Honda Twins banner

Common Motor Collective: Electronic Ignition Beta User Program - CB450/CL450 /CB500T

31K views 244 replies 23 participants last post by  CB360_Germany 
#1 ·
Hey Everybody,

Brenden here from Common Motor Collective. Over the last three years of R&D we have been working on an original electronic ignition system for the Honda CB350, CB360 and CB450 families of bikes. We are happy to announce that our Shockwave electronic ignition system is almost ready for purchase. (fyi our Long Haul Project CB450 ran one for almost 5000 miles)

However, before we can publicly release it, there are always a few bugs to work out. This is precisely where we need your help. We need fellow Honda twin (350 / 360 / 450) owners that have high mechanical and technical understanding to give us feedback on the experience of installing, adjusting and the performance of the system in your personal bikes. We need to make sure our installation instructions are clear for final users and we need to develop a proper troubleshooting guide. Furthermore if we need to make any modifications to the systems components or parts set up, those issues need to be identified in context. At the moment all instructions are in their first draft phase and will need further refinement for the end user, but should be clear enough to let you get the system installed on your bike.

In exchange for your feedback you will be getting first access to the systems at a discount price and extended warranty. We are planning to have the next batch of systems ready for public sale in early Winter 2019. Thus we need you to install the Shockwave and ride you bike ASAP! The sooner we can get good feedback from y’all the more time we have to refine and make necessary changes to the system.

Below is a link to a quick questionnaire to fill out so we know who is participating in the program. Deadline for completion is Friday November 16, 2018.

-Shockwave Electronic Ignition Beta User Program Application-

If selected you will be notified directly via email and given further instructions.

Feel free to share this link with a friend that also may be a good fit for the beta test program as well. If this needs to be moved to a different section of the forum would a moderator please do so, thanks.

I know there will be lots of questions out there about the system, however we will address them in the near future. At this time we will not be able to answer any questions on this thread or direct questions about the Shockwave via our website contact forms (phone and text too). More information will be released soon via our newsletter, our social media and here on the forum.

Thanks again for your support and willingness to participate in this program. It is our ongoing mission to support the owners of vintage Honda Motorcycles and continue to develop the best parts and information necessary to keep these bikes on the road for many miles to come.

Brenden Macaluso (Zephyrking)
Director / Lead Designer Common Motor Collective

See less See more
#6 ·
but the application link mentions the price, doesn't it?

"Pricing

The estimated retail price of the final production Shockwave ignition system (regardless of bike model) is $200.00* USD with a 12 month warranty from the date of purchase. However, in exchange for the feedback and documentation of the beta systems, we are offering this first batch of Shockwave ignition systems at a discounted price of $130* and an extended warranty of 18 months. "

#7 ·
I probably wouldn't be riding mine enough to suit their needs, the little red monster (as my wife calls it) only goes out once or twice a week - and my business has been beyond slow the last couple months, can't afford $130 for a replacement for fully-functioning points anyway

#9 ·
76twin.. Pamco is the only e-advance that I know confirmed. However, I have "read" Boyer Branson and other manufactures (Trispark, Sparx,) make one..for Triumphs, BSA, and Norton.. not sure if they have touched the Honda market.. I'm all actuality, I'm not sure why they havnt? I would say possibly due to the "poor" charging systems on vintage hondas.. HOWEVER, the English systems had to be done of THE WORST!!
Lucas wasn't given the title "Prince of Darkness" for no reason..

#10 ·
Done. Really want to test this system out. I was extremely disappointed with the "quality" of the Pamco system. E-advance isn't worth diddly to me if the wiring going to the circuit boards is completely fried after only 2 rides. [emoji19]. Hopefully CMC uses appropriate gauge wiring with insulation that is actually heat resistant. I've seen more robust wiring inside of my old 2006 HP laptop than what the Pamco unit used for wires that rest directly on the cylinder head of an air-cooled engine. [emoji21]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

#11 · (Edited)
Dad.. how did I know you were gonna "like" this..:)..
Yes, no doubt the Pamco could use improvements, but as CMC has asked "what is your charging system like"...basically.. don't add new electronics to old charging systems..be it Pamco, Charlie's, dyna, or CMC...
To quote a tv show judge .."it will kill....."

#12 ·
Dad.. how did I know you were gonna "like" this..:)..
Yes, no doubt the Pamco could use improvements, but as CMC has asked "what is your charging system like"...basically.. don't add new electronics to old charging systems..be it Pamco, Charlie's, dyna, or CMC...
To quote a bad show judge .."it will kill....."
yup - and I can absolutely see it being a problem with too big a voltage variation or too high voltage, but it's just an example of the limitations of what's currently available. For me, it's about the total trust I can put into my ignition getting me home, old school tried and true. Hey, I'd sign up for it but I don't ride mine nearly enough for their needs and I'm just not paying $130 of hard to come by money right now for something unproven and about the same price as stuff already out there

