CL450 K5 Crankshaft Bearing Race Removal Issue
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By tbpmusic
  • 2 Post By David Babbitt

Thread: CL450 K5 Crankshaft Bearing Race Removal Issue

I can't get one of the inner main bearing races off of the crankshaft. It won't fully spin, only spins slightly forward and back. Any ideas on how to get it off without damage? Am I screwed and need to get a new crank? Thoughts?

Video/Photo Below
    Last edited by ken hooligan; 10-21-2019 at 07:07 PM.

Ken, one of my first thoughts would be: are you rebuilding the factory-pressed-together crankshaft? That's the only reason I can think of to cause the need to remove an outer race from one of the main bearings. We need more info here, and pictures always help as well.

First, please go here and read info on the forum itself, then go here and post an introduction for us so we can get to know you better.
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time
    Budget drag bike project
    CB350K1 full patina project
    Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    Ken, one of my first thoughts would be: are you rebuilding the factory-pressed-together crankshaft? That's the only reason I can think of to cause the need to remove an outer race from one of the main bearings. We need more info here, and pictures always help as well.

First, please go here and read info on the forum itself, then go here and post an introduction for us so we can get to know you better.
    Sorry I didn't introduce myself, my intro is at: https://www.hondatwins.net/forums/23...cramblers.html

I've been poking around on your street drag project, awesome build!

Crank is from bike 2, motor was a rusty mess but seems to have cleaned up OK so far. I need to remove because I'd like to inspect as it wont spin and I think it should if not mistaken. I can post a photo of the crank tonight.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for the kind words on my build. I saw your introduction, thanks.

Of course, all the outer races on the crank should turn... but if the engine was rusty inside and one of the outer races won't turn (or a full turn), there's undoubtedly rust on the roller bearings inside the cage. It may or may not be usable. These cranks are pressed together at the factory and though they are serviceable, it takes a mighty press and proper knowledge to do it and few bother. There are still good used 5 speed cranks out there but they are slowly disappearing. If you watch eBay you can often find complete bottom ends for about the same money you'd pay for a good used crank.

If you aren't familiar with this engine, it is pretty unique in Honda's vintage lineup. The biggest issue with this engine is slow oil flow to the top end when started cold from overnight, and there is no puddled or contained oil under the cams and followers to help keep them lubed until oil flow gets there (which takes 1 to 2 full minutes, during which you should keep the revs as low as possible to avoid running through the film of oil left behind). Also, always turn off the petcock when you turn off the key - these carbs can seep fuel past the float needles into the intake ports, down past an open valve and into the bottom end diluting the oil and causing ruin to top end parts if ridden that way
    Tom

CL450 project reboot, street legal this time
    Budget drag bike project
    CB350K1 full patina project
    Ride along at the drag strip

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Video of the issue:

[youtube]JKy5hvA9p0E[/youtube]

Photo:
    CL450 K5 Crankshaft Bearing Race Removal Issue-20191021_191859_1571702618068.jpg
    Last edited by ken hooligan; 10-31-2019 at 12:54 PM.

Figured it out, soaked in evaporust and took off the clip on the outer bearing and the stuck inner race slid off, not sure how/if the outer clip made a difference but glad to get it off, it was quite crudded up inside.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CL450 K5 Crankshaft Bearing Race Removal Issue-20191114_161938_1573782493950.jpg  

When it's time to put it back together, this short video should help fight gravity.....

Bill H likes this.
    Bill Lane
    Honda Twins Founding Member

No advice, just info

'75 CB200T, '71 CB450 K4 Half-Breed, '72 CL350 (Sold), '81 CM200T, '72 C70M
    and a little red Chineeze scooter

http://www.bikeexif.com/honda-cb450-restoration

Supporting Member David Babbitt's Avatar
    Seeing what you did will stay in my head longer than if you had written it up.
    ancientdad and Bill H like this.

Sponsored Links