Throttle Cable Issue After New Handlebars
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Throttle Cable Issue After New Handlebars

Throttle Cable Issue After New Handlebars

Hey Everyone,

My '82 CB450T Hawk was recently knocked over by some @$&-hole while parked on the street. They backed into my bike, knocked it over, then took off.

Luckily the only damage was a broken clutch lever (already fixed), bent kickstand (no big deal, ordering another), and bent handlebars.

I've ordered and installed some new handlebars, going with a slightly lower profile (tracker style bars) than the originals. Got all of the controls successfully switched over, but now when I start the bike up and turn the handlebars left, it revs the engine up. I've read elsewhere that this is likely due to a kink or some binding in either the throttle cable or the choke cable. The engine will also rev up when i tug on the throttle cable.

Is this just a matter of re-routing the throttle cable so that there are not so many bind-points? Is it even safe to re-route the throttle cable from the original location as long as I make sure it can't catch on anything?

Thanks for the help!

I'd say its a routing issue since with the new handlebars being lower you now have more cable to deal with than before. Ideally you should probably get a shorter cable, but you may be able to fix the issue with a bit of rerouting. You'll need the cable to have nice sweeping curves.
    Perry

1972 Honda CB350
    / 1978 Honda XL250S / 1982 Honda MB5 / 2014 Honda CB500X
    Riding Through the Fog

Thanks for the advice. If I re-route the cable rather than switching it out for a shorter one, is there any risk of unwanted throttle play while I'm riding as long as the cable has sufficient play and no kinks? I'd rather not find out my re-routing was a failure while going through a corner!

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Recognizing of course that replacing the cable is the ideal solution, but also factoring in that I'm growing increasingly tired of waiting for parts to come in while I continue to miss a good chunk of ideal riding season!
    Monsier_Mom likes this.

I think you should be fine as long as you test it out. I did the same thing on one of my bikes a few years ago. Not the prettiest having the extra long cables, but it worked fine.
    Perry

1972 Honda CB350
    / 1978 Honda XL250S / 1982 Honda MB5 / 2014 Honda CB500X
    Riding Through the Fog

figure out your routing so there are no tight bends then install and adjust the slack at the cable adjusters per the manual

before you ride, start the bike so it will idle without the choke. then sit on the bike while running and turn the handlebar from lock to lock. if the engine revs at all try again.

you should have the standard slack at the grip at full lock left and right.
    CB350 K5 - Uber Café- Engine build 3
    CL350 K4 - Cafe build done waiting on final assembly
    CB350 K0 - Full restoration w/Hondaline bags & fairing
    SL350 K2 - Bubba Shobert flat track build on deck
    CB-1 400F - unrestored mint rider
    2012 Guzzi V7 Racer - Daily Ride

Ok - I got the throttle cable rerouted and the handlebar reinstalled and have one final question (hopefully). There are two wires coming from the throttle assembly (one green and one black) and I see two connections for them on the brake reservoir assembly (also visible in the picture below). My Clymer manual isn't being too helpful in determining which wire connects to which terminal. Any ideas here? For reference, the picture is taken upward from the ground - you're looking at the underside of the throttle/brake assembly while attached to the handlebar.

Throttle Cable Issue After New Handlebars-higvxrv.jpg

Those wires go to the m/c brake light switch. Go ahead and plug them in.
    1979 CM400T (rider),
    1979 CM400T (resting)
    1980 CM400T (just picked up in pieces)
    1981 CM400T (in surgery receiving transplant)
    1982 CM450 (donor engine for 81)
    1982 CB450 (parts bike)
    1985 VT1100C (rider)

Past rides: Vincents, Triumph, BSA's, Suzuki's, Twingle, Corgy, others.

Remember, today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday.
    My chest fell, but, fortunately, my belt caught it.
    I don't know everything, nor, have I met the one who does.

Ah ha! Thanks

I'm having the same issue since I changed my handlebars from stock 1979 CM400T to "scrambler" bars. The throttle doesn't snap back into place when released. I'd like to get shorter cables. I contacted Motion Pro and they said I'd have to get custom cables made ($60 each). Is there a better alternative out there? How do I search out shorter throttle cables? I have no idea how long my original cables are, and how much shorter I'd need to go in order to find a good fit. Cheers!
    79 CM400T Scrambler

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links