HondaTwins Forums

Cm250C Won't stay in second, pops to neutral or sometimes first, metal dust in oil.

Thread: Cm250C Won't stay in second, pops to neutral or sometimes first, metal dust in oil.

Tags: None

BenHume said:
    They are straight and I don't see any wear on them.. I can take better pics of everything but I swear I don't see wear.

longdistancerider said:
    You need to check the 2nd gear fork for perpendicularity, exactly 90 degrees from the rod the fork rides on.
    Jim O'Brien
    1979 CM400T "road bike" modified for travelling
    1978 CB400T1 restored
    1972 CL350 survivor restoration

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22...d-attempt.html and https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-...r-attempt.html
    Road Trip https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/11...here-i-go.html or "where's Jim now?"
    Member Map https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/dcMembermap.php

BenHume said:
    Here are pics of the forks. The first pic here is all three forks in the order that were on the fork shaft, the top fork is the first you remove and so-on.. I believe the bottom fork is the second gear fork you mentioned.

Cm250C Won't stay in second, pops to neutral or sometimes first, metal dust in oil.-img_20190703_133620.jpg

Here is an up close of each fork and a side view of each in the same order:

Top:
    Cm250C Won't stay in second, pops to neutral or sometimes first, metal dust in oil.-img_20190703_133428.jpg

Cm250C Won't stay in second, pops to neutral or sometimes first, metal dust in oil.-img_20190703_133434.jpg

Middle:

Cm250C Won't stay in second, pops to neutral or sometimes first, metal dust in oil.-img_20190703_133530.jpg

Bottom:

Cm250C Won't stay in second, pops to neutral or sometimes first, metal dust in oil.-img_20190703_133607.jpg

Cm250C Won't stay in second, pops to neutral or sometimes first, metal dust in oil.-img_20190703_133612.jpg

Cm250C Won't stay in second, pops to neutral or sometimes first, metal dust in oil.-untitled-1.jpg

Anything look amiss? im thinking ill reassemble without gaskets and just try to work the mechanism and see if I can figure out whats up...I can just throw the clutch basket back on and the shifter and see what happens..
    1981 Honda CM400C

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

66Sprint said:
    Is it the picture angle or is the hole in the bottom fork not round?
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

BenHume said:
    Just the photo, the are all seemingly fine.. very little wear. I'm thinking about reassembling what is necessary and see if I can figure out what's going awry.

66Sprint said:
    Post #4 ...second pic down....shift shaft spring (gearshift spring part # 24651-419-000) is not pictured......
    It is necessary for accurate shifts...Did you remove it or was it missing?

You may phone me......
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 07-05-2019 at 06:21 PM.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

BenHume said:
    I removed it, didnt notice any missing parts
    1981 Honda CM400C

BenHume said:
    Ok, so I'm fairly sure I just am stupid and pulled the engine apart for no reason, oh well, it was a good learning experience. The issue seems to be that the new clutch pads contaminated the oil enough that the little spring loaded arm in the shifter shaft wasn't lubed enough and was getting stuck and therefore not reaching the little peg in the shift drum. Ugh. Oh well! I am basically ready to reassemble. I have some oil and some assembly lube I've used in the past. Besides making sure everything is nice and clean and applying some lube where necessary, are there anything other tips y'all have for my reassembly? Should I put the crank case/cylinder gasket on dry or put some lube or adhesive on them? Thanks for the help yall