Need Help Wiring CB500T With K&S Switches
    Junior Member aacavuoto@gmail.com's Avatar

Need Help Wiring CB500T With K&S Switches

Purchased a Brown Bomber for cheap. Upon arrival starter button and headlight were not working. Replaced blown bulb, still nothing. After jumping the starter motor to make sure that wasn't seized, i decided to go ahead and replace the switches. Purchased these simple K&S switches, but there are some additional wires on the main Honda harness that don't have a place on the K&S left switch. The Blue/White and Orange/White "Position" wires. Any idea where I wire these two position turn signal wires in to? The diagram just shows them going from the original switch directly to the turn signals.

With everything connected how it should be, the turn signals light but don't flash, headlight with brand new bulb is still not lighting up at all and the starter switch still isn't engaging the starter motor. Grounds seem to be ok and all connections in the headlight bucket seem fine. I did however try and voltmeter the headlight plug with ignition on and couldn't get any voltage there.

Deeper wiring issues or am I missing something?
    Need Help Wiring CB500T With K&S Switches-cb500t-wiring-crop.jpgNeed Help Wiring CB500T With K&S Switches-12-0203-wiring-diagram.jpgNeed Help Wiring CB500T With K&S Switches-12-0203-black-right-s-e-start-stop-switch-7.jpgNeed Help Wiring CB500T With K&S Switches-12-0055-k-s-headlight-turn-signal-kill-switch-78-7.jpgNeed Help Wiring CB500T With K&S Switches-12-0055-k-s-headlight-turn-signal-kill-switch-78-2.jpg
    Last edited by [email protected]; 10-12-2019 at 09:53 PM.

Moved to DOHC 450/500T Electrical Discussion
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time
    Budget drag bike project
    CB350K1 full patina project
    Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

First, remember you are converting from Honda color coding to Yamaha color coding, so almost NONE of the right hand switch colors will match.....

The right hand side is easy, (although you will lose the provision of turning the headlight off automatically when pressing the start button, you will be able to manually turn it off at the new left switch unit)......
    The following three colored wires all must be connected to stock Honda main harness BLACK wires...Stock Honda main harness Black/red, and both the new switch Black, and the new switch Red/black
    The new switch Blue/white connects to Honda main harness Yellow/red....,
    and the new switch Red/white connects to Honda main harness Black/white........

The left side is even easier with only two color disparities, BUT, installing the new left side switch will result in the loss of the running lamps in the front turn signals.... (The Honda Baby Blue/white and Orange/white as you've already discovered)....
    Connect the new switch Yellow to the Honda harness Black/yellow.....
    Dark Blue, White, Gray, orange, light blue (baby blue), and light green (mint green) all connect to the matching Honda color wires.....
    Left hand new switch Black gets grounded......(Honda harness dark green)

Please phone with any additional questions about this.....
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 10-13-2019 at 12:16 AM.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Junior Member aacavuoto@gmail.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 66Sprint View Post
    First, remember you are converting from Honda color coding to Yamaha color coding, so almost NONE of the right hand switch colors will match.....

The right hand side is easy, (although you will lose the provision of turning the headlight off automatically when pressing the start button, you will be able to manually turn it off at the new left switch unit)......
    The following three colored wires all must be connected to stock Honda main harness BLACK wires...Stock Honda main harness Black/red, and both the new switch Black, and the new switch Red/black
    The new switch Blue/white connects to Honda main harness Yellow/red....,
    and the new switch Red/white connects to Honda main harness Black/white........

The left side is even easier with only two color disparities, BUT, installing the new left side switch will result in the loss of the running lamps in the front turn signals.... (The Honda Baby Blue/white and Orange/white as you've already discovered)....
    Connect the new switch Yellow to the Honda harness Black/yellow.....
    Dark Blue, White, Gray, orange, light blue (baby blue), and light green (mint green) all connect to the matching Honda color wires.....
    Left hand new switch Black gets grounded......(Honda harness dark green)

Please phone with any additional questions about this.....

First off, thank you so much for this response.

Right hand switch: There is no RED/BLACK in the Right hand Honda harness. Only: Green/Red (i believe now this is clutch engage wire which is null because of replacing stock clutch perch with after market, does this affect anything?), Black, Black/White, Yellow/Red. Understood black and black red of K&S need to wire into Honda Black, But where do i get the honda Black /Red to Honda Black. Does it need to be wired in from ignition switch? Because there is no Honda Black/Red that comes up the right hand switch harness. I have wired everything else in the Right hand switch per your instructions and the switch seems to work great now. starter works!!

Also, I have everything connected as such for left hand switch, still no headlight at all, and still no flashing turn signals, only solid light with enabling turn button. Flasher isnt engaging but it was before. Headlight was never working.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 10-13-2019 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    First off, thank you so much for this response.

Right hand switch: There is no RED/BLACK in the Right hand Honda harness...Agreed, The Red/Black I refer to is in the MAIN harness and carries battery positive power back to the headlight fuse once you connect it to a MAIN harness Black...This power returns forward as the Black/Yellow and powers the headlight switch in the LEFT unit (via connection to the Yellow wire)..... (Which is why you still have no headlight). Only: Green/Red (i believe now this is clutch engage wire which is null because of replacing stock clutch perch with after market, does this affect anything?) (see below), Black, Black/White, Yellow/Red. Understood black and black red of K&S need to wire into Honda Black, But where do i get the honda Black /Red to Honda Black. Does it need to be wired in from ignition switch? Because there is no Honda Black/Red that comes up the right hand switch harness. I have wired everything else in the Right hand switch per your instructions and the switch seems to work great now. starter works!!

Also, I have everything connected as such for left hand switch, still no headlight at all, and still no flashing turn signals, only solid light with enabling turn button. Flasher isnt engaging but it was before. Headlight was never working.
    The Clutch safety switch (Green/Red wire and green wire) could provide a ground for the starter solenoid IF the bike was in gear....Its removal will require you to be in neutral to electric start the engine.....
    Turn signals staying on is either a drained/weak battery or bad flasher, probably the former.....
    Had you phoned as I requested, the wiring would be done, and I would not have had to type for all this time again
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 10-13-2019 at 01:50 PM.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

Sponsored Links