New Electrical System for CB500T?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: New Electrical System for CB500T?

New Electrical System for CB500T?

Hello All,

I am looking for a good thread on the "how to's" of installing a modern electrical system on my 500T build ... I would like to go with a lithium battery and LED light setup ... but I don't fully understand what that means from the perspective of a new harness and charging system ...

I'm sure this has been discussed before and if someone could point me towards an appropriate thread I would appreciate it ... Thanks Bill
    '75 CB360
    '75 CB500T

Super Moderator longdistancerider's Avatar
    I'll suggest a conversation with Matt, aka Sonreir, of Sparckmoto
    Jim O'Brien
    1979 CM400T "road bike" modified for travelling
    1978 CB400T1 restored
    1972 CL350 nuts and bolts restore in progress

https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/22...d-attempt.html and https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-...r-attempt.html
    Road Trip https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/11...here-i-go.html or "where's Jim now?"
    Member Map https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/dcMembermap.php

You don't need a new harness just a new regulator/rectifier.
    '76 CB500T Frankenbike
    '73 CL450 (basket case for now)

Carpe narem.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 76TWIN View Post
    You don't need a new harness just a new regulator/rectifier.
    +1

A new harness may not be a bad idea, but it's not always necessary.

LED swap for headlight and tail/brake light should be plug and play; no changes necessary. For the turn signals, a flasher relay and diode setup are usually the way to go: LED Flasher and Diode Pack - Sparck Moto
    The new flasher relay is to make sure the turn signals flash. Original flasher relay relies on the turn signal lights pulling enough current and LEDs don't use enough power to make this happen. With the original flasher relay, your turn signals will come on, but they won't flash. The diode part is to prevent crossover at the single dashboard indicator light. The original Honda design relied on a phenomenon called voltage division so that you were able to reverse the polarity through the gauge light without lighting up the opposite side when signalling. Without the diode, signalling left or right will actually turn on all four flashers, regardless of the direction you signal.

For LI-ION, a new regulator/rectifier is in order. 14.6 is the absolute safe upper voltage limit for LI-ION batteries (most manufacturers will tell you 14.5V just for a little extra wiggle room). OEM specs on the volage regulator allow up to 15V, I think? It might even be 15.5V... Anyway, a new regulator/rectifier that is advertised as compatible with LI-ION technology will be needed. We have one specifically for the Honda twins: 12V Single Phase Regulator/Rectifier - Sparck Moto

Thanks for the info guys ... I'll be checking out those parts ...
    '75 CB360
    '75 CB500T

Hello Sonreir,

I am finally getting around to building my "under seat" electronics box and wanted to understand the dimensions of the battery I intend to use, so I can make sure the dimensions of the box accommodate the battery … I am planning on using an
    Antigravity Battery AG-801 Lithium 8-Cell … will this battery function well with my '75 CB500T build? Planning to use stock charging system and wiring harness. Will be retrofitting lights to LED.

https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...l-case/ag-801/

Thoughts? Thanks for your assistance ... Bill
    '75 CB360
    '75 CB500T

You'll NEED to get a different rectifier/regulator from Matt..... Use the one he recommends for use with lithium batteries......
    KnucleBusting360 likes this.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

Sorry... been a crazy week and I only just got back to this thread.

+1 on what Steve said. Be sure to upgrade your regulator/rectifier so that the regulated voltage doesn't exceed the safe limit for your battery. LED bulbs are a straight swap (mechanically), but for the electrical portions, you're going to want to use an LED-compatible flasher relay. Diodes on the dashboard indicator light will prevent "crossover" (flashing of all four signals regardless of indicated direction).

We have what you need:
    12V Single Phase Regulator/Rectifier - Sparck Moto

LED Flasher and Diode Pack - Sparck Moto

Thanks for the reply Matt! ... just curious, how different is the harness from the CB360 (I have one) and the CB500T? Could I potentially use your prebuilt harness for the 360 in my 500T?

Thanks Bill
    '75 CB360
    '75 CB500T

The 500T is a weird mix. In wiring terms, it's closest to the 350 because it doesn't use a fuse box, but its starter circuit is more like the 360. My recommendation is to go with one of our 350 harnesses and tweak a couple of things. I'm happy to walk you through the process if you wanted to go that route.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links