Urgent: gotta get runniing, 85 CB450SC my only transpo....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Urgent: gotta get runniing, 85 CB450SC my only transpo....

Exclamation Urgent: gotta get runniing, 85 CB450SC my only transpo....

OK, I know how bad Motorcycles can "burn" one for cutting corners, that saif tho, I need one ride to beget another....

Be gettin' the parts to get the damn other rigs fixed or ANYTHING. Living a full two miles from a country bus line that runs 7am to 7pm sometimes (if they feel like it), sure does suck!

The other option is my rage-a-holic neighbors and landlord, who all drink 24/7 or are apt to. Being the ace scoot jockey I am, I prefer my chances I spose....

Maybe I waited too long this year, IDK, but when the motorcycle went down I have spent days gettinga b bicycle back up, for NEED be rif=ding, but it's too hot during day now.

I will add my living situation is rustic, I must haul all my own water.....

OK so long story short, I have an '85 (CA model I think, charcoal can inside air box)?

Anyway this is an old, "twice gifted" machine that I assumed had been worked on, it has not. IDK if the carbs have ever been off. The vacuum lines had been butchered to bypass the charcosl can, and in the heat on second ever oil change, I rather severely overfilled (1/2 quart) Didn't seize it but got fluid locked till I got that right, overflowing the bowls and almost catching bike on fire.

Turns out the PCV vacuum and one of the two on the intake side of the carb also lost it's plug's seal was sucking wind, casing fuel issues. I worry about the PCV, not sure what it was connected to if anything (at work now can't look).

Anyway I got the carbs off and normally I'd tell anyone to just go through it. Thing is, I know it runs as it, and I NEED a runner.

I'm guessing just plug the two top lines again and the bottom to the PCV will be fine. I will drop the bowls and check the floats since they're accessible, but I think if I need to not lose transpo and have it asap for temporary that this should work fine (till I can make a manometer and fully clean everything).

I worry if that PCV might be plugged. I see I can get one for like $25 that I don't have. Is there a generic that can be made to work there or can I do a temporary work around?

Thanks in advance.

Central Florida-Altamonte Springs. Sometimes South Wales UK
    Is English youe second or third language? Not a lot of what you typed makes any sense (to me at least.)
    You need a manual or at minimum the Honda carb manual (generic for all thier carbs, should be able to find a free download) California model almost certainly has 3 jet carbs, PITA to work with on anything other than a stock air system
    There are three types of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't
    I'm not a complete idiot, but, I'm working on it

Quote Originally Posted by crazypj View Post
    Is English youe second or third language? Not a lot of what you typed makes any sense (to me at least.)
    You need a manual or at minimum the Honda carb manual (generic for all thier carbs, should be able to find a free download) California model almost certainly has 3 jet carbs, PITA to work with on anything other than a stock air system
    Yeah, just as I figured, not much help here.

I NEED it to run even if it blows the motor, it's worth it. I'd just assume it not seize or catch fire is all or rocket a bolt from the case

Now if anyone wishes to be of help, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Sometimes doing more than skimming, sneering at what ya think ya read and then telling me exactly what I said I don't have the time or abilility to deal with might get a better reaction you'd think anyway right? Sorry if it breaks someone's heart I destroy a machine. I'd prefer not to die of thirst or inability to get groceries and to a pharmacy.

Thnaks for the non help tho.

My life is INCREDIBLY complicated, boring and not your biz, I just need a runner now, IDC if it dies sooner than it should otherwise. Sorry if that doesn't jive with some folks opinion of what motorcycles are. They are both things of beauty and real LIFE OR DEATH trans[po in some parts of third world America and the rest of the world.

Sorry, just really going through it on all fronts.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

The problem is that we can't answer a question we can't decipher or understand....Therefore we need to ask questions back....

While I am unfamiliar with the California model, (never saw or had to work on one), there is a breather separator assembly in the air box shown in the fiche...Is that what you mean by "charcoal canister"?...

A PCV valve is basically a (one directional) check valve...You MAY be able to clean and reuse, I don't know.......

What "bowls" did you overfill with oil?...Only way I can see "fluid locking" the engine would be to fill either the cylinders or the sump with liquid.....
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

I get what you mean about getting it on all fronts, lots of us have been there to one degree or another. I don't know what you've got to work with other than a 450 Nighthawk. Be careful, take a few extra minutes here and there to prevent little mistakes like overfilling the oil. Better to be 1/8 inch low on the dipstick than 1/8 inch too high, plus oil left in the bottle will get used eventually right?

