Welded Triple Tree
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Welded Triple Tree

Welded Triple Tree

Normally I should make this post in my project thread but since I've found only one post with actual pictures of a triple tree weld but lots of comments if welding is a reasonable aproach, I thought it might be a good idea to post this seperately in order to make it more easy to find. I also remember Jim (jamespal) being curious about how the weld looks on the inside. Unfortunately it wasn't shown on the other pictures, so here we are...

Anyway, when I got my CB450 project bike it had a broke triple tree which is not uncommon. For some reason the PO thought removing the central bushings at the clamps is not a big deal. So the clamp had to brake eventually or he overtorqued it. I thought that I'll find another one on eBay but had to learn what some of you may already know: These fork bridges are very rare birds. Instead of finding possible alternatives I've decided to get it welded and found someone who obviously has a good command of his craft. I think the mechanic was also fairly motivated cause he told me that he'd owned a black bomber back in the day and still loves the 450. So pleased with the result I couldn't resist to polish it today. I've also sanded the inside a little bit with a wooden rod and it fits now perfectly to the fork. OK, there are some small bubbles but I don't think it's an issue cause most of the load is on the lower tree anyway.

Welded Triple Tree-img_5759.jpgWelded Triple Tree-img_7987.jpgWelded Triple Tree-img_6873.jpgWelded Triple Tree-img_6866.jpgWelded Triple Tree-img_6863.jpgWelded Triple Tree-img_6874.jpg
    Gunnar

1972 CB450 K5
    1975 CB500T
    1972 CB450 K5 - in progress

That's great! You can't even tell! Don't throw em away guys!

I wonder if those are supposed to have a washer in the slot like the early CB 750's to keep them from being overtightened?
    TOOLS

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

They are supposed to have a washer in the slot. Missing washers are the cause behind a lot of breakage.
    Pat

1975 CB360 (CB378)
    1973 CB450K6
    1965 CB77 Super Hawk

Picking mine up today.. I dropped it off at Coastal Empire Moto on the 14th. Aaron texted me the best day said it was ready. Today is the first day I've had to get by the shop..
    Welded Triple Tree-img_6498.jpg

Just picked it up.. I am MORE than happy with the work! Aaron is open for this kind of repairs if you are unable to get it done locally. Just shoot him a email.. ( coastalempiremoto.com)... keeping guys like this in business will help with the longevity of this hobby.
    Welded Triple Tree-img_6528.jpgWelded Triple Tree-img_6529.jpgWelded Triple Tree-img_6530.jpg

Out of curiosity, how much did the welding cost? It looks great!
    Pat

1975 CB360 (CB378)
    1973 CB450K6
    1965 CB77 Super Hawk

... I would suggest shooting Aaron a email. I am in the middle of doing paint work for them.. so we trade work..

I've paid 30$ for my welding job including a welded fix on the chain guard.
    Gunnar

1972 CB450 K5
    1975 CB500T
    1972 CB450 K5 - in progress

I didn't touch a thing, got it home, and it fit perfect.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links