First Bike..CB 450 Police? - Page 11
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: First Bike..CB 450 Police?

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    If you were using a remote battery with the test light to set the timing (and not the actual ignition circuit power with the bike's battery) then you would get the reverse reaction from the test light. I have concern for the screw and lack of washer on the spark advance unit though... you need the proper washer with the 6mm inside diameter and oversize outer diameter to ensure the breaker cam on the advancer does not slip outward on the shaft while running. Also, you should rotate your points wire terminals so they will avoid contact with the points cover, as in the picture below. The oil pump will be immersed in oil when the engine is fully assembled and the correct amount of oil is in the engine, so it will prime itself once movement begins. You could certainly turn the engine over with the starter and the spark plugs out (kill switch off) to get oil flow to the top end started, and if you leave the exhaust valve cover off you'll be able to see when it starts flowing out of the cam lobe orifices. Be aware that the flow of oil to the top end is slow and takes 1 to 2 full minutes to get there, so pre-lube everything in the top end with the valve covers off until right before you start it the first time, and then keep the revs as low as possible for the first couple minutes to avoid excess friction that would wear through the film of oil from pre-lubing before the oil flow gets there. Personally, I'd rather leave the exhaust valve cover off and watch for oil coming out of the cam lobes orifices rather than loosen a properly-torqued head nut... but that's just me.
    Thanks for the advise..

My test light is basically a length of wire with a 12 V light in series and a crocodile clip at one end and a lug at the other.

So I ran the (+) from the battery through the ignition coil to power the system. I clipped the crocodile clip of the test light to the base plate of the points system which I believe is ground.

The (-) Terminal on the battery was connected to the ignition mount bracket bolt and I attached the other end of the test light at this point also.

My thinking process was that when the current stops flowing, as the point gap increases, the light will go off and this is the point I need to align with the LF/F mark.

I agree with your observation of the washer and I will replace it. Should it cover the entire front face of the advance unit?

I intend to leave the covers off the first time I run it just to make sure it all runs well...is it too messy to leave the intake cam cover open? The gear protrudes from the head and I am concerned that it may not be ideal...I was thinking of giving the lobes a coat of assembly lube. I have a high pressure assembly paste that I had put on when I used the starter to turn the engine a few times to see if it was making any compression at all and everything was fine...being a fresh engine without any bedding I got around 160 Psi...I would like some advice to see if I can use this paste or stick to assembly lube from STP or such...

First Bike..CB 450 Police?-assembly-paste.jpg

For me to see the oil for the first time do I need to continuously crank the electric starter for 2 minutes? Or do I put on the assembly paste/lube and let it run for 2 minutes and if the oil does not show then I am safe due to the assembly paste/lube?

I like your idea of spotting the oil through the exhaust cover; I read the article shared by @12ozPBR and it mentions one should torque the engine down again after the run ins,; problem is the center bolts are not accessible from the top due to the hanger mounts so I cannot run a torque wrench through there...if I torqued it properly in its cold state would thermal cycling over progressive running loosen then?

Cheers

Cheers!
    1972 CB450P2 Police
    1979 CBX 1000

Quote Originally Posted by Hamza View Post
    I agree with your observation of the washer and I will replace it. Should it cover the entire front face of the advance unit?
    It could, but as long as it covers the diameter of the breaker cam lobe (the removable part of the advancer) it will be fine. A standard washer will be too small.

...is it too messy to leave the intake cam cover open?
    Both will be messy, but the intake cam gets oil flow sooner than the exhaust. The left exhaust cam lobe/bearing cap gets its oil last, so I always watch the exhaust side (and the mess is easier to clean up in front)

For me to see the oil for the first time do I need to continuously crank the electric starter for 2 minutes?
    If mine had electric start, I'd turn it over for at least a minute to see if it begins - but not a full minute straight to be kind to the starter motor. Bursts of 10 to 15 seconds with a pause in between would get it there in a reasonable time

I read the article shared by @12ozPBR and it mentions one should torque the engine down again after the run ins,; problem is the center bolts are not accessible from the top due to the hanger mounts so I cannot run a torque wrench through there...if I torqued it properly in its cold state would thermal cycling over progressive running loosen then?
    I always let it sit overnight and re-torque the next day, but that isn't the same as after a few heat cycles. I think the inner nuts could be done with a wobble extension with the motor mount plate off, but I've honestly never tried it
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time
    Budget drag bike project
    CB350K1 full patina project
    Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Thanks mate! All noted...will put up a video of first run! Wish me luck...lol
    1972 CB450P2 Police
    1979 CBX 1000

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Hey guys...so I think I will start the bike tomorrow..I managed to fit the essentials on and turn it with the starter..i got oil flow to the exhaust cams and i saw oil flowing from where the intake cam journal rubs against the bore of the cover...I have Moly sulphide grease on the lobes etc for some extra insurance...i would imagine that the pump needs engine rpm's to generate decent flow?

Also I am using a SAE 20W-50 oil...it gets really warm down here...usually summers are 40+C...it is about 36-38 C these days..

I will run the bike off a battery and direct from a small portable tank...i do not want to hook up the tank now with the petcock if I dont have too...

Felt great to see it look like a motorcycle finally!!

Any last minute tips?

🙂 🙂
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First Bike..CB 450 Police?-img_20191023_1650380_1571865140416.jpg   First Bike..CB 450 Police?-img_20191023_1650508_1571865217028.jpg   First Bike..CB 450 Police?-img_20191021_1637510_1571865281031.jpg  
    1972 CB450P2 Police
    1979 CBX 1000

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11

Sponsored Links