Press fit pilot jets
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Press fit pilot jets

Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to the forum and to working on bikes (I posted in the welcome page earlier today). I'm wondering how the heck to remove the press fit pilot jets from the carbs on a 1980 cm400t. I am planning on replacing them with larger size ones so it's not vital that the old ones remain usable, but I do at least need to be able to read the size number so that I have a reference to move up from.

Just get a micro drill bit set and drill them one size larger than they are. Try the smallest one #80 if it fits work your way up to the one that's two big to fit in the jet and use that one.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

I may have already damaged the tops of the jets trying to get them out , and would prefer to replace them if possible.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Super Moderator longdistancerider's Avatar
    The slow jets are #38. There are no suppliers for the press in jets that I know of.
    Jim O'Brien
    1979 CM400T "road bike" modified for travelling
    1978 CB400T1 restored
    1972 CL350 survivor restoration

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22...d-attempt.html and https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-...r-attempt.html
    Road Trip https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/11...here-i-go.html or "where's Jim now?"
    Member Map https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/dcMembermap.php

They don't have to be pretty, just pass gas

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

In that case do you know the diameter of the hole for the size 38? I got some micro drill bits but I'm not sure what size to use. Is the hole in the jet the same diameter all the way through or is it smaller on the side I can't see?

This is the style of micro bits I have. I'm not sure if the drill part is long enough. Has anyone successfully tapped threads into the whole to accept standard pilot jets? Or as a last resort are there any other carbs that would work well on a 1980 cm400t?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Press fit pilot jets-20190328_090615_1553785632846.jpg  

Why do you need to enlarge this jet?

I'm running pods and a more free flowing exhaust. I upped the main jets to 90 and 125, but now my low/mid throttle is lean and sputtering. I talked to a local mechanic that has worked on a lot of old bikes/cafe racers and he was saying I need to go up a size or 2 on the primary. He said that would be much better than just shimming the needle jet. I decided earlier today that before I mess around with the pilots anymore I'm going to try a custom carb kit from 6 sigma. You tell them evrything about your bike including mods and they design a kit for you, even for a cm400t. If that doesn't work I think I will just spend the money on some mikuni carbs.

If I were in your situation, if shim the needle(or sand it down). It costs pennies and takes very little time. Of course, there's a pod sticky for this model that you should check out too. What's the stock main jet size for your bike?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links