1978 cb400a
    1978 cb400a
    1979 cm400t
    1981 cm400t
    1982 cb450t silver
    1982 cb450t silver
    1982 cb450t black
    1984 vt500ft Ascot red
    1984 vt500ft Ascot black
    1982 ft500 Ascot black
    1982 ft500 Ascot red
    1980 CM400a
    1972 xs650
    1981 CB400t
    I use to know stuff back when I was older
    Barry

It sure looks like there are not many options because the stock mufflers are a male fit and all the slipons female, so I don't think anything you found wil work with the power chamber. The only idea I have there is maybe you could fit a small piec of pip in the power chamber, clamp that down in there, then put a female slip on on that small piece of pipe and clamp it down. Maykes and extra joint and might be hard to make the mounting work. Lucky my mufflers are OK for now.

Quote Originally Posted by J-T View Post
    Don't know how they do it in your part of the world but my side stand is on the left side

The side stand stop does seem to be an issue with aftermarket mufflers. Seems to me a stop mounted to the frame would be a better idea.
    You got me. I transposed left and right!

Quote Originally Posted by markjs View Post
    It sure looks like there are not many options because the stock mufflers are a male fit and all the slipons female, so I don't think anything you found wil work with the power chamber. The only idea I have there is maybe you could fit a small piec of pip in the power chamber, clamp that down in there, then put a female slip on on that small piece of pipe and clamp it down. Maykes and extra joint and might be hard to make the mounting work. Lucky my mufflers are OK for now.
    What mufflers did you put on yours?

I had a closer look at my CM400 - which for all intensive purposes has the same mufflers/silencers as the CM450. And it's got what looks suspiciously like Emgo aftermarket 24" silencers on it. So some handy mechanic must have made it work. (Unless Emgo has changed their design over the years.)
    My CM400 make noticeably less noise than my CM450, both idling and running.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy99 View Post
    Anyone find aftermarket mufflers for their CM450 that look like OEM/stock, and aren't much louder?.
    I purchased from this seller for my CD400T, very happy with there product

This is a link for CM450, not sure if this is what your looking for

HONDA CB/CM400/450 Twins 2-2 Exhaust Chrome All

I’m pretty sure you will have same mufflers as my CM400T. It’s funny you have the same bike but can’t check since they’re aftermarket. You can check the Honda fiche for part numbers:

https://shop.westernhonda.com/fiche_...cles&mfg=Honda

I believe Honda mufflers you need will be HM 447 or 448. But it seems they contracted out the company ‘Sankei’ to make many of their mufflers as well. So you could also search Sankei 2051. Between HM 447-448 and Sankei 2051, I imagine you could find mufflers in decent shape for under $100. They are side specific. If you buy something, don’t pull a boner and get the wrong side!

Sponsored Links