1981 CB400T Hawk no power
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1981 CB400T Hawk no power

Hi All,

This is the second CB that I have owned. I picked up the CB400T 3 years ago and only now getting around to working on it. When I bought it, the thing fired. The battery just came off the trickle charger and the battery from another of my bikes also didn't do anything. I just reinstalled the ignition switch after replacing the key and it's connected properly. The main fuse is fine. The engine cut out switch looks like it may have had someone do a hack solder job. The starter button switch is greasy at the contacts and the yellow wire to engage the starter was broken and looks like another hack solder. The starter switch is only supplying power to the starter, but would a bad cut-off switch be the problem? I read somewhere that the ignition and accessories systems are separate. I am not getting power to anything. What components might be causing a complete lack of power?

Edit: Done for the day and will go through Longdistancerider's sticky to see if that helps.

Thanks,
    Brad

1981 CB400T Hawk no power-img_20190510_1717348.jpg1981 CB400T Hawk no power-img_20190510_1717599.jpg1981 CB400T Hawk no power-img_20190510_1718097.jpg

Fixed title for you....66
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 05-11-2019 at 09:40 PM.
    http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14704_1.gif1979 CB 400

When you turn the key on, do you have power to the lights?

I am not getting power to anything. What exactly does that mean?
    JL
    1979 CB 400 T (Cafe Racer)

Probably means you have a blown main fuse (the breaks are NOT always visible)...... Or the ignition switch lost a contactor when apart for key-making...
    Give me a call and we'll trouble-shoot it.....540-525-5199
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 05-11-2019 at 09:35 PM.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Polish View Post
    When you turn the key on, do you have power to the lights?

I am not getting power to anything. What exactly does that mean?
    Yes, no lights, horn, nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by 66Sprint View Post
    Probably means you have a blown main fuse (the breaks are NOT always visible)...... Or the ignition switch lost a contactor when apart for key-making...
    Give me a call and we'll trouble-shoot it.....540-525-5199
    I had thought that about the ignition switch. I could disconnect the wires in the headlight bucket and jump some wires to see if that changes anything. I may do that. I am not an electrical expert though. I'll see if I can find a schematic or pic of which wires supply what to where.

Do you have a test light or multimeter?

Start at the battery. Do you have power to the fuse box? Power to the ignition switch?

Cleaning and tightening cable connections can sometimes be the cure.
    JT
    81 CM400T

Unplug key switch..... Jump main harness end of wires (NOT switch ends) connecting Red wire to Black wire in the now empty main harness plug half......
    Everything EXCEPT taillight and meter back-lights should be working.... IF SO, bad key switch, IF not, bad wires to and from (Red wires) or bad main fuse....
    Phone and I'll guide you through this.....540-525-5199
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

Quote Originally Posted by J-T View Post
    Do you have a test light or multimeter?

Start at the battery. Do you have power to the fuse box? Power to the ignition switch?

Cleaning and tightening cable connections can sometimes be the cure.
    I will have to get out the multimeter and do some checking around connections. Won't be today. Mother's day priorities. The fuses are all good. Checked the condition of wires, but who knows if there are breaks somewhere. Going to start with the harness at the ignition switch plug. If I jumper them and get some power, it will be the ignition switch. The locksmith may have screwed up.

Unplug key switch..... Jump main harness end of wires (NOT switch ends) connecting Red wire to Black wire in the now empty main harness plug half......
    Everything EXCEPT taillight and meter back-lights should be working.... IF SO, bad key switch, IF not, bad wires to and from (Red wires) or bad main fuse....
    I may just do that and thanks for the offer. Mother's day priorities today. But yes, I will first try jumpering the harness at the switch connection. Seems like the most likely culprit given the re-keying. With absolutely no power to anything, makes sense it might be at the switch.

So I finally have a day today to check these things. I have the battery connected to a slow charger. Voltage across the battery to the pole at the solenoid is 13-14. Negative lead from meter is connected to the battery negative. Disconnecting the Ignition connection gives me nothing at any of the connections. Nothing when I connect meter leads across any of the ignition connections (of course supply side). Reconnect the ignition with key on and nothing at starter, fuses, or across solenoid. Would this be the solenoid? Not getting anything from the other pole than the direct battery connection.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links