The ol’ when to replace tires thread.... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    great! thanks so much, as always. I will replace both mid October...or....wait til next year and cut my season short mid Oct. and save some $.
    again, no handling issues whatsoever but I came here for advice so that's what I will do. cheers!

So I've got a related question that I'd like some opinions on. The tyre codes on my 450 give the date of manufacture as 2009, which I guess is when I put them on. Since then, the bike has done around 200 miles and spent around 95% of the time off the road and in a garage while I tried to chase down a very, very stupid timing issue. In addition, the rear wheel has barely touched the ground 'cos the bike was on the centre stand. It's only in the last year or so that I've had any real use out of it.

The tyres themselves still look pretty pliable and as you'd imagine, there's next to no wear on them; there's certainly no cracking, bulging or anything else that would suggest they're anything other than fit for purpose. The riding I do on the bike now is back road stuff, and almost exclusively in the dry. So what's our opinion on whether these things should be replaced? Personally, I think they're still good enough - at least for now - but I'd be interested in other opinions, particularly from those who have low mileage bikes that don't go out very often.

And I say this with a decent comparator. I was wondering why the ride quality on my 750 felt unforgiving and a somewhat underwhelming when I last used it. But that was before I had a look at the date code . . . turns out those tyres are from 2006 and although the bike's had a similar life to the 450 while it's been with me, I think it had some use before I got it. So whilst those tyres also look reasonably decent, they've lost elasticity and started to harden. Replacing them is on the list of things to do once I've sorted out the CL77 engine . . .
    Last edited by the-chauffeur; 08-15-2019 at 09:07 AM.
    CL77 (1966)
    CA77 (1966)
    SL350 K0 (1969)

SL350 K2 (1971)
    CB450 K6 (1972)
    CB750 K2 (1972)

Quote Originally Posted by jseconds77 View Post
    great! thanks so much, as always. I will replace both mid October...or....wait til next year and cut my season short mid Oct. and save some $.
    again, no handling issues whatsoever but I came here for advice so that's what I will do. cheers!
    J, you need to change your avatar... unless you've dressed up the W650 to look like a CB450
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time
    Budget drag bike project
    CB350K1 full patina project
    Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

@the-chauffeur replace them because that seems like a long while ago. I replaced a K70 tire merely based on age and not tread or how it felt. I think the rule of thumb is like 5 years (?)no matter the condition.

@ancientdad If I change my avatar I will be shunned by the Twins crew! keeping it as is, I still have access to the valuable insight here ha ha ha ha.

can I get the thumbs up for replacing both tires come October?

@the-chauffeur, you can test for pliability with a flat screwdriver that is about 20% wider than a tread; twist the screwdriver through, and if the rubber just flexes and lets the screwdriver pass, it is still fairly 'live', and may still be useful. If it is too hard, or cracks, it is really done. In any case, time to save up for a new set of tires, as 10 years, even in ideal storage, is about the limit for tire rubber.
    Rick

