CB750 rear fender install on Nighthawk 250

CB750 rear fender install on Nighthawk 250

So I started installing it today as soon as I got off work So far so good, although I had to put the CB750's fender in the vise first to 'compress' it a little so that it'd fit within the NH frame.

The NH has some slotted holes towards the back which - lucky for me - are well positioned to interface with the fender's mounting holes. The only issue is that they are kind of far from it. Below is a pic of the first fitting. Not ideal, too much bending on the bolts. But cutting the original fender was not too difficult at least...
    CB750 rear fender install on Nighthawk 250-1-without-bushing.jpg

So I went to Ace after taking some measurements and I bought some bushings (now that I know the exact length I guess a single one would look better, but it's not like people are going to look under there much so it's my dirty secret I suppose ). Just took the pic now. After tightening it feels quite secure. I guess there's still some bolt bending going on but it doesn't seem so bad anymore, and there's no bending on the fender itself thanks to the bushings so I was able to tighten it quite a bit.
    CB750 rear fender install on Nighthawk 250-5-bushings-installed.jpg

I think it's starting to look good too! I really dig that big a** tail light!!! <3
    CB750 rear fender install on Nighthawk 250-2-side-view.jpg

Now my next task is going to wire everything (well, only the tail light I guess) back up and somehow try to stash the wiring harness neatly and in such a way that it's protected from the rain, etc... not sure yet how I'll do it but it shouldn't be too hard. And after that I'm going to start looking for either a smallish rear rack, or passenger handles (or maybe a combo of both if it exists?)... there's definitely something to do with the two attachment points on the frame. Any suggestions are welcome...
    CB750 rear fender install on Nighthawk 250-3-higher-view.jpg

I am also pondering attaching the chrome fender to the original plastic fender where they meet since they overlap. Right now it's tucked away underneath, and both fenders are attached to the frame separately, but each is only attached in two points, which form an axis. If bolts loosen it might be a problem if they start rotating. So I'm thinking about bolting them together where they meet, but I don't know if it's a good idea to have potentially loose fasteners around the wheel. Any advice? I've noticed that all the attachment points on the old fender are nuts welded to the fender itself... so there might be some sort of hint there... But I think it'd be better if they were attached together. But I can do that later. So far I'm really liking it! All for ~$50 of parts on eBay so far plus ~$10 in fasteners/bushings/grommets at Ace Hardware. Not so bad. Next will be a battery cover. My daughter is really artsy and will decorate it for me...
    CB750 rear fender install on Nighthawk 250-4-higher-view-closer.jpg
    Last edited by Olivier; 07-03-2019 at 07:43 PM.
    2007 Honda Nighthawk CB250
    2004 Saab 9-3 Aero (because sometimes it rains )

Now finished. For now anyway...
    CB750 rear fender install on Nighthawk 250-without-fairing.jpg
    CB750 rear fender install on Nighthawk 250-rear.jpg

So how are you digging the new fender? I wonder for the rear of the stock seat how it would look if you just took some sheet metal or plastic or something, painted it black to match the seat and stenciled on the HONDA logo. From 20 feet at 20 mph it may look just fine.

CB750 rear fender install on Nighthawk 250-003.jpg CB750 rear fender install on Nighthawk 250-hondaxl_3.jpg
    CB250 Nighthawk projects 92,93,92.
    81 CM400C Sold
    93 CB750 Nighthawk Sold
    73 CB750K3 Long term project stuck in the 'parts collecting stage.'
    Fork Swap info: http://sites.google.com/site/alansdocuments/

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

I absolutely love it, thanks for asking!! My wife pointed out that the new fender seems to be a little on the high side, like a little far from the wheel, but I think it's because the CB750 frame is probably parallel to the ground at the back, while the NH angles up a little at the back. I also think I might be missing a grommet at the top bolt of the tail light, which angles the light itself up an extra bit. That being said, I don't know how it looks when I'm sitting on it, at that point it might just be exactly as it should be...

I think what I'll do next is that I'll add a couple of M6 bolts to secure both fenders together (see last pic of the thread above).

Then I'm thinking I'll find a used right side NH fairing, which I'll cut to make a battery cover (I don't want to cut mine, just in case I ever want to go back to the original look for whatever reason). I was looking at CB350s side covers, but I don't think they'll really fit. This way I can cut it to cover only the battery, nothing else, but it'll attach perfectly to the frame... For now I hope it's not too bad to ride without a battery cover. We do have some pretty gnarly storms these days in MD, so it might get poured on... if it's bad I can try to make a temporary plastic cover...

I think the stock seat looks fine like this, but I do want to find some passenger handles if I can to attach to the rear of the frame. Any suggestions?

Last thing I'm thinking about is to have the stock seat redone, not quite sure if it's possible... Ideally I'd like the foam replaced to be flat (replaced because I'd like it a little thicker, but if it's possible to just add to it that's fine too...), with a new cover, quilted like the old seats, with that white Honda stenciled at the rear like you mentioned...

First three I think will be relatively easy. Not sure about the last one...

Sponsored Links