CB450 pressure plate
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: CB450 pressure plate

CB450 pressure plate

Would over torquing the pressure plate bolts cause the clutch to not fully disengage?

No, you can only tighten the bolts down to where the washer is sitting flush atop the spring guide column..... Over-torquing COULD cause sheared bolts or columns.....
    The usual error in reassembly is the inner basket splining is not correctly aligned with the matching splining on the inner side of the pressure plate, causing the clutch to fail to engage......
    Disengaged is a "neutral condition" when the engine does NOT drive the countershaft.....Engaged allows you to be propelled forwards......
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

The other possible error in assembly is putting the odd steel plate in backwards, or not first in the basket.
    Rick

Mine is a mostly 1970 CB450K3

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Right, When I pull in the clutch the wheel does not free wheel. I went through all of the methods of clutch adjustment and still no good. If I have clutch plates stuck together would that do it?

Yes, if they are stuck with dried oil it won't release....However, remember that you are still spinning the transmission gears regardless of clutch engagement or not, so there will be SOME drag.....
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 05-09-2019 at 01:28 PM.
    "I have a mind like a steel trap.....Old and rusty, of antiquated design, and hard to get stuff back out of...."
    Contact info: E-mail; [email protected] Phone; 540-525-5199

Thanks. I think Ill put it in 1st with the clutch pulled in and try rocking it back and forth. This thing has been sitting for a lot of years and I really don't want to pull the case off again.

Put in on the center stand. Run it in gear pull the clutch and hit the brake. Done this many times to free a stuck clutch

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Thanks that worked great. However was still having major shifting issues in the upper gears. So I put it in a small one man old school shop and a few days later he called and told me all fixed.
    Turns out the clutch cable is to long and was not run right ,so it had a slight kink in it. Now all that's left is to balance the carbs and get it to idle.

Omg, thanks for the update! That dude did awesome detective work!

I tore the carbs apart, cleaned them in an ultrasonic cleaner put in new jets, made sure the floats were adjusted and did a bench balance. Put them back on and made sure they both opened and closed at the same time. Still the same issue. I can get it to idle and purr like a kitten at 11-1200. Then when I take it to about 6K or 7k and back off to idle it slowly goes back down to about 1200 then up to 3K and stays there. What the heck is that all about? Both sides run great. Any ideas?
    Last edited by 66Sprint; 05-26-2019 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Changed 12K to 1200 RPM....Twice....LOL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links