Should throttle 'snap' back when let go? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Should throttle 'snap' back when let go?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill H View Post
    I dont know how you ran your cables but I found on my A that if you remove the left top motor mount and run the cables between the top mounts they work a lot better. Going around the left mount puts them in a bind. Having worked on several As I KNOW its a lot of work but I would pull the carbs back off , put all the cables on and see how they work ,if ok I would reinstall the carbs with the cables in between the upper mounts.

Hope this helps.

Bill
    I was thinking of doing that routing with my new cable. It doesn't bind but I have it routed thru the center of the trees and around the left side and when I turn the bars left it hangs up on the left riser mount bolt. I was thinking that a zip tie to center backbone of the frame would keep it from hanging up but through the top mount would center it better and look cleaner too. Thanks for that tip Bill
    1972 CB450 K5

Super Moderator longdistancerider's Avatar
    The cables don't go thru the triples, they run over the front and around the left side
    krukster86 and Bill H like this.
    Jim O'Brien
    1979 CM400T "road bike" modified for travelling
    1978 CB400T1 restored
    1972 CL350 nuts and bolts restore in progress

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22...d-attempt.html and https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-...r-attempt.html
    Road Trip https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/11...here-i-go.html or "where's Jim now?"
    Member Map https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/dcMembermap.php

Quote Originally Posted by longdistancerider View Post
    The cables don't go thru the triples, they run over the front and around the left side
    OOPS, well it does now. It doesn't bind at all and I put zip strips or cable ties around it and the clutch cable to hold them to the frame.
    1972 CB450 K5

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

When I replace both of my throttle cables with ones from motion pro, they were VERY susceptable to becoming hung up with internal friction following the stock routing. I also pre lubed them with cable lube as instructed as well. I left the carb ends off and found a routing that provided the snap your looking for. I was not able to use the stock routing hanger as it comes off the handlebar, mine had to "go more forward" before sweeping back on the left side frame. I forget if I put them inside or outside of the engine top mount. I'll check and take a picture of what i did and post tomorrow if I remember before work. I do remember thinking to myself that the factory cables allowed for tighter bends in routing than the motion pre replacements...
    1981 Honda CM400 Automatic !

Been a while since I got to this but I found the culprit! Heavy rust buildup in the end if the handle bar was making it stick. Works like a charm now!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    longdistancerider likes this.

Wow that is gross! Thanks for posting a "conclusion". Now we know of one more condition to check with a sticky throttle. Did you manage to get it cleaned up? Planning to sand it and coat it to mitigate re-buildup?
    1975 CB360T Cafe Project (Being rebuilt from crispy bits!) - Done-ish...now in maintenance mode
    2009 Suzuki VStrom 650
    1983 BMW R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by krukster86 View Post
    Wow that is gross! Thanks for posting a "conclusion". Now we know of one more condition to check with a sticky throttle. Did you manage to get it cleaned up? Planning to sand it and coat it to mitigate re-buildup?
    I sanded and sprayed with oil for now. I will keep an eye on it, but the bars are rusty to begin with so I will replace it eventually with a nicer one.

I thought this seemed like a logical place to post this question. If there's no follow-up, I may start another thread. Not sure what the protocol is.

Anyway, I'm having an issue with a sticky throttle as well. Is there a trick to pulling off the grip and throttle tube to check? I wouldn't be surprised if the end of my handlebar looks like the one in the pic, but I can't easily pry it off and I don't want to force it and end up breaking something. Is there some kind of spring that returns the throttle? When I'm riding and let go, the throttle definitely returns, but upon start up, I can easily make it stick to force a higher idle. Seems sticky more than anything else.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    • First bike ridden: older brother's '70-something Honda CB450
    • First bike owned: '70-something CB500/4
    • after that, a 40+ year non-riding dry spell
    • July 2019: rented a Yamaha V-Star 250 for a day...and was re-hooked
    • Sept. 2019: bought a 1981 CM400t

Quote Originally Posted by Don G. View Post
    I thought this seemed like a logical place to post this question. If there's no follow-up, I may start another thread. Not sure what the protocol is.

Anyway, I'm having an issue with a sticky throttle as well. Is there a trick to pulling off the grip and throttle tube to check? I wouldn't be surprised if the end of my handlebar looks like the one in the pic, but I can't easily pry it off and I don't want to force it and end up breaking something. Is there some kind of spring that returns the throttle? When I'm riding and let go, the throttle definitely returns, but upon start up, I can easily make it stick to force a higher idle. Seems sticky more than anything else.

Thanks for your thoughts.
    Remove the screws holding the housing together and pull it apart. Remove the end of the cable from the plastic throttle sleeve, and then the sleeve should slide right off the bar. The return spring is on the carb.
    1969 Honda CL350
    1983 H-D XLX-61 Sportster

Thanks for that info. I might as well try to lube the cables once I get that housing apart, too. Wondering if I should just get new grips and throttle tube. I guess it will depend on the condition of the existing.
    • First bike ridden: older brother's '70-something Honda CB450
    • First bike owned: '70-something CB500/4
    • after that, a 40+ year non-riding dry spell
    • July 2019: rented a Yamaha V-Star 250 for a day...and was re-hooked
    • Sept. 2019: bought a 1981 CM400t

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links