All Balls tapered steering bearing washer
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

All Balls tapered steering bearing washer

I'm installing All Balls bearings. I don't have the old bearings and races that I can measure for height comparison. I've been told I may need to use the thinner of the spacers on the bottom tree. Its a 1973 CB450. Can anyone tell me if i need to use the spacer?

try googling it. I did this job on my 400F and there was not a strong consensus on which washer to use.
    1975 CB400 F0 Stock
    1974 CB550 K0 Chopper
    1970 CL350 K2 Stock

OK, Thanks. I'll give Google a try. I wanted to get it done tonight, but I may wait until tomorrow and see what kind of info I get. Thanks again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Well, Google was no help. Surely someone here has installed these bearings in a CB450. It would be a simple process if I had the old bearings/races to measure. How about it. If you've done the All Balls steering bearing replacement on a 450, which spacer did you use. I don't want to have to do this twice.

Keep me posted.. I have 73 450dohc and considering this install
    "Yes, my hands and nails have grease stains. I ride vintage!"
    -xulf13-

Well, I can't (obviously) guarantee your results (your mileage may vary?), but I used the AllBalls kit on my CL450K5 (actual '72, titled '73 but has the later forks like the CB450) and I did not use the washer... I figured after careful measuring that I'd be better off with a little more threaded length at the top than with a little less, and rolled the dice on whether or not it would rub the bottom of the neck, and it didn't (actually no closer than it was stock). It's hard to be exact in this situation but it worked for me
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Thanks for the reply, I was considering leaving out the spacers also as the new bearings appear taller. I think I'm going to do the dice roll too, and omit the washer. Hope it works, I don't want to do it twice.

Since Ancientdad says he didn't use the washers on his 450, I think I will leave them out also. I'll post a follow up when I get it done, though it may be a day or two as I have an elderly parent with some health issues to tend to.

Sorry to hear of your parent who needs care... it eventually comes to that at some point, and they are lucky to have you as a responsible relative who will be there for them. I lost both of my parents in just under 2 years prior to joining here, it's not something any of us look forward to but unfortunately it's part of life. I wish them well and hope for a speedy recovery.

just to clarify - I left out the 1 washer below the lower bearing, leaving the bearing and grease seal only on the bottom of the steering stem. I did not leave out multiple washers, only one. Didn't mean to be vague or improperly communicate.
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

No rush.. and thanks
    "Yes, my hands and nails have grease stains. I ride vintage!"
    -xulf13-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links