Mine is a mostly 1970 CB450K3

My tuppence worth... most modern tyres are made from compounds which lose their elasticity over time, so older tyres cant be as good! The tread pattern or Sypes are used to help remove rainwater from the road, and to grip the road surface. Hard and bald old tyres cant do this so well.
    Tread wear gauges are built into the tread....if you look round the circumference of the sidewall you will see TWI for tyre wear indicator. There will be a block of rubber in the central groove opposite the TWI mark. If the tread has worn down so that the TWI is level with your tread, your tyre is used up. You'll get away with a few hundred miles or so more, but it's time to start thinking about new ones.
    The rear tyres wear more quicker than the fronts, they have more horsepower going through them.
    Racers use slick tyres, with no patterns in them, but slide all over the road when it rains, so they change to wet tyres with lots of tread, and sticky compounds...but they have a bigger budget than we do... you may have seen the film with Burt Munro ( Worlds fastest Indian) cutting new treads in old bald tyres and filling the cracks with boot polish...
    For me, tyres are what keeps the bike shiny side up.
    Go talk to your local tyre supplier, you'll get a good deal and good advice. I've just bought a new CL175, and it needs new tyres. I wanted to use the bike off-road and I asked him what tyres to get, thinking he'd say there are none available in those sizes or I'd get road street tyres only, but no, he came back with a Turkish tyre manufacturer I'd never heard of, Anlas.
    Think about it for a moment, these guys live in an area of the world where there aren't many metalled roads, so they have developed tyres to suit their environment. I was sceptical at first....But...they have off-road tyres in the sizes for my bike. So I've ordered tyres, tubes; and rim tapes.
    I've also gone for the Michelin Sirac tyres for my SL350..
    And Avon Streetrunners for my CB175....in due course I'll have some idea how they perform...
    2002 GSXR1000
    2005 R6
    2003 R6
    2003 Hyosung Comet 125
    1983 CB250RS
    1979 T140E Bonneville
    1976 CB360
    1975 T160 Trident
    1974 CL450
    1972 CB500/Four K1
    1972 CB350/Four K1
    1972 A100 Suzuki
    1957 T100

so some of this is operator error....I added more air to my tires so that should obviously prolong their life. I was under-inflated the last couple of rides so no doubt that can have a negative impact. I will continue following your sage advice; Slow down a bit, keep extra watch on 'em, replace both come October.

thanks again!

I've just bought a new CL175, and it needs new tyres. I wanted to use the bike off-road and I asked him what tyres to get, thinking he'd say there are none available in those sizes or I'd get road street tyres only, but no, he came back with a Turkish tyre manufacturer I'd never heard of, Anlas.
    I fitted some Mitas H-03 block pattern tyres to my CL175, made somewhere in the Eastern bloc, very heavy and hard, look like they'd last for ever, but I didn't feel happy with the way they felt on the road, swapped back to Dunlop K82 TT100 alikes, much happier. Found the tyres via one of the online discount car and bike tyre sites, knobbier versions also available in CL175 sizes, for example from Heidenhau.

On my CB175 I've got some Cheng Shing ( aka cheap s*** ) tyres, ribbed front and K70 pattern rear, same as original Japanese Dunlop Gold Seals. I have to say, they seem fine cornering hard in the dry, I try to avoid riding in the wet.

Just fitted Michelin Road 5 sports touring tyres to my Hornet. Previous Road 3 tyres had done 4000 miles, but the rear was done to around 1mm in the centre, and both tyres were 6 years old, so due for a change. I once managed to wear out a set of Avon sticky tyres in less than 2000 miles on this bike.
    Last edited by Richard_Pitman; 08-16-2019 at 10:31 AM.
    1970 Honda CB175K4
    1972 Honda CL175K7
    1999 Honda CB600 Hornet
    1970 - 1972 Random heap of CB/CL/SL 175 parts, slowly being reassembled ..

so a little update...Been cutting rides a little short to prolong the current tire life and working to not exceed speeds of 65mph. but....where my bike is stored the highway dept. absolutely tore up all the streets! During those two rides I had to endure bad, rather hazardous conditions. After 2 rides I stopped for that week but I could see a different wear pattern in my rear tire just from those rides! But hey, good to keep skills up. I swear, any braking and down ya go.

Roads are really nicely paved now and NY weather has been great, so I'm back at it. Combined with longer work schedule I'm confident my tires, as is, will be fine until mid October when I go to change 'em. I'm prepared to drop some $$. ugh.

Going with the same, Bridgestone BT45s, which are the common upgrade on W650s.

Ordered new tires, the site only charged 245 for the set, shipping included. If I have a good vendor experience I’ll gladly add additional info. I went ahead with the same brand and model, Bridgestone bt45. I try to make few changes on bikes once I’m used to something. Got caught in a heavy rainstorm and even though my bt45s do need replacement soon, they kept the bike planted and straight.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links