How do you guys remove the wheel bearing retainers? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: How do you guys remove the wheel bearing retainers?

Supporting Member David Babbitt's Avatar
    How do you guys remove the wheel bearing retainers?-img_2695.jpg
    The 4 studs might be pushed out from the back side of the wheel. At the time of the photo I thought to put the 4 studs back in with the sprocket with silicone rubber due to the slop I saw. Later, I cut 0.005" spacers from a bean can and that took it up. The studs are sitting in metal sleeves which is in black rubber that was to take up shock when soft, now turned to Bakelite with time.

#3 in drawing just shows alternative "stacking" IF using the chain guide disc..... same bolt-in studs as the other drawing area.....They are just corroded into the metal tube centers of the rubber drive cushions......
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 04-07-2019 at 03:16 PM.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

Quote Originally Posted by 66Sprint View Post
    #3 in drawing just shows alternative "stacking" IF using the chain guide disc..... same bolt-in studs as the other drawing area.....They are just corroded into the metal tube centers of the rubber drive cushions......
    Ahh, that makes sense... I just can't beliefe that the bolts are just corroded to the sprocket. I put something underneath, heated up the joint and tried to loosen them with a hammer. There was no movement at all, what made me belief that the sprocket and bolts are one unit in my case. The bolts beeing heavily corroded to the inner metal center of the dampers is someting I can imagine for sure. Anyway, I have to find a way to get that sprocket out. I just hope I can leave the dampers in the hub without any damage. 200$ for changing the rear sprocket (including studs and dampers from cmsnl) isn't exactly what I'm looking for.
    Last edited by FrisianWheel; 04-09-2019 at 12:02 AM.
    Gunnar

1972 CB450 K5
    1975 CB500T
    1972 CB450 K5 - in progress

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Hitting the studs WILL NOT have any effect as they are already "down" as far as they CAN go..... IF your sprocket is trash anyway, a punch (steel pipe) from the other side of the wheel (angled through the spokes and "catching a tooth" inside the pipe) worked around the sprocket (tapped so the sprocket is moving slightly away, but relatively "straight" and evenly) will eventually remove the sprocket..... Some or all of the studs MAY come with it........Penetrant shot between the sprocket and wheel may help the studs release from the cushions......
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

Supporting Member David Babbitt's Avatar
    If the goal is to get the 4 studs out (to which the rear sprocket is bolted), apply penetrating oil from inside the wheel (with halves separated), then axially drift pin them out from the rubber inserts.

This might help ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sponsored Links