Voltage drop when in gear - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Voltage drop when in gear

Steve,

Iíll give you a call when I get back to town and have some time to go through it. Probably Monday or Tuesday. I appreciate you and Jim weighing in. I know you guys are the electrical gurus!

Happy 4th!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought I read somewhere that the bike doesn't charge at all below 1500 rpm. Is it possible that the idle is set >1,500 and when it gets in gear it falls below 1,500 thus creating a discharge situation? That doesn't explain the 18v though I suppose.
    Current: 1982 Honda CM450A "Hondamatic"

Previous:
    2001 Geeley 50cc Scooter (JL50QT-21)
    2004 Roketa 150cc Scooter (MC-30-150)
    2004 Roketa 250cc Scooter (MC-54-250)
    1981 Honda CM400A "Hondamatic"

Voltage drop when in gear

SOLVED:

I really appreciate all your help guys but Iíve figured it out. As you all have very wisely suggested, the neutral switch was the issue. Along with improper connection of the sensing wire of the reg/rec. I accidentally wired the neutral switch wire (green/red stripe wire) to the ground on the reg/rec. I also had the voltage sensing wire running to ground. When the bike was in neutral there was an intact ground for the reg/rec but no sense wire, hence why it would charge excessively in neutral. Once I put the bike in gear the ground was lost to the reg/rec and the battery would discharge. I removed the green/red wire and ran the sense wire appropriately and everything worked as it should. 14.4v steady with the headlight off and 13.3v with the high beam on in neutral or under load.

Thanks again guys for helping me learn how to troubleshoot. Thatís why I love vintage bikes. I may be relatively young at 34 years old but the ability to look at a vintage bike and be able to understand the problem is what I like about vintage bikes to begin with.

If any of you are in town for mid-Ohio this weekend Iíll see you there Sunday.

Last edited by bick54; 07-04-2019 at 04:55 PM.
    Ebuddy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    Sounds to me like the neutral switch is somehow involved in a ground situation that changes when the ground goes away (neutral light goes off)... ...Is it possible you connected the green from the rec/reg to the green w/ red from the neutral switch??
    Quote Originally Posted by bick54 View Post
    As you all have very wisely suggested... ...I accidentally wired the neutral switch wire (green/red stripe wire) to the ground on the reg/rec.
    Try as I might, I can't find mention of the green/red being used as a ground for the rec/reg anywhere else in this thread...
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    Try as I might, I can't find mention of the green/red being used as a ground for the rec/reg anywhere else in this thread...
    You win Sir...I was instantly humbled and truly felt like an idiot when I saw it. I will henceforth check each and every recommended test for noob error that you suggest before I attempt to formulate a semi-coherent response. At least I had the humility to share my idiocy for the enjoyment of the group.

Praise be to the forum for saving my dumb ass once again!

Glad to hear you worked it out. Time to get out and ride!
    Jim Palmer
    '85 GL1200I (Garage Find)
    '81 GL1100 STD (Project)
    CB450 K5 Done
    https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/1-...s-cb450k5.html
    What I learned from Restoring a CB450 K5
    Watch Mike and Jim Take on Mt Erie Washington State
    "If everything seems under control you are not going fast enough" Mario Andretti...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links