Correct Ohms readings for Neutral switch wire? No light after digging in around there
    JCW

Correct Ohms readings for Neutral switch wire? No light after digging in around there

Having an issue with my neutral light on my 71' CL450K4. It worked, then I changed all the seals on the left side of the engine behind the shift shaft cover, then it didn't. I assumed the neutral switch got fouled up when I removed it so after a bunch of fiddling and no fix, I got a replacement. The replacement switch (and my original for that matter) both test good so I installed the new one just for grins. Anyway, the replacement switch didn't fix the problem so now I'm tracing wires etc.... Neutral Bulb doesn't test so I figure now that's the problem, but my test light won't light either.

Here's what I've done so far:
    I ohm checked the neutral wire (light green w/ red stripe) from the connector at the neutral switch to the outside of the neutral bulb housing, removed from the tach. Ohms read 1.1-1.5. Is this a good reading? I'm having trouble finding the proper Ohm range for this type of wiring so any help here would be appreciated.

I used my test light probe on the center post of the neutral bulb socket to a frame ground (battery neg post) with the key on and no light. Am I correct in the assumption that the ignition switch (on) feeds power to the neutral bulb socket (center post) and when the neutral switch is in the correct position, it provides a ground thus lighting the neutral light bulb? If this is correct, why is my test light not lighting? Is my test procedure wrong or do I have possibly a broken wire from the ignition to the neutral light bulb socket? Any ideas folks?
    1971 CL450K4

Please phone me......
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

JCW
    Well...... Steve to the rescue again. Ohms readings were right, but the bad bulb wasn't the entire problem. Steve walked me through deciphering the headlight wiring rats nest to locate a power wire that, while plugged in, lacked continuity, thus causing the problem. A bad bulb and a loose connector, both at the same time, which is just about how my luck runs when doing electrical troubleshooting. A big thank you to Steve, what a great resource!
    1971 CL450K4

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

You have 12 volts to the light from the ignition switch and then it goes through the light to the neutral switch where the switch creates a ground to turn the light on. Ohms are not what you need to be checking.
    TOOLS

Sponsored Links