Stalling in 1st gear
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Stalling in 1st gear

Angry Stalling in 1st gear

Hey all-

Last week I replaced the clutch cable and throttle cable on my freshly rebuilt bike, but now I can't get the bike to take off after I put it in 1st. It always stalls no matter as I try to take off. I can't figure this out.

Here's a video of it happening:

I replaced my old clutch cable with a shortened one from Common Motors. I figure it's something with how the clutch is adjusted. My process for that was:

1- I screwed the adjuster cable where it feeds to the clutch all the way down
    2- I set the handlebar adjuster screw at half-way
    3- I adjusted the adjuster on the side of the case (screwed clockwise past the marker until it stopped, then back toward the marker until I felt a little resistance, almost getting back to the marker).

4- That was still quite loose. So I backed the adjuster in step 1 out about 2cm until the clutch lever felt decently tight with only about 1cm of looseness as I pull the clutch.

Any one willing to try and help me out here? I keep messing with the handlebar adjuster screw, but I'm not getting anywhere. Really don't want to just drop it off for a $300 repair after doing the full rebuild myself!

Phil
    Boston, MA. Proud owner of a $700, 1974 Honda CB450 K7 that doesn't run. Looking for advice on getting running and looking sharp. No need for perfection, but trying to show the bike some respect!

Phone....540-525-5199.....Might be a 25 cent fix......(hint, hint)
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 05-06-2019 at 10:10 AM.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

Hell ya, thanks again! I will update once I get out of work (if I can get home before dark....after that and the neighbors start complaining!)
    Boston, MA. Proud owner of a $700, 1974 Honda CB450 K7 that doesn't run. Looking for advice on getting running and looking sharp. No need for perfection, but trying to show the bike some respect!

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Hey Phil. Bike sounds good. Make the phone call.
    Clutch adjusting can be a pain especially if it's your first time.
    1975 500T
    1971 CL450
    1970 Norton Commando S

Well, I haven't test driven it yet (pouring rain), but I think I got it corrected in my garage!

I put the bike on its center stand and I played around with the clutch until having it in 1st with the clutch pulled/rear-brake depressed didn't stall the bike.

Now to adjust my idle down to 1200 or so. I'd remove the carbs and measure the openings again....but removing the connectin piece between the carbs is so annoying! Have to loosen the throttle cable a bit and turn the carb adjsuter screws about 1/4 at a time.

Thanks again you guys!!

Phil

Hey 66Sprint and HondaPete! (or whoever wants to chime in),

I ended up bringing my bike to a shop because I couldn't figure this out. I did a 100% rebuild on the bike myself, but I am new to this....so I needed help. The one-guy-shop came highly recommended and I really liked him.

Here's what he found:

(1) The front brake is sticking and thus the master cylinder drain hole must be plugged up.
    (2) The bike is stalling after a bit of idling. One spark plug is dirty and that cyl is not getting equal amounts of fuel.
    (3) I wanted him to use the Common Motors re-jet-kit I bought and figure out which would be best for my air pods.

Do you guys think the below prices are reasonable? I rebuilt both the master cyl and the carbs myself already, so I though both of these would be very easy fixes for him. With that, I thought his quote seemed high in terms of hours billed for the carbs.

Stalling in 1st gear-2019-06-05_14-01-15.jpg

Thoughts? Thanks!

I suppose that $80 an hour is what he needs to pay his overhead, plus make a decent wage. It would be interesting to see if anybody on here has access to any of Honda's old flat rate manuals.
    fillmarr likes this.
    '65 YG1
    '65 CB160
    '66 CL160
    '67 CL77
    '68 TR6
    '69 T100R
    '69 T120R
    '72 Commando 750
    '78 XS650E
    '79 Gl1000
    '81 440 LTD
    My company car is a Kenworth

(3) I wanted him to use the Common Motors re-jet-kit I bought and figure out which would be best for my air pods.

Don't do it. Unless your jets are damaged, they can be cleaned. Often times after market jets are not sized correct;y and you will have a hell of a time tuning the carbs

$604 for that? Jesus Mary and Ralph!

Get yourself an after market master cylinder and done. The newer ones are better than the OEM MC anyway and will be wayyy cheaper.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-...wAAOSwC-1c48Xg

'76 CB500T Frankenbike
    '73 CL450 (basket case for now)

Carpe narem.

Yeah, I was thinking the carb labor overall was high to begin with - especially 2 hours to balance/sync them. Rejetting can take a lot of time but that's an entirely different story
    fillmarr likes this.
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Thank you everyone! I agree his time IS worth it, but I think I have to remove a few line items here. Was thinking:

(1) I'll do my own brake cylinder
    (2) I'll have him set the carbs right (since I failed)
    (3) I'll skip the re-jet, and do that myself IF I even need it. I just read online that people liked this kit after using pod-style air filter conversion (kit is: https://www.common-motor.com/product...SABEgKuFfD_BwE)

Thoughts on #3?

Phil

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links