Riding in winter...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Riding in winter...

Riding in winter...

I'm planning to ride my bike throughout the winter. Except during periods of precipitation which may cause ice or snow.
    Does anyone know what the lowest temperature is that a bike may start?
    When googling this, I was referred to a forum, where they talked about anything under 20 degrees the bike not being able to start. They recommended covering it and putting a space heater, light bulbs, and various other means to get it started below 20 degrees, on the engine.
    My problem is that I will be working 8 to 12 hours. And during that time the temperature may fall 10 to 20 degrees. So I will not have anything to warm it while at work.
    I am just wondering if anyone knows of the temperature where I will not be able to kick-start it if my battery won't start it anymore?
    Thanks for any advice about this. I know there are other riders out there who ride through the winter. Those are mainly the riders I am reaching out to now.

If you are gonna ride in real cold temps you should probably use a lower viscosity oil. I ride my bikes through the winter usually but only go when we get a day when the temps are over 40F.
    1981 Honda CX500D
    1974 Honda CB450
    1986 Yamaha Radian 600

Martha's Vineyard Ma

i used to ride through the winters when i was a teenager on and off road mid to late 1970's. as long as you can physically take the riding conditions, the bike will be fine. i never used a different oil and the bike started fine using full choke then took a few minutes to warm up before taking off. quilted overalls and thick gloves and/or hand shields are your friend.
    Rscottp and oupa like this.
    current project: 1986 CB450SC Nighthawk

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

I rode a bike (CB450) through 7 winters in Denver - no different than any other time, except COLD !!
    FrisianWheel likes this.
    Bill Lane
    Honda Twins Founding Member

No advice, just info

'75 CB200T, '71 CB450 K4 Half-Breed, '72 CL350 (Sold), '81 CM200T, '72 C70M
    and a little red Chineeze scooter

http://www.bikeexif.com/honda-cb450-restoration

Hi, everything is possible. I had ridden 600ccm CBF on Monday this week. It was -2.0 Celsius in the morning. I would not recommend this as a pleasant ride.

oupa likes this.
    Andrew JK, forward inclined rider,
    Granny Raspberry, Honda CB125 K5, '72,
    Little Blueberry, Honda CBF 600 SA, '04
    Silesia, Poland

I rode my Honda S90 through the winter in the early '70, and could tell the temperature by when my hands stopped working; temperatures were down to 15-20F in the mornings, and I had a 7 mile ride. No issues starting it, but then, it was a much smaller engine. Never tried it with my 305 Super Hawk - it became a summer-only bike. If you are concerned about the battery starting it, get one of those booster batteries. I use one on damp mornings when my 450 is reluctant, and it spins right up. That is rarely below about 50F, now, so YMMV.
    Rick

Mine is a mostly 1970 CB450K3

Not the same comparison since I'm in Florida, but when I was 15 I rode my CT200 to school 12 miles in 28° with the old-school 3/4 helmet, flat face shield, scarf around my neck, double gloves and double socks... and the wind chill still froze me, when I got there I could barely open my hands off the grips (auto clutch on the bike, didn't do as much as you would with a manual trans). Bike started up just fine, but I swore I'd never ride in that temp again... nothing below 40° for me either since. Don't know how people do it in real winter weather
    knauff13 likes this.
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time

Budget drag bike project

Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Senior Member Carnivorous Chicken's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    Not the same comparison since I'm in Florida, but when I was 15 I rode my CT200 to school 12 miles in 28° with the old-school 3/4 helmet, flat face shield, scarf around my neck, double gloves and double socks... and the wind chill still froze me, when I got there I could barely open my hands off the grips (auto clutch on the bike, didn't do as much as you would with a manual trans). Bike started up just fine, but I swore I'd never ride in that temp again... nothing below 40° for me either since. Don't know how people do it in real winter weather
    I like this tale of woe from frigid Florida!
    Brent, ancientdad and Bill H like this.
    1965 CL160 project
    1966 CB77 project
    1968 CL175 sloper
    1969 CB160
    1972 Yamaha CS3 (sold!)
    1973 CB350F (Red)
    1973 CB350F (Green)
    1973 CB350F (green) project
    1975 CB400F engine in a 1973 350F frame
    1975 CB550K
    1977 CB400F
    Various jumbled bits and pieces...

Our winter riding requires a pick up with a plow, a frozen lake, a studded dirt bike and a large bonfire for warmth. The bikes don't care how cold it is, just the humans.
    ancientdad likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivorous Chicken View Post
    I like this tale of woe from frigid Florida!
    Hey, it's all relative to what you're used to... last time I was in any snow, I was 5 years old in Michigan! Happy to have it so far back in my rear view mirror...

actually, we DID have snow here back in '77... 24° that morning at my Mom and Dad's house in Masaryktown, not that far from where I live now, and about 2" of it that lasted maybe an hour

Riding in winter...-1977-masaryktown-snow.jpg
    Last edited by ancientdad; 10-09-2019 at 05:30 PM.
    Bill H likes this.
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time

Budget drag bike project

Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links