Could a 450 seat be reshaped to look like this ?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Could a 450 seat be reshaped to look like this ?

Could a 450 seat be reshaped to look like this ?

I've never really spent much time on the cosmetics or aesthetics of the 450. I had big plans for a cafe style conversion at the start, but the need to sort out a number of things mechanically first slowed things down to the point where the character and looks of the bike began to grow on me. A couple years on now with the bike running well (looks for a large solid piece of wood to touch..) I have a hankering to make one particular change.

I first saw this Norton in the film 'One Week' a long time ago, and thought it was a great looking bike.

The seat really does it for me - a big contoured saddle for the rider, which tapers aft into a nice little racing hump. I think it works particularly well with the lines on the Commando - especially the way it flows into the tank and drops back to the shortened rear hump.

Is that shape achievable on the 450 do you think - either through reupholstering the original seat-pan (preferably) or going down the aftermarket route ?
    CB450 K5

My Dad used to pull seat covers off and use an electric carving knife to contour the foam - once for my 5' tall ex-wife to learn to ride on first a CB400F, then again on her CB650 later (shorter shocks on the 650 as well, along with thick-soled shoes) and it worked out well for that purpose. He just re-used the stock cover, pulled down more where necessary. (sorry for the grainy close-up of scanned photos)

Could a 450 seat be reshaped to look like this ?-cb400fseat.jpg Could a 450 seat be reshaped to look like this ?-cb650seat.jpg

Since the tank shape is a little steeper slope on the 450, it might be more difficult to achieve that look... but it certainly does flow well on the Norton, it's a great match
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time
    Budget drag bike project
    CB350K1 full patina project
    Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Anything can be done with enough time/money/skill. I see no reason you couldn't make something similar on the 450 pan.
    oupa likes this.
    1981 Honda CX500D
    1974 Honda CB450
    1986 Yamaha Radian 600

Martha's Vineyard Ma

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

I had one of those cb400/4s back in the day Tom - had forgotten how cool the original seat with the buttons around it looked. Looks like a good job your dad did.

Quote Originally Posted by Rscottp View Post
    Anything can be done with enough time/money/skill. I see no reason you couldn't make something similar on the 450 pan.
    Ah I know. I don't have any skill in the area really, but could farm out the upholstery bit easily enough. The things I suppose I'm worried about are whether it is possible to create a similarly stylish seat without having to butcher the 450 seat pan - or heaven forbid - start modifying frame loops and suchlike
    Last edited by -alan-; 11-24-2019 at 10:00 AM.
    CB450 K5

I don't think you would have to cut up the pan but you will need to add foam and shape it then send it off to have it upholstered. Cover will be a little tricky to cover the hump.
    1981 Honda CX500D
    1974 Honda CB450
    1986 Yamaha Radian 600

Martha's Vineyard Ma

Search giuliari. They made beautiful seats for cb750s and others. Import knock offs are out there, but they're made cheap to sell cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Search giuliari. They made beautiful seats for cb750s and others. Import knock offs are out there, but they're made cheap to sell cheap.
    https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Universal-Bl...item25e835f14d

35 euros including postage to my door - that IS cheap

I know the brackets are wrong for the 450K - but can't help wondering if it'd be worth buying one and rigging up some brackets to bolt it to the frame and keeping the original seat as a spare.
    CB450 K5

Was trawling through my 'puter archives - knew I had another pic of a 450 seat..

Found this one again:

Has anybody seen this bike before - or perhaps know if it's an aftermarket seat ?

edit - scrap that..used image search and found the original link to the bike:
    http://www.chinonthetank.com/2010/03/the-cb450-seat/
    Last edited by -alan-; 11-24-2019 at 05:19 PM.
    CB450 K5

Quote Originally Posted by -alan- View Post
    ...used image search and found the original link to the bike:
    the cb450 seat - Chin on the Tank ? Motorcycle stuff in Philadelphia.
    Incredible - the very bike that was originally the intended recipient of the MegaCycle cams that LiamG6 ended up buying from him (Ed), and then Liam and I later traded sets of cams and those cams are now in my red 450! All the way from the States to Oz and back to the States. Check the comments at the end of this link

Cb450 performance camshaft - Chin on the Tank ? Motorcycle stuff in Philadelphia.
    Alan F. likes this.
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time
    Budget drag bike project
    CB350K1 full patina project
    Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Small world this world of old 450s indeed
    CB450 K5

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links