CM, CMX front end swap.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: CM, CMX front end swap.

CM, CMX front end swap.

Found a winter project to keep my idle hands busy for a while. I plan to swap the front end from a Rebel 250 to the front of my Twinstar 200. I've gathered 90% of the "new" front end. Starting with rebuilding the shocks, master cylinder, caliber, and wheel bearings. Don't know if I'm going to swap out the whole triple tree or just the shocks and leave the Twinstar tree in place. Thinking of doing the Rebel tree and replacing bearings for it. Might make for an easier conversion. Still a few little things to work out, head light mounting, speedo swap?
    Other than just something to do, I feel a disk will out perform a drum for braking. The choice of a front tire is easier for 18" than the stock 17". I will let me use a motorcycle tire instead of Moped tire! Just seems a bit safer over all.
    Any thoughts, suggestions, cautions,????
    Alan F. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Day444rider View Post
    Found a winter project to keep my idle hands busy for a while. I plan to swap the front end from a Rebel 250 to the front of my Twinstar 200. I've gathered 90% of the "new" front end. Starting with rebuilding the shocks, master cylinder, caliber, and wheel bearings. Don't know if I'm going to swap out the whole triple tree or just the shocks and leave the Twinstar tree in place. Thinking of doing the Rebel tree and replacing bearings for it. Might make for an easier conversion. Still a few little things to work out, head light mounting, speedo swap?
    Other than just something to do, I feel a disk will out perform a drum for braking. The choice of a front tire is easier for 18" than the stock 17". I will let me use a motorcycle tire instead of Moped tire! Just seems a bit safer over all.
    Any thoughts, suggestions, cautions,????
    On a bike that small a drum may just provide adequate braking, I guess it depends on the brakes themselves. I personally do not know the details, but I ave heard it said that brakes are something of a science that is little talked about by novices. I'm not sure how true that is, but it is definitely something I'd be wary of. On a small light bike, you want the right amount of stopping power, too much is not necessarily a good thing.

That said though I've done some things folks say are crazy. For insatnace I had an XS1100 full dresser I got super cheap and it had one leaky caliper. Never having rebuilt brakes, nor haaving money or a source of Yamaha parts I simply diabled one caliper and went with single disk on the front. I've been riding bicycles on pavement since I was 5 or 6 and have a god feel for it. I actually barely noticed a difference, but I had guys on the Yamaha boards telling me how insane I was. I'm still alive and aside from one instance where the ex wife was watching,a nd we were both laughing, I never laid that bike down. I made the stupid mistake a couple months after buying it of trying to turn it aroud to park a bit too quickly on wet grass. It has crash bas and no damage, and it happened almost as if in slow motion, I crawled up the high side as I went down laughing at my folly. That bike was fun, but too much bike, what a tank (not to mention at best I got 27mpg).

I'd use the CMX triples, you know they'll fit right and spacing will be correct at the wheel so your brake and speedo drive will work correctly. Perhaps clamp the fork in the CMX lower triple and see if your top triple fits? That will be an easy and valid test, plus if its a go you can easily mount your stock speedo and everything else.

For your speedometer you may be able to keep the stock 200 unit. My understanding is that most Honda speedometers use the same drive ratio, the difference is in the speedometer drive at the front hub. If the CMX cable fits your speedo you may be all set.

What road block is there to using the stock cm headlight mounting?

Cheers.
    CB250 Nighthawk projects 92,93,92.
    CM400C Sold 7-21-18 It's been fun, buh-bye.
    Fork Swap info: http://sites.google.com/site/alansdocuments/

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Addressing the brake issue. I don't think going from a drum to a disc will make any noticeable difference, the dry weights of the two bikes are very close. Twinstar= 302 lbs, Rebel= 306 lbs. Adjusted properly the disc should work fine.

Think I'll be using the entire Rebel front end. No loose bearings in the neck, no fit problems as far as wheel spacing. Not overly worried about the speedometer. I've used a few different ones on the Twinstar. Seems to be if the dial doesn't read any more than 85 mph (top speed) the unit will work. Yes, the tire diameter is one inch larger, shouldn't make a huge difference. I judge my speed more by sound then the speedo.
    Headlight on the Twinstar mounts from the sides, Rebel headlight mounts from the bottom. Could and probably will use a fork mount for the headlight. Least of the problems to work out.
    Choke cable is something that needs to be figured out. Twin is mounted between the risers, Reb is controlled at the left hand grip. Like the idea of it at the grip...
    Alan F. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Day444rider View Post
    Addressing the brake issue. I don't think going from a drum to a disc will make any noticeable difference, the dry weights of the two bikes are very close. Twinstar= 302 lbs, Rebel= 306 lbs. Adjusted properly the disc should work fine.

Think I'll be using the entire Rebel front end. No loose bearings in the neck, no fit problems as far as wheel spacing. Not overly worried about the speedometer. I've used a few different ones on the Twinstar. Seems to be if the dial doesn't read any more than 85 mph (top speed) the unit will work. Yes, the tire diameter is one inch larger, shouldn't make a huge difference. I judge my speed more by sound then the speedo.
    Headlight on the Twinstar mounts from the sides, Rebel headlight mounts from the bottom. Could and probably will use a fork mount for the headlight. Least of the problems to work out.
    Choke cable is something that needs to be figured out. Twin is mounted between the risers, Reb is controlled at the left hand grip. Like the idea of it at the grip...
    You know I have NEVER had a Honda with the choke cable mounted between the risers that wasn't broken (though mine now is fixed enough to work). The handlebar ones are much better. Greasing the shaft that pulls the cable is the key to thos POS things, that's what seizes, not the cable itself.

I can't wait to see it, congrats on your formed plan.

First small snag has come up. I need to identify the year of this front end. It's no longer on the bike, so using the VIN is not an option.
    It has no reflectors on the struts, the disc is mounted on the left side (sitting on the bike and looking forward). Are there numbers on the master cylinder and brake caliper that would be of any use? As I understand it, there are different "generations" for the Rebel's. I want to make sure I get the right parts to do a complete over haul.

Super Moderator longdistancerider's Avatar
    Your new front end is 1996 or newer since there's no reflectors. The lowers/sliders fit all 1996 thru 2016 Rebel 250's. Doubtful you'll find any useful numbers on the other parts. You can go thru and check year/model variations of parts using Western Honda for part numbers and Partzilla lists what models use a given part number
    Alan F. likes this.
    Jim O'Brien
    1979 CM400T "road bike" modified for travelling
    1978 CB400T1 restored
    1972 CL350 survivor restoration

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22...d-attempt.html and https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-...r-attempt.html
    Road Trip https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/11...here-i-go.html or "where's Jim now?"
    Member Map https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/dcMembermap.php

There were only 2 generations of 250 Rebels, you have a gen 2 with your brake disc on the left side.

Generation 2 Rebels were built from 1996 to 2016.
    Last edited by Alan F.; 11-29-2018 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Corrected last model year.

Long distance and Alan, thank you both! I've been using a few Honda Parts sites, to narrow down and variation in the parts themselves. Doesn't seem to be any difference. Seems cheaper to buy aftermarket units then rebuild kits!?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links