The ol’ when to replace tires thread....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The ol’ when to replace tires thread....

Hi all,

so, we know I no longer own a 450 but still wanted to ask anyways....I recall using Dunlop k70s that the front took quite awhile to wear while the rear naturally wore quicker but seemed to last....on my newly owned w650, it has more modern Bridgestone bt45 tires, which makes reading the tread pattern for wear harder, as the Dunlop treads were more pronounced.
    Previous owner rode 3,000 mi before selling to me. I have done 4,000 mi and will ride to November, avg. a 100 mi daily, 75 mi if I cut rides short.

7,000 mi to replace both seems....quick to me. No abnormal handling issues or inflating issues but....I ride this bike faster....😀 thoughts?

i will post tire pics this week. Some ‘torques’, ultra-fast local riders once told me they were replacing rear tires at 1800-2000 mi mark!

I don't think it has much to do with the mileage as riding style and where you ride (off road or not) can affect the life of the tire a lot.
    Aside from visible indications of tire wear, I usually will replace them regardless after 3-4 years or so. Most manufacturers will say that the tires are good up to 5 years (from date manufactured) of service and possibly more but....
    '76 CB500T Frankenbike
    '73 CL450 (basket case for now)

Carpe narem.

Thanks for the fast reply! Well, once week I easily hit 93 for a few seconds to stretch it’s legs, so that has to contribute. My miles are backroads with light gravel and then a stretch of highway-like terrain. Lemme post pics this week for further comments. Looks like I will replace both mid October.....and yup, local shop charges extra if I buy tires elsewhere but last time I popped in he was ok so....prolly going with same ones; Bridgestone bt45

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

I haven't seen a tire without wear indicators in a long while. Those are little raised bumps in the grooves that show up when the tread is worn down until even with the bumps. You should be able to run a thin screwdriver along one of the grooves until you feel the bottom of the groove rise up one or two millimeters.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=moto...hBczvPtxdkJ6M:
    Rick

Mine is a mostly 1970 CB450K3

ok, feel free to share any opinions. below are pics of the front and rear tires.
    I don't have any inflating or handling issues whatsoever but as of now, there are 7,000 miles on both...I am the third owner so I don't know what the first, original owner did. I only know the guy I purchased my W from rode only 3,000 miles+ with these tires. I have done 4,000 miles thus far this season. thanks as always everyone!

-front-tire.jpg

-rear-tire.jpg

Those are what we call chicken strips

that's a pretty severe flat spot in the rear in my opinion.
    1975 CB400 F0 Stock
    1974 CB550 K0 Chopper
    1970 CL350 K2 Stock

so you don't think the rear tire can make it til mid-October? any other insight? front condition?

Rear tire looks typical for a bike that hasn't been cornered very hard. Front tire looks typical for a tire left under-inflated for a while. Depends on how you ride, they'd probably make it to October unless you plan to put 4000 more miles on in the next 6 weeks
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

It may be the lighting but the front tire looks uneven in wear.
    You could probably still ride with these until mid-October as long as you take it easy but I would replace them after that for sure.
    '76 CB500T Frankenbike
    '73 CL450 (basket case for now)

Carpe narem.

I can just make out the wear indicator on the front tire; it hasn't reached the surface yet, but there it is. I don't see one on the rear tire, but that could be the lighting. If that's 7k miles, you should have at least another 1k or so on the front.
    Rick

Mine is a mostly 1970 CB450K3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links