First Bike..CB 450 Police?
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: First Bike..CB 450 Police?

Hey guys! Just joined up..bought my first bike to restore a few hours ago..a 1972 CB450..it was in police service in Pakistan apparently and I wanted to trace what it would originally look like so I can get close to that..i am wondering if it was built for police service or later converted...the service apparently added dual shocks at the back for an added person carrying weight...

One of the things I am a bit confused about is whether this is original or modified..a 1972 should not have drums at the front??

I will be regular on this forum for everyones advise and learn from everyones experience the best I can..

Thanks everyone!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Bike..CB 450 Police?-img-20181209-wa0084_1544462975997.jpg   First Bike..CB 450 Police?-img_20181209_1509367_1544462998845.jpg   First Bike..CB 450 Police?-img_20181209_1509498_1544463089274.jpg   First Bike..CB 450 Police?-img_20181208_1808520_1544463147503.jpg  
    1972 CB450P2 Police
    1979 CBX 1000

Looks like a 5-speed frame/tank, and motor - numbers starting with 5 would be a US K5, but all bets are off concerning foreign models.
    Appears to be a front end complete from a 4-speed.
    the rear fender "looks like" a 4-speed, not sure - it may just be a foreign model fender.
    Generally the mechanical siren was mounted in the rear, with the "drive" on the rear wheel.
    Never saw anything quite like those shocks.
    This was probably cobbled together in-house, not an official police model.
    Bill Lane
    Honda Twins Founding Member

No advice, just info

'75 CB200T, '71 CB450 K4 Half-Breed, '72 CL350 (Sold), '81 CM200T, '72 C70M
    and a little red Chineeze scooter

http://www.bikeexif.com/honda-cb450-restoration

^^^yes, and welcome Hamza. Definitely an interesting find you have, and though I don't know much about the Honda Police models there are many here who both own them and have plenty of knowledge of them. Good to have you... and now that you're here, please take a look at this and post an Introduction for us

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/23...e-posting.html
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time
    Budget drag bike project
    CB350K1 full patina project
    Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Definitely an interesting bike to compare to the US Police model. It certainly has some hard to find parts like the siren and cable as well as the rear crash bar as well as the documents holder which this one has a pillion pad on it. Has the correct police headlamp with speedo in MPH too. Front end and fenders appear to me to be like the US K1 police version which has the European K1 style fenders. The tank is later, not a K1 toaster obviously. Does the gas cap screw on perhaps? The serial number is odd for police... in the US the K1 police bikes frame started with CB450P-300xxxx. There was also an extra brace in the frame on US versions between the rear triangle and seat stays. This bike doesn’t appear to have that. In sum I agree with Bill, it looks like a 450 with police parts added and not what we in the US know as an original police bike. Still there are many hard to find police parts on that bike that would be of value on a restoration.
    Here is a link to a US police K1: https://goo.gl/images/tRrni2
    bill440cars likes this.
    Runners
    1971 Triumph Tiger
    1972 CL350
    1974 XL350
    1974 CB450

Current Project
    1966 CB450 Black Bomber

ancientdad and Russ Lang like this.
    Runners
    1971 Triumph Tiger
    1972 CL350
    1974 XL350
    1974 CB450

Current Project
    1966 CB450 Black Bomber

Quote Originally Posted by 12ozPBR View Post
    Definitely an interesting bike to compare to the US Police model. It certainly has some hard to find parts like the siren and cable as well as the rear crash bar as well as the documents holder which this one has a pillion pad on it. Has the correct police headlamp with speedo in MPH too. Front end and fenders appear to me to be like the US K1 police version which has the European K1 style fenders. The tank is later, not a K1 toaster obviously. Does the gas cap screw on perhaps? The serial number is odd for police... in the US the K1 police bikes frame started with CB450P-300xxxx. There was also an extra brace in the frame on US versions between the rear triangle and seat stays. This bike doesn’t appear to have that. In sum I agree with Bill, it looks like a 450 with police parts added and not what we in the US know as an original police bike. Still there are many hard to find police parts on that bike that would be of value on a restoration.
    Here is a link to a US police K1: https://goo.gl/images/tRrni2
    Thanks for that!

I think the brace was cut to make room for an addition shock. Maybe an extra police man was meant to occupy the back seat..please see a side shot attached..

As for the tank i am a bit confused..maybe over the years, the side silver covers of the police version were stripped off...the blue stripes is actually some sort of sticker or vinyl...

I will get delivery of the bike soon and will share some detailed pictures!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Bike..CB 450 Police?-img-20181209-wa0084_1544482892630.jpg  
    1972 CB450P2 Police
    1979 CBX 1000

Quote Originally Posted by Hamza View Post
    ...maybe over the years, the side silver covers of the police version were stripped off
    No, that tank is definitely from a K3 or K4, the K1 tank - affectionately called a toaster tank because of the chrome panels with rubber knee pads attached to the sides - used mounting areas for the chrome side panels that would've had to be covered with body work to get to the shape of the tank that is on the bike right now, not likely to have been done (particularly in view of the average to below-average work on it already visible, highly possible much or all of that happened where it was used as a Police bike - which is still somewhat amazing to me, as you might expect it to have been blown up at some point)
    Tom

Budget drag bike project

It could be an export police bike with missing parts, or a locally built police bike with addons. Its got some pretty cool parts, thats for sure.

I found this link of a guy with a Police bike that was from Dubai, looks similar to yours, and the owner added some extra things, but was a 1970 police which would explain your tank. 1970 Dubai Police Honda CB450 Classic Motorcycle Pictures
    ancientdad and Russ Lang like this.

^^^that would explain a few things, like the remnant bracket on the siren intended to be mounted on the crash bars, and the tank as well. Taillight looks the same too... but those dual rear shocks - wow...
    Tom

Budget drag bike project

Need more pictures to help answer questions. It’s a mix up of a bike based on what we are used to seeing. I take back my K1 front end comment from earlier. The top triple tree is the pinch bolt style. It really does seem like an early ‘70s with police parts added. Hopefully Hamza isn’t a purist... I don’t know if there is a way to restore this to an original police bike as it’s doubtful it is truly one. It does have some of the desirable police bits on it though. And yeah the double shocks...I thought I had already had one too many beers tonight!
    Runners
    1971 Triumph Tiger
    1972 CL350
    1974 XL350
    1974 CB450

Current Project
    1966 CB450 Black Bomber

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links