#15 ·
Yeah I hear you on that. And that voltage variation is exactly why I didn't end up getting a Ballistic LiPo like I have done with several previous (more modern) bikes. After speaking with the helpful guys over at Ballistic Performance, we both came to the agreement that the variation in voltage would be too risky for a LiPo and could possibly result in damaged cells or worse, and that a "plain old" AGM was probably my best bet. (Basically I just hated the old fashioned "wet" batteries and the obnoxious vent tube that drips acid all over the frame and battery box all the time. [emoji21])

#16 ·
Yeah I hear you on that. And that voltage variation is exactly why I didn't end up getting a Ballistic LiPo like I have done with several previous (more modern) bikes. After speaking with the helpful guys over at Ballistic Performance, we both came to the agreement that the variation in voltage would be too risky for a LiPo and could possibly result in damaged cells or worse, and that a "plain old" AGM was probably my best bet. (Basically I just hated the old fashioned "wet" batteries and the obnoxious vent tube that drips acid all over the frame and battery box all the time. [emoji21])
I guess you haven't looked at my 450 build thread, I'm running a 4ah lithium battery with an Oregon Cycle reg/rec combo and no electric start, and every bulb is an LED except for my neutral light (preference). My battery is 2 years old and hasn't had any problems. It runs around 14.5 to 14.6 volts max. that's not my reason for not going with EI

#21 ·
Diesel.. well no one can't say you didn't do Your due Dilligence in giving that Pamco every opportunity to work properly ... since I "swapped" the 450s on my wife.. I'm gonna remove the Pamco, reinstall the points on that bike so I can learn that system better..
Not gonna ditch the EI just yet.. I may install it on her current bike... but it is running WAY to good to mess with... YES, it's running points..

#23 ·
Sorry to hear of the problems, been running PAMCO's for several years and haven't touched them since they were set.

I put the initial non e advanced ones on in 2012 and switched to e advanced ones in 2014.

#25 ·
^^^^+1... I just hate the "it's crap, I installed it and it died in a week" threads.. the system may have failed..BUT WHY DID IT FAIL!. Diesel's situation is EASY for me to accept.. others where "I replaced my battery and headlight after they blewup.. but my EI is a POS because now I can't get spark".. makes me want to suck start my gun...

#31 ·
First snow of the year here in Chadds Ford, PA. Currently 32°F and still coming down pretty heavy. And my garage is not climate controlled and has a bare concrete floor [emoji21]. Brewing sounds like a great activity for a day like today, and weather like this...

#33 ·
Unfortunitly, CMC is a bit "behind the eightball" with this system. I know it is stillcin the beta phase.. but if I were developing a "new" EI, I would learn from everyone else's mistakes. See what the market is wanting, and improve upon a competitors product
There are a lot of EIs utilizing the factory mechanical advance, to include a DIY capacitor multi spark...
I would like to see a EI with the circuit board encased in a epoxy that is moisture, and vibration resistant that dissipates heat....along with a fuse / breaker / voltage regulator to keep it from getting cooked...
Oh, and maybe a "limp mode".. that will keep it firing so you don't get stranded if it did ever go tits up...
Hey, one can dream.. and while I'm dreaming..,make it all fit inside the points compartement..

#34 ·
I would like to see a EI with the circuit board encased in a epoxy that is moisture, and vibration resistant that dissipates heat...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that how the Charlies Place ignition is set up? I had considered that kit before my Pamco but the price is a tad ridiculous, especially considering it retains the mechanical advancer...

#36 · (Edited)
Not sure about Charlie's place and the potting.. but the e-advance is what sold me on the Pamco. I also have a e-advance EI on my 650 Triumph (Sparx).. it is also "Hall effect". Come to think about it, the "brain" box looks like a new R/R, black, epoxy filled with "ribs" to disapate heat.. and it is mounted to a hard tail ridgid frame..
Tri-Spark is the only small, e-advance, EI that fits in the points housing..
HOWEVER.. if memory serves me.. it is also priced close to $500

WOW!!! It has dropped in price!! Product Technology Audio equipment Electronic device Pedometer

#39 ·
Yeah ya know what? I've been thinking about this more and I think I'm going to opt out on this testing.
$130 a bit much to ask for my time and effort to help THEM test their product. That would probably include me documenting all my steps of installing/troubleshooting, taking photos, drawing diagrams as needed as well as providing regular reports of the product.

I used to do beta testing for other companies and they actually sent me the products for free. Some even paid me for my time.

#40 ·
Whoa, hold the phone. $130? Why was I just charged $180??! I'm gonna need some answers here Brenden! I've been a big supporter of your site and have gotten many many parts from you guys over the years. And as 76Twin mentioned *WE* are the ones doing the beta testing, why did I just pay nearly the same price as a Pamco for an untested system?

I may have to cancel my order if there are people who were only charged $130 for the same kit I just got. [emoji52]

#44 ·
Yeah 76Twin that's what I had read earlier in the thread also. I going to attempt to contact CMC and figure out what's going on.Understandable point of view, however I have been searching for a decent EI system for a while as the supply of decent quality points is dwindling rapidly and all that seems to be left are cheap Chinese copys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.