CB350K3 Lives Again!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 68Ford
  • 1 Post By ancientdad

Thread: CB350K3 Lives Again!

CB350K3 Lives Again!

Hello all,

First off let me say thank you to all of you for the help you've provided while I have been working on this bike. I haven't asked very many questions, but I have done a ton of searching and reading on the forum whenever I had a question. The backlog of information on here is awesome, and I have managed to avoid making a lot of the mistakes that other have (Don't worry, I made plenty of my own!) I just wanted to share a milestone with all of you. If you're anything like me you like pictures and videos.

Today I took it for it's first 'real' ride on the road. It also happened to be my first 'real' ride too! I've ridden up and down the road quite a few times, both for testing and to learn, and I successfully completed the basic rider course, so I have enough knowledge to ride somewhat safely. I didn't go too far, only about 20 miles round trip, mostly because I'm a new rider, the bike is still pretty untested, and it isn't registered yet. My sister should be taking care of the registration soon though, and then we can start putting some real miles on it.

I was super happy to just get it on the road after it sat for so many years, it's great to see this old machine come back to life.

Anyway, here's some pictures and a video of it running after I got the carbs balanced. Still a slight pop out of the pipes after a very quick and hard rev, but I am very happy with where it's at right now. I still have to put the airbox covers back on, I've just left them off for now in case I have to pull the carbs for some reason. The fewer times I have to push and pull those little plastic tabs through the hard rubber grommets the happier I will be.

Thanks again!

Link to video:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CB350K3 Lives Again!-img_20190816_110129.jpg  

Great story, the bike looks great and we're happy for you that it's running well... and yes, we do like pictures, just as much as you do - but it's a shame you didn't take more of them along the way and post them in a project log so we could have followed along with your success. Just be sure you don't do that again...
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Nice bike. If you have not yet replaced those rubber grommets, you really need to do so. Even then, I would never install or remove the side covers without applying rubber lube generously on each one. I like P-80 Lube. A pint of it is a lifetime supply for most of us. If you can't find that, a little spritz of WD40 would work.

Enjoy your ride. 350 Hondas are great little bikes.
    It's hard to have too many motorcycles, but easy to have too many batteries and tires.

1971 CL350K3
    1970 CB450K3
    Plus a few non-Hondas

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    Great story, the bike looks great and we're happy for you that it's running well... and yes, we do like pictures, just as much as you do - but it's a shame you didn't take more of them along the way and post them in a project log so we could have followed along with your success. Just be sure you don't do that again...
    I have many more pictures, most of them were just reference pictures so we could reassemble everything correctly. I am planning on going back and doing a project log at some point, I just haven't had the time. Maybe that will be a weekend project for me. I'm a transplant from the old car world (hence the username), so 'finishing' a project in a few months for under $1,000.00 is still kind of blowing my mind, almost didn't seem like it was deserving of a project log to me. Maybe I just need to adjust to a different world, or maybe I just need to consider myself lucky that I had a great example to start with from a PO who did enough maintenance to keep things in good shape.

Quote Originally Posted by fxray View Post
    Nice bike. If you have not yet replaced those rubber grommets, you really need to do so. Even then, I would never install or remove the side covers without applying rubber lube generously on each one. I like P-80 Lube. A pint of it is a lifetime supply for most of us. If you can't find that, a little spritz of WD40 would work.

Enjoy your ride. 350 Hondas are great little bikes.
    Thank you, it's still rough around the edges, but I can't bring myself to repaint and make it perfect. I like it with a bit of rust and a few scratches here and there. It lets you know that the bike had lived a little. It's especially cool because I know the PO very well, and he can tell the story behind nearly every single blemish on the bike.

Thanks for the tip on the grommets, I hadn't even considered that replacements were available from Honda. I ordered a set of genuine Honda ones from 4into1 right before typing this out. New lubed grommets will make me feel a lot better, I cringed the whole time taking those covers off, one wrong move and those little mounting tabs would have busted right off.
    fxray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 68Ford View Post
    I have many more pictures, most of them were just reference pictures so we could reassemble everything correctly. I am planning on going back and doing a project log at some point, I just haven't had the time. Maybe that will be a weekend project for me. I'm a transplant from the old car world (hence the username), so 'finishing' a project in a few months for under $1,000.00 is still kind of blowing my mind, almost didn't seem like it was deserving of a project log to me. Maybe I just need to adjust to a different world, or maybe I just need to consider myself lucky that I had a great example to start with from a PO who did enough maintenance to keep things in good shape.
    I hear you - but that's the thing about this forum, we like to go along for the ride. We often encounter new members who are also new to vintage bikes and as such, we know that there are often a ton of things they're unfamiliar with... it's a different world with these old Hondas and even longtime riders of another brand they've done some of their own work on (Harleys, for example) are many times surprised at some of the differences in design and the idiosyncrasies of vintage Hondas. the beauty of this forum is there are many former Honda techs here, many of which worked in the industry when these bikes were new - so it isn't necessarily hand-me-down info you get, it's first-hand info from someone who saw them from the time they were new and knows many little inside bits of info that the general public often never heard. Seeing step-by-step pictures can help us often see stuff that might go unrecognized by the average new owner, and we like to help someone avoid having to repair something later if it could have been taken care of during the first disassembly... of course, it helps to be a receptive poster too - acknowledging advice and responding as to whether or not you understand it goes a long way as well. That said, looking forward to seeing the additional pictures when you can post them
    Tom

Nice looking bike, good on you for getting her going.
    "If it ain't raining, I'm riding......"

