finally got to put some miles on, with a few issues... - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I live in Franklin and we usually take Wayah road across or go 28 north towards Bryson City and go through the Gorge to Robinsville. I put a 145 main in and have a 150 spare. I think I have the float level right on. I'll put the mixture screw back to 1 1/2 out and try it again.

Wayah is one of my favorite roads there; a lot of guys miss it, though (is that good or bad?)
    A good run in any direction and back, then check your plugs. It should show where you are, mixture wise. Just don't let it idle very long before checking them; maybe be in a lower gear for the last mile or two.
    Rick

Mine is a mostly 1970 CB450K3

Ok thanks for the heads up.It will get colder and windy for a few days but after that should be nice enough to put some miles on.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

I went for a short ride and was going into town to top off with the non-ethanol premium and saw a friend at local weld shop so I stopped. He was working on a compressor and needed something from Ace so I volunteered to be the go for. Got the wrong fitting so I went back probably only put 10 miles at the most on the bike when I got back to the shop someone said "looks like you have an oil leak" I'm like OH S$&#. Sure enough left side on the head fins, it was on the side stand. I took it home looking at it but couldn't tell where it might have been coming from. I was thinking the worst. I looked on here and seen oil leak behind points, I didn't think it was head gasket it ran so well. I took engine de-greaser then blasted it off with the hose then took Dawn dish soap and water mix and a brush and scrubbed it good with another rinse and blow dried it with my leaf blower. I took the tank off for a better look, I'm glad I did the re-route of the cross over line makes it so much easier, I'll put it back to normal after I have it all sorted out ,maybe. The breather tube had come loose and I'm hoping that is where to oil was coming from. Now I put that line on with one of them pinch expand clamps after I adjusted the valves and it didn't last 100 miles. It now has a regular hose clamp. It was routed to the ground by the swing arm but I cut about 6" off and routed it to just over the drive chain. Seems like I read that on here somewhere. Still fiddling with the idle mix screw it is now at 1 1/4 out. Well I start it to look for oil leaking and the right exhaust is smoking on start up, last couple times it has after it warms not so much. I let it run for a while till it was good and warm reving it a bit and no oil leak that I could see. I'll take it for a ride top it off like I was going to do the other day and see if the oil shows up again, I sure hope not.
    1972 CB450 K5

As to the vent hose routing, make sure it isn't pinched or kinked anywhere along its length. I had mine down the left rear of the engine, which pinched it just a bit, maybe less than half obstructed. Running at high rpm blew out the clutch lifter rod seal - think you lost some oil! I moved it to the right rear of the engine, and no kinks or pinch points.
    Rick

Well that suk's. Would not fire on right cyl, plug gas wet and sooted up. I guess I'll have to get back into the carbs. I am going to compression check again too. The carbs are 723A they had 145 mains, one was stock K and the other after market and two different idle mixture screws one steel and one brass. I put in the 150 mains from the kit and I have all the other stock jets I took out. It was said the the higher altitude requires smaller main, slow also? I will see if I can come up with stock 140 mains and put the old stock jets back in after a good cleaning and recheck the float level. I mean what else.
    1972 CB450 K5

Quote Originally Posted by WintrSol View Post
    As to the vent hose routing, make sure it isn't pinched or kinked anywhere along its length. I had mine down the left rear of the engine, which pinched it just a bit, maybe less than half obstructed. Running at high rpm blew out the clutch lifter rod seal - think you lost some oil! I moved it to the right rear of the engine, and no kinks or pinch points.
    I will double check but it looked good to me, least of my worry's for now. Double checked routing, no kink. Compression check, 130 each side. Both plugs out motor barely warm to the touch throttle WO. Perhaps a little low compared to maybe a fresh top end job but I would think plenty good, no?
    Last edited by CB450MWL; 03-26-2019 at 10:57 AM.
    1972 CB450 K5

Mis-diagnosis, not carb, when I had the tank off to put the breather tube back on I accidentally knocked the black coil wire out of the connector. I bought some of those connectors as the originals just don't seem to be very tight even after pinching them together a little. Left cylinder not firing, I had the plug out to see that it was wet I should have grounded it and turned it over to find it was not firing. I am going to try adjusting mixture screw to get high idle per cylinder as is suggested. Got something to do the rest of the day but tomorrow is supposed to be nice, hopefully get a hundred miles in. Better keep it local though.
    1972 CB450 K5

More woes with the, what I'm starting to call the "Black Witch". I'm hoping she will become the Black Beauty. Any way after securing the breather hose and plugging the coil wire back in she started right up yesterday. Today I'm getting ready for a ride, battery is low and won't crank. I bought a replacement a while ago and have been keeping it on a battery tender so I swapped them out. I had got some NGK plugs the other day they did not have the B8ES but so I got BR8ES and a set of BR7ES. I put the 7's in and thought I'd try them. I went about 10 miles to the non-ethanol gas topped off and looked at the plugs which were too light for my liking so I put the 8's in. Oh also it seemed to be popping through the left exhaust especially as you were decelerating. I reset the mixture screws to 1 1/2 out and went for the same ride I went on about two weeks ago. It ran good till I started going up the Mountain grade and it would not pull very good. There is a turn off about 1/2 way up so I pulled in and I noticed oil again on the left side head fins. I decided to just turn around and go home, about 1/2 way back down, spit sputter bog then dies. So I get on the paved shoulder with the clutch in and coast to the bottom and have to push it about 100 yards to a park and ride lot. There is quite a bit of oil and I can't exactly tell where from and I wasn't sure that the coil wire might have wiggled loose either. I remove the tank, I'm getting to really like the crossover re-route. No loose connections that I can tell. I pull the points cover and it's soaked with oil in there. I remove the points plate and try to clean it the best I can with my shirt sleeve and a McD's bag that was the only paper I could find, except the dollar bill I used to clean the points contacts. I also pulled the plugs and turned it over just to make sure I hadn't lost compression some how. I put it all back together and it started and ran the 14 -15 miles back home. I'm guessing there is a seal or O ring on the shaft that the points rotor spins on that must be bad.
    1972 CB450 K5

There is an oil seal that goes on the shaft behind the advancer, 18 x 28 x 6. It may be possible to replace without pulling the housing (point base), if you can hook it out. That's one I've never tried.
    Rick

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links