Balancer Chain Replacement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Balancer Chain Replacement

Balancer Chain Replacement

I have followed all FSM and forum instructions/tips on trying to tighten the balancer chain on my 1980 CM400E (at 10k miles and looking like it was never adjusted). No amount/direction of movement of the stopper plate appears to have any effect the tension on my chain; it remains noticeably slack, despite otherwise appearing in good order.

I have a couple of questions:

1. Is it a likely possibility that the chain slipper is stuck and cannot increase tension?

2. If the balancer chain does, in fact, need to be replaced, does the block have to be dropped and split, or can it be done in place? (I’ve tried searching the forum and web for information on how to replace the balancer chain but have been unable locate anything pertinent.

TIA
    Last edited by davidperagallo; 06-12-2019 at 03:36 PM.

What kind of bike to make sure? A Rebel 250?
    JL
    1979 CB 400 T (Cafe Racer)

So much easier to answer your questions correctly IF we know what bike you are working on........
    J-T likes this.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Sorry guys.... I thought I had put that info in.
    1980 Honda CM400E

You are obviously in need of a legitimate factory service manual.

PM sent.
    JT
    81 CM400T

Quote Originally Posted by J-T View Post
    You are obviously in need of a legitimate factory service manual.

PM sent.
    I have been able to access LDR’s stash for some time. [1000 thanks for his generosity.] However, I am unable to find anything specifically about replacing a balancer chain. I have gone through the adjustment sequence per the Honda Factory Service Manual. The closest reference that hints at an answer is this quote from the Clymer manual:

“CRANK CASE AND BALANCER SYSTEM - Service to the lower end requires that the crankcase be removed from the motorcycle frame.”

Is this the answer? I would rather avoid tearing apart the motor at the beginning of the summer riding season in New England, if there is some other way to more simply replace just the chain.

Simply put:

Do I have to pull apart my motor to remedy my slack balancer chain?

You will have to remove the motor and split the cases and remove the crank shaft to replace the chain. If you do this pick up a pair of solid balencers to replace the ones with the rubber inserts. You will have to refer to the full service manual to set the timing on the balancer.

Bill
    J-T and davidperagallo like this.

Factory service manual (NOT CLYMER)

Removal procedure on page 10-3, installation procedure on page 10-15.
    davidperagallo likes this.
    JT
    81 CM400T

Quote Originally Posted by Bill H View Post
    You will have to remove the motor and split the cases and remove the crank shaft to replace the chain. If you do this pick up a pair of solid balencers to replace the ones with the rubber inserts. You will have to refer to the full service manual to set the timing on the balancer.

Bill
    Thanks Bill,

I was surprised to find cm450 solid balancers available inexpensively on eBay. I usually just try to things once and right, but money is tight right now. I was wondering if people thought it was worth getting a new balancer chain from David Silver Spares (around $50, shipped), or whether It would suitable to buy a used complete balancer assembly (under $50) and just install the used components. Good idea or bad idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if you can find a good used chain and solid blancers by all means do so but dont do anything till you get it apart. you wont know the condition of the shafts and slippers till you can see them. It may not be the chain. if the slippers are worn out it could give you a loose chain. Have you noticed any rubber bits in your oil? Anyway see what you need first before spending any money. Since your going to have it down you might as well check the bores and rings maybe do a leak test on the valves. New gaskets and seals.

Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links