Work in process:::::::

I hear you - but that's the thing about this forum, we like to go along for the ride. We often encounter new members who are also new to vintage bikes and as such, we know that there are often a ton of things they're unfamiliar with... it's a different world with these old Hondas and even longtime riders of another brand they've done some of their own work on (Harleys, for example) are many times surprised at some of the differences in design and the idiosyncrasies of vintage Hondas. the beauty of this forum is there are many former Honda techs here, many of which worked in the industry when these bikes were new - so it isn't necessarily hand-me-down info you get, it's first-hand info from someone who saw them from the time they were new and knows many little inside bits of info that the general public often never heard. Seeing step-by-step pictures can help us often see stuff that might go unrecognized by the average new owner, and we like to help someone avoid having to repair something later if it could have been taken care of during the first disassembly... of course, it helps to be a receptive poster too - acknowledging advice and responding as to whether or not you understand it goes a long way as well.
    That's a good quote, maybe add it to the new members, before you post, thread?

Sorry for the hijack, Nice work there '63!
    CB250 Nighthawk projects 92,93,92.
    81 CM400C Sold
    93 CB750 Nighthawk Sold
    73 CB750K3 Long term project stuck in the 'parts collecting stage.'
    Fork Swap info: http://sites.google.com/site/alansdocuments/

Quote Originally Posted by Alan F. View Post
    That's a good quote, maybe add it to the new members, before you post, thread?
    that's a good idea Alan, thanks... now if only more noobs would actually find it and read it in advance. Close to a year ago I suggested to the Admins that they create a modification in the sign-up procedure that takes someone directly to the Introduction area after signing up, and before it would allow them to post anything else. They said it was a great idea but they didn't have time to do it then... or since, apparently
    Alan F. likes this.
    Tom

I hear you - but that's the thing about this forum, we like to go along for the ride. We often encounter new members who are also new to vintage bikes and as such, we know that there are often a ton of things they're unfamiliar with... it's a different world with these old Hondas and even longtime riders of another brand they've done some of their own work on (Harleys, for example) are many times surprised at some of the differences in design and the idiosyncrasies of vintage Hondas. the beauty of this forum is there are many former Honda techs here, many of which worked in the industry when these bikes were new - so it isn't necessarily hand-me-down info you get, it's first-hand info from someone who saw them from the time they were new and knows many little inside bits of info that the general public often never heard. Seeing step-by-step pictures can help us often see stuff that might go unrecognized by the average new owner, and we like to help someone avoid having to repair something later if it could have been taken care of during the first disassembly... of course, it helps to be a receptive poster too - acknowledging advice and responding as to whether or not you understand it goes a long way as well. That said, looking forward to seeing the additional pictures when you can post them
    Interesting, I never really thought of it that way. I've always just searched for my specific question and found it after a bit of reading and looking, never read through a project log in search of a specific question. I'll definitely make one now. It won't be any new information because we really didn't have to do much to this bike, but it could still be valuable, and if nothing else having it documented would be fun. For the record I did actually read the "Before you post" thread and made an intro thread before I jumped right in and started asking questions. Guess I got some of the steps at least!

Quote Originally Posted by budlite282 View Post
    Nice looking bike, good on you for getting her going.
    Thank you! It's been really fun, and being able to ride it and watch it pull right up to 7k is pretty fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan F. View Post
    Sorry for the hijack, Nice work there '63!
    No worries, it was a good point to bring up. It convinced me to go put together a project log anyway. Also thank you!
    First Car: 1968 Mustang
    First Bike: 1971 CB350K3

Interesting, I never really thought of it that way. I've always just searched for my specific question and found it after a bit of reading and looking, never read through a project log in search of a specific question. I'll definitely make one now. It won't be any new information because we really didn't have to do much to this bike, but it could still be valuable, and if nothing else having it documented would be fun. For the record I did actually read the "Before you post" thread and made an intro thread before I jumped right in and started asking questions. Guess I got some of the steps at least!
    Glad you read the "before you post" memo, so many don't look around here before they join and jump in. As for project logs... you'd be amazed at what can be learned just by watching what others encounter - whether or not it was a problem for them - during a teardown and rebuild, and the more exposure the disassembled parts get in the forum, the more people who are less experienced will get to see it. And every thread stays up forever, so no matter how simple or complex your situation is/was, it's always there to refer back to... for the masses, many of whom come here to learn.

Thank you! It's been really fun, and being able to ride it and watch it pull right up to 7k is pretty fun.
    Your engine is just getting into its own at 7000 rpm... the redline is not to be afraid of, these engines love to rev. My 450 goes 1000 rpm or more past stock redline with the cams it has in it, and it loves doing it time after time
    Tom

Sponsored Links