So what shape is the bike in, is it complete? Just needs some key areas cleaned up like your carbs?

There are corners that can be cut, you can run with scissors and not worry too much. PCV valve? What the heck for? It'll run without it, just vent it to the atmosphere like previous generations of Hondas do.

You may not need to rebuild your carbs. They probably just need certain areas and passages to be clean. If you can spare the cash for a cheap can of carb cleaner, it may be enough if you use it sparingly. Cotton swabs help but a stiff bristle of hay will work well for free.

Please go through your bike one system at a time, let good enough be good enough and move on to the next system. If you can post pictures please do so. But try to focus on one area, system or even one part at a time. If you've got only a matter of days to get it running we can help but it may take a lot of words.

Look at it this way, when I drive across town here I take the short route through some not so nice neighborhoods. There's an old dude with an 1100 goldwing, I pass his house every couple of days and when he brought his bike out this spring the windshield was broken, he said some snow had slid off the roof onto his covered bike, ouch. I drove by it for weeks like that until today I was going through a bunch of parts I'd bought last fall and there were 2 windshields that looked right. I was never gonna use them, and they were pretty scratched up, but you should have seen his face when I brought them over and said the word Free... That made it all worthwhile. Us Honda guys have to stick together.

So when you're not sure what to reply or how to answer someone, just take a minute more before getting grumped up and read again, not all things we'll reply with are meant to get your grumpy up.

You can get that bike running, we can help. Sometimes members here have shared parts with other members, you never know who's gonna come through for you.

So pick an area of the bike to start on, and don't be like me... Keep it short and to the point.

Its gonna be ok.
    Rothafella and oupa like this.

Everyone's life is incredibly complicated, your not that special. I got laid off 16 days after arm surgery then found I had fractured spinal disc, both from work accidents - so what? 8 yrs later, still no money or chance of it. You don't know me or need to care. All you said was bike isn't working, it may have been working sometime but your not sure? You have internet access, download service and carb manuals, probably free here or DTT?, You will need them to work on that bike even if you intend to destroy it in next week or so (although it is a pretty reliable engine if you just keep oil in it reasonably clean and change filter sometime). If it's your only transport you don't **** with a running vehicle unless you know you can fix it or make other arrangements for a day or two, been there, learned that the hard way. Do you have tools and resources other than duct tape and JB weld?
    There are three types of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't

California bike!!! Oye. Good luck with THAT

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dhoelcher View Post
    California bike!!! Oye. Good luck with THAT

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    And thats not just sarcasm, i looked in his previous posts and he's got plenty of years turning wrenches at dealerships, and not just for Honda.

So dont take it the wrong way, it just could be an uphill struggle.
    CB250 Nighthawk projects 92,93,92.
    CM400C Sold 7-21-18 It's been fun, buh-bye.
    Fork Swap info: http://sites.google.com/site/alansdocuments/

markjs,

If you're still looking at this thread and not totally disgusted, PLEASE allow me to try an explanation. There are some incredibly knowledgeable and talented guys here. More importantly, they are knowledgeable about OLD HONDAS in particular! Don't give up too fast. My first suggestion is to stop using text message-style abbreviations. It overly complicates the issue. I'll assume you're using a phone and I'm sympathetic to the space issues in that as opposed to a computer keyboard & screen, but it really hurts how your question comes across to those who really do want to help.

Bike problems can be incredibly frustrating! That frustration is multiplied when the bike is needed. Please try again. Re read what AlanF posted above. Whatever the problem with your bike, you are unlikely to find a more talented pool of help than you have available here. That help however is totally dependent on you. You must provide information they can get a mental picture from to suggest solutions. That may entail repeated back and forth questions and suggestions! It's a process of elimination basically, starting with the most likely, or easily addressed cause and working backward until solved.

Best of luck.
    ancientdad likes this.
    "They're not like cars with a body that rusts out in a few years. Keep them tuned and overhauled and they'll last as long as you do. Probably longer." - Robert Pirsig

I guess that explains a lot. I've never sent a text and don't have a cell phone (being on call 24-7-365 kinda makes you hate cell availability, when it was no longer a work requirement II dumped it)
    oupa and chaindrivecharlie like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links