VIN question
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: VIN question

VIN question

Hey guys,

I've been curious for awhile. Do 12 digit VIN #'s only indicate [model - Series/production number] on a cb350?
    or are there a few numbers in there that say the color it came with? I always assumed it wasn't like a car's fender tag where you could "decode" the original options, but realized I'm not 100% on that...
    2x 1973 CB350G

The only thing that VIN will tell you is the model and what number it came off the line.
    TOOLS

Quote Originally Posted by TOOLS1 View Post
    The only thing that VIN will tell you is the model and what number it came off the line.
    TOOLS
    Thanks dude! That's what I kinda figured. It would be fun to get to do what the muscle car guys do and restore it exactly how it came out of the dealer. It even would be cool to find out which dealer it was bought at and get the dealership's license plate frame and everything...
    2x 1973 CB350G

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaTwins.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyPlayhouse View Post
    It even would be cool to find out which dealer it was bought at and get the dealership's license plate frame and everything...
    That would be cool. These things were sold so long ago and pretty much all those dealers are gone now, and Honda didn't share nearly as much info with the public and Detroit did with respect to all the component info, so it's almost impossible to do that unfortunately... but you could do a little research with the PO if they knew anything and might get a little lucky, then just fake the rest if you knew a dealer name from the area where it might have been sold originally... like for me, one of the 5 different Honda dealers that were in Tampa over the period of a couple decades back in the late '60s to late '70s (easy for me to remember, I worked for all of them at one time or another over that period ). My buddy took a small bike (Cub, IIRC) to Barber last year to sell and it was originally from our area

VIN question-hoclw.jpg
    Tom

Ride along at the drag strip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20jFPazXlvU

running points... because I'm too old for mysteries that begin with pushing

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    That would be cool. These things were sold so long ago and pretty much all those dealers are gone now, and Honda didn't share nearly as much info with the public and Detroit did with respect to all the component info, so it's almost impossible to do that unfortunately... but you could do a little research with the PO if they knew anything and might get a little lucky, then just fake the rest if you knew a dealer name from the area where it might have been sold originally... like for me, one of the 5 different Honda dealers that were in Tampa over the period of a couple decades back in the late '60s to late '70s (easy for me to remember, I worked for all of them at one time or another over that period ). My buddy took a small bike (Cub, IIRC) to Barber last year to sell and it was originally from our area

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HOClw.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	206.3 KB 
ID:	286038
    Well, on one of my bikes I think I might be able to ask. Might be worth a shot! I'll have to rake through the emails. I think I'm one of few owners of it; same lady had it her whole adult life, I believe, until it 24xxx then it became mine. Pretty cool work history you got there! I love those old dealer decals, they're neat.

You safe from the storm action where you're at?
    2x 1973 CB350G

Yeah, this one is heading northwest of us. Poor Louisiana is already near flood stage and now this is heading their way... fortunately it (probably) won't be a hurricane when it gets there, but they're at the point where a few spilled drinks in the street would be practically all it takes to breach a levee. Hey, my "tours" through the dealership service departments were short each time, a year or less - I was a kid, after all, and though I did quality work and had few comebacks, they all wanted speed and that's never been me - but it was a great learning experience and I knew a lot of people in the business for a long time as a result, which helped both me and my Dad for a couple decades. The best thing to come out of it (beyond all the stuff I learned) was knowing the owner of Honda Village in North Tampa who eventually closed the franchise after 10 years (never knew why) and he and a partner bought a huge salvage yard that my Dad did a ton of paint work and frame/fork tube straightening for... for about 5 years, I had first dibs on any choice total wreck the guy got, by way of my Dad. That's how I got my first CBX in trade for a '78 CB750K8 turned F (changed tank and seat, added a Kerker 4-1) that I had $800 in plus $400 cash - with 4000 miles on it. Best totaled bike I ever owned

this
    VIN question-78-cb-f750-w-spoiler.jpg

for this (obviously repaired/finished, no before pictures in those film only days)
    VIN question-scan0116.jpg
    BobbyPlayhouse likes this.
    Tom

That is a hell of a deal! That exhaust and crash bar really complete the look of the bike. I always thought the 750f's were underrated classics, aesthetically. +1 for having a cool dad that's a motor head. The advantages are endless...
    2x 1973 CB350G

Well, had a gearhead Dad... he passed at almost 88 in February of 2016. And yes, the advantages were tremendous - anything I wanted painted, regardless how I wanted it, he always did for me. Sometimes, like the 750K turned F, I'd just hand the stuff to him and say "just do something cool" - done. He was a master at paint and body, flawless work that always looked as good as factory. Never got to see my 450 build. Yeah, I always liked the SOHC 750s through that period too, but if I could have just one of my previous bikes back, it would be the CBX - either one, my first or second (but the second one was better set up, with the factory GP bars and cables and yet another set of Denco 6-6)

in the mountains northeast of Atlanta, ex-wife and I rode up there to visit a friend
    VIN question-scan0066.jpg

second CBX (1980) as bought for $2000 in '90
    VIN question-1980-cbx-before.jpg

after GP bars, Dencos
    VIN question-1980-cbx.jpg

and the first CBX on the now-congested road in front of the salvage yard in '81 (gone now, of course)
    VIN question-cbx-wheelie-1981.jpg

and yeah, it's me - the only copy of the picture is hanging in my hallway
    VIN question-cbx-450-me.jpg
    Last edited by ancientdad; 07-13-2019 at 08:54 AM.
    BobbyPlayhouse and Bill H like this.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by ancientdad View Post
    Well, had a gearhead Dad... he passed at almost 88 in February of 2016. And yes, the advanges were tremendous - anything I wanted painted, regardless how I wanted it, he always did for me. Sometimes, like the 750K turned F, I'd just hand the stuff to him and say "just do something cool" - done. He was a master at paint and body, flawless work that always looked as good as factory. Never got to see my 450 build. Yeah, I always liked the SOHC 750s through that period too, but if I could have just one of my previous bikes back, it would be the CBX - either one, my first or second (but the second one was better set up, with the factory GP bars and cables and yet another set of Denco 6-6)
    I'm sorry to hear that. I'm glad you guys had your fun together!
    I can relate some on having a paint wiz for a dad. My old man loves the body work. That 6-6 musta cooked....Nice pics!
    2x 1973 CB350G

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyPlayhouse View Post
    I'm sorry to hear that. I'm glad you guys had your fun together!
    I can relate some on having a paint wiz for a dad. My old man loves the body work. That 6-6 musta cooked....Nice pics!
    We did have a lot of fun, both on projects and riding together when he was younger. We rode to Bike Week together on our 450s when I was a junior in high school (I had to talk him into it, he had no idea what it was all about). He raved for months after that about how many bikes were in one place at one time. The silver CBX ran 11.86 in the quarter at Bradenton drag strip with the baffles out - a half second quicker by just pulling the baffles, no rejet. Glad you have your Dad to lean on for body work, it's another talent that is slowly becoming lost in our "progress".

There's more of his paintwork in my only photo album here
    BobbyPlayhouse likes this.
    Tom

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links