CB500T Starter Sprocket Bearings?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ancientdad

Thread: CB500T Starter Sprocket Bearings?

CB500T Starter Sprocket Bearings?

Hello All ...

I have been washing parts and reassembling my engine as of late and finally got around to the rotor assembly tonight ... on the 500T, the starter sprocket as roller bearings in it (Honda Part # 28110375000) Here is the CMSL link - https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb500t-u.../#.XVoLXOhKiUk

The bearings had come out of my starter sprocket and, at the time when I bagged it up, I just thought I would eventually clean them and put them back in the sprocket ... now I'm not so sure I can do that ... first, some of the bearings are mangled and second, I don't think I would have enough of them to fill the race inside the sprocket anyway ...

My question is, can I buy those roller bearings anywhere and is there a special "housing" that keeps the bearings in place?

Any help would be appreciated ... Thanks Bill
    '75 CB360
    '75 CB500T

Never worked on a 500t but it looks the same as a cb 77. Not a big deal to replace the rollers. I would buy rollers, Part number 91101-377-000 3 each, spring, part number 28125-283-010 3 each and cap, part number, 28126-292-000 3 each. Clean up the outer clutch and put it back together. Make sure they are retracted when putting back on the crank.

Bill

Bill, he's actually talking about the rollers inside the sprocket for the starter clutch - different than the 450 version for some reason. Not sure why they did it, but I'm guessing the 450 starter clutch sprocket might work instead... they never had roller bearings in them but lasted almost forever anyway

CB500T Starter Sprocket Bearings?-500tstartersprocket.jpg
    Bill H likes this.
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Hey Guys, yes, Tom is right, here is what I am talking about more specifically ... I'm not sure how those bearings are seated in there ... whether they are are just held in with grease, or is that a "caged bearing set"? It's really expensive to replace the whole sprocket ...

CB500T Starter Sprocket Bearings?-cb500t-starting-sprocket.jpg

It would be great if I could get away with the 450 version ...

Also ... I may eliminate the starter motor, so this could be moot anyway ... I just wonder if I "need" the starter sprocket in order for the rotor to fit properly?

Any thoughts would be appreciated ... Thanks Bill
    '75 CB360
    '75 CB500T

No, you don't need the sprocket - if you remove the rotor and remove the starter clutch housing from the back of the rotor, you effectively remove the rest of the electric start mechanism after you remove the starter motor itself. My 450 is kick only and all of that stuff is gone, just a bare alternator rotor spinning in the housing for the alternator to work. It looks like needles in a cage from the pictures of the 500T sprocket. Never worked on a 500T but they are just a stroked version of the 450 engine, so it would seem the rotor end of the crankshaft would be the same... can't confirm though. You should be able to find a used starter clutch sprocket for a 450 to try - just saw one on eBay but it was $50, a little pricey for a test idea. Here's the part number - 28110-292-000
    Tom

Thanks Tom ... I appreciate the advice! Bill
    '75 CB360
    '75 CB500T

Hey Tom ...

Just for clarification, are these the parts you mention that I should eliminate from the rotor if I decide to run w/out the starter motor?

CB500T Starter Sprocket Bearings?-rotor-parts.jpg

Thanks again ... Bill
    '75 CB360
    '75 CB500T

Correct - the bare rotor is all you need if you're going kick only. Also, SpeedMotoCo makes a nice machined aluminum starter hole plug that comes with an o-ring seal, I put one in mine (but use a little Hondabond on the o-ring, mine seeped a tiny bit of oil). It looks great, and far better than the usual offering like CMC and others, which is nothing more than a universal automotive rubber freeze plug with a nut to tighten in the center to expand it in the hole... cheesy, and if that's the way you want to go you can get it for 80% less here
    Last edited by ancientdad; 08-19-2019 at 02:35 PM.
    Tom

I just got lucky and found the sprocket on eBay (with some other parts) for $30!
    '75 CB360
    '75 CB500T

Good - better to keep the electric start anyway when you have a stock-sized battery.
    Tom

Sponsored Links